3"Blazer 1 degree offset VS 2"helical input

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

deerman41

3"Blazer 1 degree offset VS 2"helical input

Post by deerman41 »

Gonna order new spynal tapps from South Shore Archery, Would helicals shoot fixed broadheads better?
Matrix 350 LE, Hawke XB 30 Pro SR,Trigger Tech, ADF,Danny Miller bumpers, Leupold Vendetta 2 rangefinder
Tactacam
18" Spynal Tapps,110 gr inserts, 100gr Sevr

Lumenoks
vixenmaster Force 10 string,
Charger EXT crank
Boo

Re: 3"Blazer 1 degree offset VS 2"helical input

Post by Boo »

For short/normal hunting ranges, go for as much helical as you can get. While over longer ranges helical will slow down an arrow, it will make an arrow shoot straighter. Helical spins the arrow more and more spin is better at making up for all the small imperfections like shafts not perfectly straight and broadhead alignment that isn't quite perfect.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

IN my experience absolutely yes. If you are hunting with fixed heads, helcal is the way to go. And 2" blazers or whatever put on with helical will do just fine. I actually shoot 2" feathers put on with helical and can control a wide range of BHs just fine for huntng.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
SEW

Post by SEW »

A couple of years ago, I did a test of 3 fletchings for Boo. 18" Zombies, 210 g insert/point weight.
SK200 - helical
SK300 - offset
Blazers - helical
and my own arrows - Blazers 2 degree offset.

Serious benchrest techniques were used at 80 & 100 yds.

With field points - nearly all were equally accurate
With FOCs and Spitfires - 300 most accurate, helical Blazers almost as good, offset Blazers & helical 200s next but close
With Thunderheads - 300s - best, helical Blazers very close to 300s , significantly down the line - helical SK200s, then offset Blazers.
Helical has more drag/drop. Out to 60 yds the drop is negligible, by 100 yds, its significant.
Helical significantly helps fixed blade broadheads but not much for FOCs of Spitfires. Virtually none for field points.

I'm shooting Spitfires and Carni4s. Currently using helical Blazers (since I have these in adequate #s) but would prefer 2 degree offset (but only have 2 such arrows with heavy enough inserts to help offset my recently added Lumenoks).

Summary: helical helps with fixed broadheads but maybe no help at all with some expandibles and no help with field points.
Offset is not straight fletch.