What's a shooter to you?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Buszone

Re: What's a shooter to you?

Post by Buszone »

Here in the badger state we get 1 bow tag buck and 1 gun tag buck restriction is 1 horn 3" min. we get 2 doe tags for both gun and bow and depending on your desire no limit on does tags providing you pay $12 each.
"I'm with Wabi " that and the wife places the food order each September! this year she wants 3 I'm not picky till I get the order filled :lol: We are meat eaters.
I actually think the obsession on big racked bucks has hurt the sport and taken a lot of the fun out of it .I think every deer is a trophy IMO
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
janesy

Post by janesy »

I only get one tag. Typical a buck or doe, but that's a draw. So for me it's a tough one. I've yet to get a deer with an arrow. Always shotgun.
So this year I've passed on 4 does, only because I don't want to end my season.
So what's a shooter to me? The one that hangs up my bow for the year. It's bittersweet.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Saltybuck

Post by Saltybuck »

One buck tag. Sitka blacktail's with a bow in dense pacific bush. If its got horn of any size... it hits freezer. Can't be to fussy cause there so elusive. :wink:
Micro Suppressor
Vixenmaster String
TN Zombies
Quickest way to insanity... chasing Sitka Blacktails
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Buszone wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:59 am
Here in the badger state we get 1 bow tag buck and 1 gun tag buck restriction is 1 horn 3" min. we get 2 doe tags for both gun and bow and depending on your desire no limit on does tags providing you pay $12 each.
"I'm with Wabi " that and the wife places the food order each September! this year she wants 3 I'm not picky till I get the order filled :lol: We are meat eaters.
I actually think the obsession on big racked bucks has hurt the sport and taken a lot of the fun out of it .I think every deer is a trophy IMO
I agree.... The past couple years I have been harvesting 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 year old does or spikes to get some good tender freezer meat.
There are some nice bucks in our area, and I would shoot one given the opportunity though.
I will be leaving for the cabin tonight or tomorrow morning and will sitting in one stand or another all weekend. :mrgreen:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

janesy wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:31 pm
So what's a shooter to me? The one that hangs up my bow for the year. It's bittersweet.
Wow, that's harsh! One tag period. That would certainly change my definition of a shooter. I'd have to move. :lol:

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

I agree.... The past couple years I have been harvesting 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 year old does or spikes to get some good tender freezer meat.
There are some nice bucks in our area, and I would shoot one given the opportunity though.
I will be leaving for the cabin tonight or tomorrow morning and will sitting in one stand or another all weekend. :mrgreen:
[/quote]

pack plenty of clothes... sounds like there are chances for snow at night in ur neck of the woods... good luck
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

The first one that gives me a shot I’m not picky :D
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

I personally don’t shoot fawns, doe’s with fawns or 1 1/2 year old bucks, everything else is on the menu.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have been thinkin since i made my earlier post. I am Blessed that i can take unlimited Doe's n they are my meat supply. They jus eat better than big older Bucks. A Buck as a shooter to me can be most any of them but i have gotten to where i choose them fer Rack character. I have never killed a Spike wid long over 9" Spikes, so one of those is on my list. Any Buck that s antlers that show character like the one in my avatar i will shoot. Spread means nutten to me :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

vixenmaster wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:27 am
I have been thinkin since i made my earlier post. I am Blessed that i can take unlimited Doe's n they are my meat supply. They jus eat better than big older Bucks. A Buck as a shooter to me can be most any of them but i have gotten to where i choose them fer Rack character. I have never killed a Spike wid long over 9" Spikes, so one of those is on my list. Any Buck that s antlers that show character like the one in my avatar i will shoot. Spread means nutten to me :)
I agree Mike, I guess when it comes down to it I don’t decide what I will shoot until it is standing in front of me. After all isn’t that what it’s all about, pleasing ourselves and not someone else?
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Bcxbow wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:36 am
vixenmaster wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:27 am
I agree Mike, I guess when it comes down to it I don’t decide what I will shoot until it is standing in front of me. After all isn’t that what it’s all about, pleasing ourselves and not someone else?
Absolutely, its our choice n i love to hunt so i really pass on young dinks unless they have rack character! :D
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Fullquiver

Post by Fullquiver »

First good sized doe gets an arrow. Usually out of venison by the opener so hunt for the freezer first then I get selective... Have yet to go out on a sit and not have a shot opportunity.. So many deer this year and have hunted just half a dozen times and could have killed a pile if wanted... Just looking for a good 3 1/2 year old buck....
A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

With our one and done . It is hard to shoot the first deer that comes by . Some may say get it done and over with . Not me !!!
I actually enjoy all parts of the season . But really enjoy late season .
So a shooter for me is a deer that I am willing to end my 2017 season with .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

mikej wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:50 pm
I'm in a 1 deer per year area , so for me it's a spread outside the ears and usually 8 or better however my biggest to date was a monster 6 pt
Same here but we have 4 point to side rule now here in pa and its great..I passed on Buck this week he was only 2 year old Buck so letting him grow..
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Bcxbow wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:44 am
I personally don’t shoot fawns, doe’s with fawns or 1 1/2 year old bucks, everything else is on the menu.
Thanks for being Sportsman :)