South Shore Archery Zombie Slayers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ihavethetools

South Shore Archery Zombie Slayers

Post by ihavethetools »

I placed a call today to Jerry. I told him I wanted to tune my 18" Zombie Slayers with 125gr Slick Trick Magnums. Asked if I could heat the insert to tune with the broad head. He said NO, I would probably ruin the arrow because of the glue they use. I've done it before with other arrows and inserts without problems. Must have been much different glue. They aren't out that much and he said shoot them, they'll shoot just fine out of my 350. Will be shooting them this weekend. Just a heads up about heating the insert to tune, don't want to see anyone ruin a good arrow !
350 SE, Boo Custom String, Munch Alum Rope Cocker Hooks
Quake Sling, Hawke SB1 SR
Vixenmaster String,18" Zombie Slayers, Firenocks
DrStirrup dBKiller Limb Silencers & string bumpers.
bigbowman

Re: South Shore Archery Zombie Slayers

Post by bigbowman »

The glue that SAS uses is extraordinary! Heat doesn’t budge it without cracking, splitting or just out breaking the end of the arrow! Plus, he glues the Entire insert 100% not just 2 spots like factory and other fletchers do. FYI ... I used little o-rings on the shaft of the broadhead and just tightened the fixed blades until they lined up with the fletchings. Never had one loosen up in all the years that I used fixed blades! Good luck
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Ihave , there is a insert that you can use and it is made by Ethics Archery . the insert spins . I use them and they work like a dream when the arrow is in flight the broad head does not turn just the arrow . and when it hits it's target you don't lose and power there for you get better penetration. if you want more info pm me .
W.M.
ThackMan

Post by ThackMan »

W.Miguire wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:38 pm
Ihave , there is a insert that you can use and it is made by Ethics Archery . the insert spins . I use them and they work like a dream when the arrow is in flight the broad head does not turn just the arrow . and when it hits it's target you don't lose and power there for you get better penetration. if you want more info pm me .
W.M.
I've been using these "spinning" inserts also and have come to love them.

BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Now they have a new one without the long end it looks just like a reg. insert 135 gn. that is the one I have been using. I also have the one that you have .they both work great.
W.M.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

ihavethetools wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:15 pm
I placed a call today to Jerry. I told him I wanted to tune my 18" Zombie Slayers with 125gr Slick Trick Magnums. Asked if I could heat the insert to tune with the broad head. He said NO, I would probably ruin the arrow because of the glue they use. I've done it before with other arrows and inserts without problems. Must have been much different glue. They aren't out that much and he said shoot them, they'll shoot just fine out of my 350. Will be shooting them this weekend. Just a heads up about heating the insert to tune, don't want to see anyone ruin a good arrow !
What do you want to tune? Slick Tricks are 4 blade and you have 3 fletchings. My experience is that 4 blades fly pretty well no matter the orientation. HOWEVER>>> make sure the Slick Trick spins true. If there is ANY runout on the tip when you spin them, loosen them and mess with the washer and reseat them until you get then to spin perfectly. Then they should fly very well for you. FYI the washer has a rounded and a flat edge. Make sure the flat edge goes against the insert.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Others disagree ,but l never bothered orientating slicks....lt never mattered at hunting distances on my bolts.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

longbow joe wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:17 pm
Others disagree ,but l never bothered orientating slicks....lt never mattered at hunting distances on my bolts.
I totally agree, if they don't fly great, I don't buy them anymore. I shoot each one of the four in my quiver that I'm going to hunt with, and touch up the blades.
Ready to go!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
SummitSitter

Post by SummitSitter »

For the guys shooting 3 blade fixed broadheads...do you see a need to “tune” the blades to the fletching? I’ve been told that it’s not necessary...
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

SummitSitter wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:16 am
For the guys shooting 3 blade fixed broadheads...do you see a need to “tune” the blades to the fletching? I’ve been told that it’s not necessary...
I normally line my Montecs up with the fletching just because I'm anal that way but I have shot them misaligned and saw no difference in point of impact within 50yds.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
Boo

Post by Boo »

If it were necessary, 4 and 2 blade broadheads would not fly well at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4E6gVQTJ-o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8yVz64Gbg8

I think that the reason it isn't necessary is because what little turbulence caused by the broadhead blades does not reach the fletchings.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
SummitSitter

Post by SummitSitter »

Bcxbow wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:32 am
SummitSitter wrote:
I normally line my Montecs up with the fletching just because I'm anal that way but I have shot them misaligned and saw no difference in point of impact within 50yds.
Same with me...for bowhunting with a compound bow, I would always line up the blades with the fletching. I haven’t been doing it with the crossbow and haven’t had any issues...
janesy

Post by janesy »

SummitSitter wrote:
What Boo said.
I have adjustable innerloc I've tested them in every conceivable position from 4 different bows. No difference at all at hunting ranges that I could see
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
ihavethetools

Post by ihavethetools »

Thanks for all the input. I spent some time and by mixing and switching blades, was able to get them spinning true. Waiting for my 18-1 to arrive so I can see how they fly. I did take one shot into into my older foam block target and buried it 3" into the target ! All i could see was the green light from the green Firenock. I was able to cut around the arrow and save the fletching, arrow is fine, I expect no problems getting them to hit where they're supposed to. Thanks everyone.
350 SE, Boo Custom String, Munch Alum Rope Cocker Hooks
Quake Sling, Hawke SB1 SR
Vixenmaster String,18" Zombie Slayers, Firenocks
DrStirrup dBKiller Limb Silencers & string bumpers.
ThackMan

Post by ThackMan »

SummitSitter wrote:
NOPE
BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr