Checking Arrows After the Kill

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

Checking Arrows After the Kill

Post by ko4nrbs »

I have retrieved all 3 arrows I killed deer with the past couple of days and was wondering what to look for when inspecting them. I cleaned them well with soap and water then held them under a lighted magnifying lamp. Didn't see any cracks, etc. and they roll flat on my table. Not really a spin test but it's all I have available for now. I plan on shooting them with field tips before they go back in my hunting pile.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
Boo

Re: Checking Arrows After the Kill

Post by Boo »

Flex and twist them. Listen for any noise and look for cracks to open up.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Boo wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:50 pm
Flex and twist them. Listen for any noise and look for cracks to open up.
I will. Thank you!!
Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

To make a cheap spin tester just get 4 equal size marbles and glue 2 together at one end of a board and the other 2 at the other end of the board. Lay arrow across both sets of marbles and spin it !

As far as checking arrows here ya go.

https://eastonarchery.com/warning-use/
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I spect yer talkin those carbon new fangled jobs :lol: Cause alum. its easy to tell if'en they are bent. I ck'ed my 2219 yesterday, it spun good but the Torrid SS Mech. blade came back cut into the front insert. So i heated the arrow n pulled it out n put anudder in its place.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

vixenmaster wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:55 pm
I spect yer talkin those carbon new fangled jobs :lol: Cause alum. its easy to tell if'en they are bent. I ck'ed my 2219 yesterday, it spun good but the Torrid SS Mech. blade came back cut into the front insert. So i heated the arrow n pulled it out n put anudder in its place.
I use the 100 grain Carbon Express Torrid SS. The little aluminum collar I slip on to make the head 100 grain absorbs the punishment so my arrows are spared.

If I do my part the Torrid SS punches a pretty big hole through a deer's lungs. I use two 1/8 inch medium rubber bands on them with my Exomax to make sure they don't open in flight. Have shot them a lot target practicing and none have opened in flight.

Have got them on clearance for as little as $5.00 for a 3 pack. This allows me to target shoot with the real thing and not spend a lot of money.

If they didn't perform in the woods I wouldn't use them for sure. Have killed four deer with them and the furthest retrieve was about 50 yards and the shortest was 20 yards.

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I had to refletch this arrow with nap quick fletch after killing a doe. Boil in water for 10 seconds and as good as new.
[url=https://postimg.org/image/t16vwk2rd/]Image
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I use 2" feathers - which many people think are too flimsy and fragile. I left a few arrows sit for about a month after putting them through some deer. When I had some time, I cleaned them up. The feathers were all matted down and gross in dried blood. I simply washed out with dish soap and cold water and got all the blood out and then dried them with a hairdryer. They don't look exactly perfect like before (but are pretty darn close and if I felt like steaming them I could make them exact) , but they work exactly as before. In fact I put one through that doe this weekend.

Don't be afraid to try them out. They give very good control no matter the temperature and are pretty tough. You can abuse them quite a bit before they need replaced. And they add a traditional touch to your setup.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I used mine as an 85 gr Hustler :lol: I band mine wid a Dental 3/16 " heavy band on my Pipsqueak n others. I have some odds n in's of assorted B-Heads i want to use up this yr. I think i have too many tho, have about 10 of the Torrid SS, 9 more of the AXE Bone Crusher, 6 Strikers, 1 dz Spitfire 1 1/2", 6 of those Grim Reapers thingys. Then i can get back on to my standards i use, yup i traded fer most of these. Call it the wonder if'en this one will work or is a samolian grabber :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315