Grounded

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

papabear1

Grounded

Post by papabear1 »

Well looks like i'm getting close to the end of hunting from a tree, been having trouble tripping while walking thru the woods lately,
and feeling unstable climbing up in my ladder stands. :( and trouble with getting my hands to not jerk when I try to do anything,
so I went to the Dr. to see what is going on. Well he says without extensive test, I am probably in the early stages of parkinsons desease,
as my hands do weird things when I try to do simple things , and it does run in my family, 3 aunts one brother and my mother had it really bad. Just moving the curser on this screen is a joke in itself, and I have trouble with my balance. So I guess my hunting is coming to an end :( But I will always see what is going on here on the forum.

Good luck to all. :D
Be safe in all your hunts, and be kind to your fellow hunters.
Keep God and Family in your prayers.

Dave :D
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
janesy

Re: Grounded

Post by janesy »

They are making strides everyday Dave, don't give up! But do stay safe, two feet planted sounds like a good idea
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Good luck with the treatment when, and if necessary. My Uncle had it bad, he died about 12 years ago. They have come a long way with treatment!
Take care Dave,
Dan
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Sorry to hear of your condition but keep hunting !- it's mental therapy for me

build you a great ground shack/blind with a window mounted /padded rest to steady your crossbow and keep hunting as long as possible -

I've repeated to several hunting buddy's= strap me on a quad - carry the gurney to the blind - don't go hunting without me !

leaving tomorrow am 3 weeks in wisc crossbow deer +, extra's etc.

damned groin /hip muscle still causing fits first thing in am but I'm a goin! guess i'll be an afternoon - evening hunter- lol

don't like takin pain pills unless it's crying time but hey whatever it takes!

-
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Sorry to hear you may have Parkinsons .With my MS things change every day I have given up tree stands along time ago. I have learned to adjust /adapt to whatever is thrown at me I don't walk in rough uneven areas anymore I use a cane or walking stick and use a 4 wheeler to get to my blinds I may have to change crossbows because my M330 is getting harder and harder to cock even with a cranker . What I am getting at is don't give up just adjust/adapt for as long as you can. I know it is hard to do .
Last edited by hunter with MS on Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Dont give up . Get a nice gillie suite .maby you can find a partner to go with .
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
galamb

Post by galamb »

Dave I will echo some of the comments you have received here.

My wife was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's 18 years ago (at the age of 39). She is now 57 and on a cocktail of meds.

While I will concede that she is not 100% she is more than stable enough that she climbs the 12 foot step ladder to pick cherries (she is adamant that the birds are not going to get a single one of "her" cherries) and has never fallen - in fact she rarely loses her balance at all. And often times, due to the dopamine that she takes, she has three or four times the energy that I have.

The disease can be well controlled, the progression slowed down and most of your function will be as good as ever BUT do find a doctor that specializes in movement disorders (typically Parkinson's and MS) and keeps up to date on the latest treatments - a general "quack" just never has the experience so we travel about 3 hours twice a year so she can see a Doc that stays on the leading edge.

Having the disease sucks but it is very manageable and shouldn't end your days in the field. While my wife doesn't hunt she almost always accompanies me on upland hunts and it is I that has trouble keeping up.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

My dad has it. Don't let it stop you. You just have to adapt to the new situation. As others mentioned, go with someone that can help. Hunt from the ground or ground blinds. My dad even went to a lighter deer rifle and limits how far he will shoot. He has threatened to quit in frustration after missing a big buck, but he was in the woods today with his muzzleloader.

Best of luck to you.

Duckhunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I'm a member of Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America we try and help people who are disabled due to Illness or injury to stay hunting and in the field . Our statement is Bowhunting is the best therapy in the world .
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Dave my friend that opened up the ground blind game. Natural n made stay on the ground n enjoy it
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Trentco1

Post by Trentco1 »

Bottom line don’t give up
Micro 355
Hawke xb30 pro scope T&T Triger boo force 10 string Zombie slayers 16.5 arrows c/w right helical blazer vanes aluminum nocks or lumenoks
Micro 315
Tact zone scope force 10 string 16" inch executioner arrows aluminum nocks or lumenoks
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Dave, I'm certainly sorry to hear this news. As mentioned above, don't give up....adapt. As many of us age, we move from stands to blinds. If I'm in a blind I always use a trigger stix bipod and I have no physical challenges. There's also a bogpod for steady shooting. And remember, there's always the comradery from the wonderful members on this forum. Best wishes...you'll be in my prayers. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
mikej

Post by mikej »

Stick with it , don't give up on it yet try a ground blind to keep you in the field . All the best
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

That's a tough thing to find out but try to treat as a 'bump in road'. You can get through it still doing the things you love - don't give up. We have a great ability to adapt to challenges and attitude is very important. My motto has been 'it could be worse, I'll make the most of it'. Worked for me dealing with Leukemia and the mess the chemo did to my body and heart.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Trentco1 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:50 pm
Bottom line don’t give up
x2
i don't know a lot about the disease but in my case i could have easily thrown in the towel after my closed head injury accident in 1990 that left me in coma for 32 days and several physical issues. but i did not give in and after a lot of changes in the ways that i used to hunt i am still enjoying my hunting time as much as i used to and in a way more so cuz its more rewarding for me when i have to put a little more effort to accomplish something. don't give up are words to live by imo. and if you enjoy doing something it is worth the effort it takes to continue to enjoy it.
good luck
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife