custom arrows question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bobcat

custom arrows question

Post by bobcat »

I'm getting ready to order some black eagles from south shore archery. i have a micro 335. i want to shorten my arrows so my broad heads dont stick out past the dr. stirrup. So im thinking a I like blazer vanes. I have a few questions:
1. zombie slayers or executioner which is better? There is about a $2.75 difference per arrow.
2. i'm not sure what knocks i should get. the flat aluminum are a dollar extra. not a big deal i just didnt know if aluminum was necessary?
3. Vane setback?
4. helical? offset? straight?
5 is it worth the extra 5 bucks an arrow for weight and spine matching? spine indexing is included.
xcaliber

Re: custom arrows question

Post by xcaliber »

On those short arrows, spine indexing yields nothing out to 50 yards.
Go helical, 1.25" setback
Yeas, the aluminum rear are nice if you have an Excalibur T-Handle arrow puller, works great. Tell him you want the genuine Black Eagle rear nocks in aluminum, the edges have a radius machined on them, and the are gentle on your serving. The Executioners will do fine, the Zombies have a heavier spine, but at 16.5" you'll never notice any difference.

Dan
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

ok thanks. im actually getting them cut to 15.25 so they will be behind the dr. stirup. right now my spitfires stick out about 3/4 in.
Bcwn

Post by Bcwn »

Dan does my arrows and he does an amazing job! Just sayin

Brad
Mad max 380
Stock string
Dr stirrup kit
Zombie slayers
Rage Hypodermic 100 gr
Leupold Crossbones
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

Jerry builds some awesome arrows! For the price difference I personally would go with the Zombie Slayer arrows! They are stiffer even only at 15.25” plus they will last longer! Don’t get me wrong, I have BEEs and love them! But for the money saved for weights & indexing, I would go with the Slayers and don’t pay for spine indexing like xcaliber stated! The setback is good at 1.25” and definitely 3 degree right helical with Blazer vanes! Good luck!
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

bigbowman wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:57 pm
Jerry builds some awesome arrows! For the price difference I personally would go with the Zombie Slayer arrows! They are stiffer even only at 15.25” plus they will last longer! Don’t get me wrong, I have BEEs and love them! But for the money saved for weights & indexing, I would go with the Slayers and don’t pay for spine indexing like xcaliber stated! The setback is good at 1.25” and definitely 3 degree right helical with Blazer vanes! Good luck!
thanks for the reply. from what i read on their site spine indexing is free. spine matching and weight matching cost extra. i think i will go with the zombies.
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

That's what I meant, "spine matching & weights". Skip that and save money because it's overkill on the shorter arrows! Not enough benefits to justify the costs. You definitely are going in the right direction with best arrow choices! Good luck!
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I find Zombies to fly a little better for me from my Micro, but IMO the main reason to go with them is that the stiffer arrows also seem to penetrate better. Less flex at impact means less drag through the animal. FWIIW I cut mine to 16" and the 125gr Ramcat is fully inside the stirrup.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Ragumup

Post by Ragumup »

Hi anyone on here sell arrows ?
steven in England

Post by steven in England »

I would recommend the plastic nocks.
Black Eagle aluminium nocks are the hardest available aircraft grade 7075T6 and are way harder than the Excalibur rail. If you shoot a lot they really wear the rail down. The aluminium used is also way harder than the nocks used in Excaliburs arrows. I always use the plastic now for this reason as I have seen the wear first hand on my M380 and BD
Steven in England
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

steven in England wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:08 pm
I would recommend the plastic nocks.
Black Eagle aluminium nocks are the hardest available aircraft grade 7075T6 and are way harder than the Excalibur rail. If you shoot a lot they really wear the rail down. The aluminium used is also way harder than the nocks used in Excaliburs arrows. I always use the plastic now for this reason as I have seen the wear first hand on my M380 and BD
Agreed. Over the life of an Arrow, I change the nocks out frequently enough that the semi permanence of an aluminum nock is a deal breaker. I can also weight match plastic nocks easily with set screws to match my lighted nocks. A nicked aluminum nock can cut your serving and is a PITA to remove. As mentioned they also wear the flight groove. Plastics don’t have those drawbacks.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

i didnt know this about the alum nocks! thanks. how do you go about weight matching for the lighted nocks? no the plasctic pull out?
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

bobcat wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:29 pm
i didnt know this about the alum nocks! thanks. how do you go about weight matching for the lighted nocks? no the plasctic pull out?
Agreed about the plastic nocks. I would also order extras so as one gets damaged you simply pull it out and put a new one in. They remain in the arrow with no problem. Avoid the extra cost and headaches of aluminum nocks.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

done.... ordered a dozen zombies. cut to 15.75.... blazers set back 1.25 with right helical, plastic nocks and 110 grain brass inserts. cant wait until Christmas.....lol
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

bobcat wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:21 pm
done.... ordered a dozen zombies. cut to 15.75.... blazers set back 1.25 with right helical, plastic nocks and 110 grain brass inserts. cant wait until Christmas.....lol
I think you've made a great choice and will be happy with the results....and with the 110gr brass inserts you can shoot either the 100gr or 125gr points with excellent accuracy.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.