Safety on or off?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cadmaster

Re: Safety on or off?

Post by cadmaster »

I was always worried about XB safety while Cocking the crossbow and loading it (maybe a little too much, but maybe not after seeing some of the injuries that can occur). I like my fingers for some strange reason so as soon as it is cocked the safety goes on regardless of what I am doing and after that the only time the safety is off is to fire it or decock it. I was/am paranoid about the triangle of pain as I recognized right off it could do some serious damage if a accidental discharge occurred while I had my hand or fingers in the wrong place. I never put my hand into the triangle of pain and usually load the bolt from as far forward as reasonable. though I will use a finger tip or two to make sure the bolt is seated properly while hunting, but only after checking the safety which I do quite often, even more often than with my rifle as the thumb safety is more easily accidentally moved while hunting compared to the safety on my Remington 870 and 7600.
mikej

Re: Safety on or off?

Post by mikej »

paulaboutform wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:11 pm
1. Cock bow
2. Engage safety
3. Remove the hooks of the cocking aid from the string
4. Load arrow

***This is the process every time, 100% of the time, no matter what. The safety only comes off to pull the trigger. That's my routine....always.

Paul
Good advice , same for me . I always check that the arrow is still properly seated on the rail against the string tightly before taking the safety off too
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective