G5 Deadmeat Expandables performance?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

deerman41

G5 Deadmeat Expandables performance?

Post by deerman41 »

Just picked up a pack of these to try, haven't sighted in yet. Currently shooting 100gr Ramcats but not satisfied with accuracy, just not as accurate as Spitfires I used to shoot. Anyone have good experience with these?
Matrix 350 LE, Hawke XB 30 Pro SR,Trigger Tech, ADF,Danny Miller bumpers, Leupold Vendetta 2 rangefinder
Tactacam
18" Spynal Tapps,110 gr inserts, 100gr Sevr

Lumenoks
vixenmaster Force 10 string,
Charger EXT crank
SEW

Re: G5 Deadmeat Expandables performance?

Post by SEW »

I think if it's made by G5, it's good. Question: why are you not still shooting Spitfires? They remain the broadhead I always go back to.
SW
deerman41

Post by deerman41 »

SEW wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:43 am
I think if it's made by G5, it's good. Question: why are you not still shooting Spitfires? They remain the broadhead I always go back to.
SW
Lost a big buck, thought I had a double lug shot, watched lumenok take a sharp turn upon exit, I'm thinking it deflected off front side rib missing off side lung. Haunting me as to what actually went wrong.
The Deadmeat are rear deploying.
Matrix 350 LE, Hawke XB 30 Pro SR,Trigger Tech, ADF,Danny Miller bumpers, Leupold Vendetta 2 rangefinder
Tactacam

Lumenoks
Charger EXT crank
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

deerman41 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:03 am
Just picked up a pack of these to try, haven't sighted in yet. Currently shooting 100gr Ramcats but not satisfied with accuracy, just not as accurate as Spitfires I used to shoot. Anyone have good experience with these?
Look at your arrows. My Ramcats are FP accurate out to 40 (longest I can shoot). Anytime you have fixed blades that do not fly well when FPs do, you have an arrow that is not spinning true
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I bought some of the Ramcats from another member here, and they fly perfectly to my field points as well. You must make sure all three blades are locked all the way back, and snug up the screws that hold them in position, Left Hand threads!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

I would echo what Keith and Dan said you have something else going on if the RamCat's don't fly true. I see no difference out to 40yds versus my FPs. My son shot a nice 10pt this past weekend (vintage 335 micro) and hit next to last rib on a qrt away shot took out a lung sliced the heart and cut the wind pipe in half buck went less then 20 yds we washed off the arrow and BH tightened the blades and she is good to go again. We both are shooting the 100gr. head with the 125 gr. replacement blades for a 11/2" dia. cut :D
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
deerman41

Post by deerman41 »

Buszone wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:43 pm
I would echo what Keith and Dan said you have something else going on if the RamCat's don't fly true. I see no difference out to 40yds versus my FPs. My son shot a nice 10pt this past weekend (vintage 335 micro) and hit next to last rib on a qrt away shot took out a lung sliced the heart and cut the wind pipe in half buck went less then 20 yds we washed off the arrow and BH tightened the blades and she is good to go again. We both are shooting the 100gr. head with the 125 gr. replacement blades for a 11/2" dia. cut :D
I don't understand why my arrows are to blame, they are dead on out to 60 yds with field points and Spitfires. I have custom arrows from South Shore Archery, 18" Spynal Tapps 3" blazers 1 degree offset,spine indexed .001 straight, 110gr inserts, lumenoks. Maybe next I will order 2" vanes with helical offset. I really would like to shoot a fixed blade. I've tried Slick Tricks, Muzzy and Ramcat, Ramcat grouped 3" at 40 yds, not acceptable to me. I spin tested and tightened the blades properly.
I just read another post about sighting in with 1 arrow only, that probably is my problem as I shot 3 different arrows for group. I'm still learning. Will shoot Ramcats and Deadmeat expandable again using 1 arrow.
Tactacam

Lumenoks
Charger EXT crank
galamb

Post by galamb »

I buy my arrows in dozen lots.

I take each arrow and write a number, in pen, on the cock vane - 1 through 12.

Then I shoot them all five times each at 25 yards (bow in a shooting vice) and chart exactly where they hit.

The four of that group that consistently landed closest together (from the charted results) become my four "hunting" arrows.

The next best four are the "back-ups" because I know some of my primaries are going to get toasted and then the remaining four become my target arrows.

I do that because even though I use (better) arrows it gives me "my matched" arrows and I tweak my sights (reflex sight) with the "hunters".

Then they each get tested one more time with a sacrificial broadhead and any final sight tweaking is done.

Sometimes the difference between the points of impact of the (three groups) is quite significant - like 4" different at 25 yards.

But that is the best way I know how to "start off" taking care of as many variables as I can.

If after sorting I get erratic flight amongst the bunch with a given broadhead the only thing that can be to blame is the broadhead because I am sure about those four arrows.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I must be the luckiest man in America, i have not had these types of issues with several GOOD Brands of fixed heads. I had to readjust my scope to a few brands, then got sub 2" groups to 40 yards with them. Squaring both ends of the shafts goes a long way, and it is one of the reasons I started making my arrows years ago. You just don't get that quality out of factory arrows! It does not take much to throw an arrow off at 30 yards, or more. JMHO!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
deerman41

Post by deerman41 »

galamb wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:20 pm

Then I shoot them all five times each at 25 yards (bow in a shooting vice) and chart exactly where they hit.

The four of that group that consistently landed closest together (from the charted results) become my four "hunting" arrows.

The next best four are the "back-ups" because I know some of my primaries are going to get toasted and then the remaining four become my target arrows.

I do that because even though I use (better) arrows it gives me "my matched" arrows and I tweak my sights (reflex sight) with the "hunters".

Then they each get tested one more time with a sacrificial broadhead and any final sight tweaking is done.

Sometimes the difference between the points of impact of the (three groups) is quite significant - like 4" different at 25 yards.

But that is the best way I know how to "start off" taking care of as many variables as I can.

If after sorting I get erratic flight amongst the bunch with a given broadhead the only thing that can be to blame is the broadhead because I am sure about those four arrows.
Thanks galamb, looks like I have been going at it willy nilly, I will certainly try your method.
Tactacam

Lumenoks
Charger EXT crank
Boo

Post by Boo »

I locate my cock vanes with a Ram Tester ( just bought a Firenock PAPS) and if one doesn't group with the rest, I try diff vanes as the cock vane.
I think that when you get one that won't group with the rest no matter what you do, there's something wrong with the shaft so I toss them.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
deerman41

Post by deerman41 »

Boo wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:02 am
I locate my cock vanes with a Ram Tester ( just bought a Firenock PAPS) and if one doesn't group with the rest, I try diff vanes as the cock vane.
I think that when you get one that won't group with the rest no matter what you do, there's something wrong with the shaft so I toss them.
Thanks Boo, I've already had to toss 1 out of a dozen
Tactacam

Lumenoks
Charger EXT crank
Bcwn

Post by Bcwn »

Have you had a chance to get any solid data on those new G5s I've got my eye on the havoc crossbow line, not sure if you saw those. I'm picking up a pack today. Did you get a chance to look at the Ballistic match point head for the dead meat line.

Brad
Mad max 380
Stock string
Dr stirrup kit
Zombie slayers
Rage Hypodermic 100 gr
Leupold Crossbones
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

I have the G5 havoc crossbow broadhead. Those blades are super sharp and they fly really well from my bulldog 400. Takes some practice to get the blades reset
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
deerman41

Post by deerman41 »

galamb wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:20 pm

Long story short I found my best 3 arrows. Shot 1 arrow with field point, same arrow with deadmeat practice head, 1/2" apart. I thought this is gonna be easy shooting deadmeat broadhead, It shot 3" right & 8" low same arrow. next shot 4" left 6" high. Examined broadhead and 1 blade wouldn't snap into place like it should in plastic keeper, probably why it was shooting wild.Too much to go wrong with these heads. Shot Ramcat 2" left, adjusted scope and was dead on! Now shooting 1-1/2" group at 40 yds, I can certainly live with that! Want to thank everyone for helping this hard headed old man!
Tactacam

Lumenoks
Charger EXT crank