Adding picatinny rail to scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

shafferm

Adding picatinny rail to scope

Post by shafferm »

The newer scopes are leaving less and less room to add accessories. The front bell is wide open for adding a clamp with a picatinny rail. I measured the scope front bell and came up with a clamp mount that also has a small section of picatinny rail. With a bit of cad work and some time on the printer I came up with the following.

Here it is with a 1 inch scope ring attached, if there is much interest then I would probably add in a captive nut and a smaller side tab into the cad model. The quick test print feels pretty solidly attached even with the clamp nut finger tight.
Last edited by shafferm on Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers
foofoo

Re: Adding picatinny rail to scope

Post by foofoo »

ive done it but in general dont like strapping anything to my scopes.just me but im afraid the recoil or added weight will tweak the scope tube and rattle the insides of a scope. i found many styles of clamps for lights and things available on ebay for 1 inch and 30mm tubes.
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

Good looking gun!
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

That is a nice looking setup, that rimfire should be well tamed by 6 screws per scope ring. I had seen some of the other scope top ring replacements that add a section of rail. Not sure that I would want to pay the additional price that SWFA is asking for their rings. Would rather go with a plastic mount to make it as a breakaway in the event that it ever got dropped or the like. Definitely far cheaper to hit print with a cad model than it would be to replace the scope rings.
2002 Exomag
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Custom built lit nocks
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

one_lion

Post by one_lion »

Hello shafferm,

Although I cannot see the picture on the post, I can see it on google images, the ring looks great, would you be willing to share your stl file?

I'd like to print it and try a gopro on my dead zone scope for my micro 335.

I was thinking into modifying a 3d printed picatinny rail to use where the tac pac would mount but this could be much easier.

Thanks
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

One lion,

Welcome to the forum and yes I would be willing to share the stl file for this. I also put together a version of the ring with a piece gopro connector setup as you mentioned that is what you were wanting to be able to mount onto the bow. It should be a bit easier to mount a gopro with the later version instead of the picatinny version. Send me an email and I can then send you the stl files, my email is my username here followed by [email protected]

Here is what the cad model looks like for the other mount setup that I put together.

2002 Exomag
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Custom built lit nocks