Micro.slayer

Canning my Deer

Post by Micro.slayer »

Started canning my Deer about 6 years ago. The taste can’t be topped
ThackMan

Re: Canning my Deer

Post by ThackMan »

Recipe? :)
BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr
munch

Post by munch »

A couple years I would cube up deer meat and take it to an Amish family I know and have it caned I think it tastes great that way as well .
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
munch

Post by munch »

A couple years I would cube up deer meat and take it to an Amish family I know and have it caned I think it tastes great that way as well .
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts facebook
munch

Post by munch »

BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts facebook
wabi

Post by wabi »

Several years ago our freezer stopped working and we lost all the deer meat (and a lot of other food, too). Bought a new freezer and just after the warranty had expired (can't remember whether it was 2 or 3 years) I noticed a brown colored oily substance on the floor one morning. Sure enough - coolant, and everything was lost again.
Been canning the majority of meat ever since! Venison, beef, pork, and it all tastes good!
wabi
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

ThackMan wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:52 am
Recipe? :)
x2
Dave :D
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

this is the recipe I use :wink:

Ingredients
Pressure cooker
Clean canning jars I prefer wide mouth pint jars for canned venison.
Rings and new lids
½ teaspoon of non-iodized salt per pint jar
Black pepper
Cooking Instructions
The most important step in canning anything is to get to know your particular canner. I use a 22 quart Mirro brand pressure cooker, and have based these instructions on that model. Read the instruction booklet for your canner and tailor the amount of water and weight placement to it.
Begin by washing your jars, rings and lids in hot soapy water, then rinse well to make sure all soap residue is removed.
 Trim your venison into approximately one inch square chunks. Try to get as much fat and fascia (silverskin) off of the meat as possible.
Pack the jars tightly with meat, leaving ½ to 1 inch of headspace above the meat. If you notice any large air pockets along the side of a jar, work a butter knife down the pocket to release the trapped air and then push the meat down to fill the space.
To the top of each jar full of meat, sprinkle on ½ teaspoon (for quart jars, use 1 full teaspoon) of non-iodized salt
. Add a shake of black pepper and that’s it. Done. Finished. Nothing else is necessary for basic canned venison; the meat will make its own juice as it cooks.
After filling the jars and adding the seasoning, wipe the rim of each jar clean with a damp paper towel to make sure the lid is able to make full contact with the rim. Place a clean lid on each jar and screw the ring on finger tight.
Pour the recommended amount of water for your canner into the pot (for my canner, 3 quarts). Add one tablespoon of white vinegar. Gently place the jars into the canner; it is ok if the sides touch each other.
Start with your burner on high until you see steam escaping from the lid vent of your pressure cooker. Once the steam starts, wait ten minutes in order for all of the air inside the cooker to reach an equal temperature. Venison cans at ten pounds of pressure close to sea level, fifteen pounds for high altitudes. For my canner, that means I place a ten pound weight over the vent. Follow the instructions for your canner, as methods may vary from brand to brand.
Once your weight starts to jiggle and release a little steam, reduce the heat to between low and medium. You want just enough heat to maintain a boil inside the cooker. When you are at the correct temperature, you should see a bit of steam or a wiggle from your weight every ten to fifteen seconds.
If using pint jars, set a timer for 1 hour and 15 minutes. For quarts, go 1 hour and 30 minutes. Once time is up, turn off the heat and walk away. Let the temperature inside the canner slowly reduce until steam no longer escapes from the vent and the lid of the canner is loose enough to remove.
Using a jar lifter, carefully move the jars from the canner to a folded towel on the countertop. Continue to let the jars cool for several hours to overnight. As they cool, the lids will sound off with a “pop” as they seal themselves to the jar. Once the jars have cooled, you can test the seal by pushing down on the center of the lid. If the lid sinks then springs back up, the jar did not seal. Simply place that jar into the fridge and eat it over the next few days. Sealed jars will have a concave appearance to the lid and will not move if you press gently on their lids. At this point, the ring is no longer necessary to hold the lid on. If you have a jar with a questionable seal, just remove the ring and see if the lid remains tightly sealed to the jar rim. If it does, then that jar good to go.
Store canned venison out of direct sunlight. A cabinet or pantry is perfect. Don’t allow the contents to freeze, as the resulting expansion might break the jar. I like to mark the lids with the canning date in black permanent marker. Keep your jars rotated with the freshest ones at the back of the cabinet.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Bcwn

Post by Bcwn »

Gonna buy me a presto on pay day, can't wait to try this out I grew up watching my grandma can everything under the sun.

Brad
Mad max 380
Stock string
Dr stirrup kit
Zombie slayers
Rage Hypodermic 100 gr
Leupold Crossbones
Micro.slayer

Post by Micro.slayer »

Thackman everything brother Ron said. After water comes to boil wait 10 min before putting weight on top. To let pressure out. Not to little water. And to much water no good. Thackman. I cut up vadialla onion. Put one slice on bottom of ball jar. Tablespoon vinegar and canning salt. Rinse meat good with water and pat dry with paper towels. One roll may be used wth all meat. Pack meat in jar. Put onion on top vinegar and salt again. Don’t over tighten lid. Just snug. 60 min. Pint jars after the weight barley moves on top of pressure cooker turning heat down after you achieved boil. 90 min. On Qt. Jars. Turn off heat ( flame)
Never take weight off top of cooker until the relief valve pops up. Best tasting Deer meat ever! Melt in mouth
Micro.slayer

Post by Micro.slayer »

Make sure new lids sit in warm water for a while. That’s what makes the lid air tight seal
ThackMan

Post by ThackMan »

Thanks. :D Now I just have to get another deer so I have some meat to try it with.
BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

The best way ever, to enjoy your Deer meat! :mrgreen:
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

We can alot of ours, use salt n garlic powder. We put it up in wide mouth qts. We had 24 lbs of Summer Sausage made, we are goin to try the oven made Summer sausage in Dec. We have 2 hind qtrs to make jalapeno n cheese in wid it :D Should have about 40 lbs
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Tlyle

Post by Tlyle »

I have some venison in the freezer from last year. Looks like I may give canning a go.
Matrix 380, Zombie Slayers, TT 2.5
Matrix 360 Bulldog Blackout, TT 1.5
Shoot Straight, Eat Steak!