Lesson Learned

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Jcotrel1

Lesson Learned

Post by Jcotrel1 »

This is my first year crossbow hunting as I converted from the compound bow due to vision issues. Got the bow over the summer and have been shooting quite a bit. Traveled from New York City to Kentucky last week to my buddy's farm. On the third day, I had a shooter 9 pt come in at 27 yards. Put the cross hairs on him and squeezed the trigger. Something didn't sound right. I didn't see my Lumenok light up and the deer walked a few feet, looked around and kept feeding. No idea what happened. No idea where the bolt went. Somehow, I was able to load another bolt while in the stand. Ranged him at 30 yards. Put the cross hairs a few inches high and squeezed. Saw the Lumenok but the bolt was all squirrely. Complete miss. Again the deer kept feeding. I loaded yet another bolt but he never came back in for a shot. He continued to feed at 60+ yards. Back at the cabin to target shoot, I realized the bolts were stopping about an inch short of the string. I forced it in a few times and cleared up whatever was in there. I'm thinking debris got stuck in the rail as I pulled it up the tree. Shot the bow at 20 and 30 and was right on target. From now on, I will only hoist it up the tree from the stock end and be damn sure the bolt is seated properly.
Matrix Grizz2
18" Diablo
150gr Bolt Cutters
Boo

Re: Lesson Learned

Post by Boo »

Load the bow when you hoist it up. I would never pull up a loaded bow just like I'd never pull up a loaded gun. Too many things can go wrong :shock:
You're lucky that your limbs survived the semi dryfire :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Jcotrel1

Post by Jcotrel1 »

I cocked it on the ground, put the safety on, pulled it up then loaded a bolt.
Matrix Grizz2
18" Diablo
150gr Bolt Cutters
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I cock mine on the ground, put my pull up rope through the thumbhole, and hoist it up pointing down. Never had an issue. I do look to make sure my arrow is seated every time.
Good luck.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

A friend of mine had an arrow work loose while tracking big buck. Didn't notice it until he spotted the buck and fired. The arrow barely left the track and fell in 3 pieces in front of the crossbow. My friend's right handed took a beating but except for bruises and a few small cuts he was ok and very lucky.

I check my arrow frequently while in the stand or the Ground Blind to make sure it is fully seated. My friend does to now!!
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Another thing to be aware of is I have had a case were I put the bolt in far enough to deactivate the ADF but not seated on the string you get a crazy arrow .
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

My first time using Lumenok arrows,the vane did not sit completely flat on the rail causing the string not to be center on the nock which resulted in a semi dry fire ruining the arrow and vanes.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I always double check when I'm in the stand to see if bolt is all the way back.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
mikej

Post by mikej »

I'm also always checking periodically , that is also part of my routine before taking the safety off on a buck
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective