FOC Broadhead - Entry Holes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

racking up points

FOC Broadhead - Entry Holes

Post by racking up points »

I have had good success with this broadhead over the last 3 years and I’ve been fortunate to take 6 animals with short, bloody trails. I’ve been using a Matrix 410 with 415gn Spynal Tapps and on the recommendation of many shooters here, I double dental band them.

Out of the 6 kills, all 6 arrows passed through completely and left massive exit wounds. But 3/6 of them didn’t open on entry and left quarter sized entry holes. This concerns me because I don’t expect I’ll always get pass throughs with a 3” cut and shot placement won’t always be perfect; what if I hit the near side shoulder? I’m going to start shooting them without a band, or possibly with just one and see if that makes a difference. I’m loving this BH but I’m not confident it’s going to open on contact.

Has anyone else experienced this with the FOC?
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
longbow joe

Re: FOC Broadhead - Entry Holes

Post by longbow joe »

Its just my worthless opinion but from my regular spitfire experience l think the banding might be the issue.maby go to one band . I have been using two micro globs of rtv silicone about one eight inch down from the tip instead of banding lts working pretty well so far in my friends 405 using the foc totally opening on entry and not opening in flight. I have really been considering the foc lately. Nothing but great reviews .....unless a shoulder hit was done and that is not the focs fault although the hunter always seems to blame the equipment first instead of themselves.The suburban areas l hunt its awfully lmportant for me to drop these deer fast so any broadhead thats that devastating gets my attention.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
venison

Post by venison »

Just my 2 cents on what i think of SHWACKERS BLACK EAGLE EXCUTIONER 110 GR INSERT 3 INCH BOHING X VANES FLY LIKE DARTS 1.75 shwackers ive been shooting them since they came out .. ive killed 50 or more deer lost count i shot 6 last year with them and 3 of them didnt go 20 yds they fly true as a field point and had complete pass threw with them even threw both shoulders ..They are a awesome broad head and always are in my quiver ..AND MY ARROW IN THE DIRT ALONG WITH DIRT NAP DEERS :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post by newbie »

Where are you putting the bands? It sounds like they are too tight and opening inside when they encounter more resistance.
Although this has nothing to do with your question my swhackers have always opened and always a bigger cut going in then out. this year I had again made a quartering to shot as i though she was more square then it turned out but my exit plugged up with a 4x3 hunk of fat. Not one drop of blood as low exit was plugged tight. Still dropped in 25 yards and the 2" will continue to be my go to.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!