Few questions from first time crossbow buyer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Wisconsinbadger

Few questions from first time crossbow buyer

Post by Wisconsinbadger »

Hey guys new crossbow buyer just a few questions thought i might be able to find some help in the forums.
I have decided on an excalibur crossbow.

Im looking at the bulldog 400 or matrix 380. I was able to shoot the 400 and was surprised at how loud it was just stock of course. Than i was able to shoot the the suppressor which was a pleasantly quiet and light bow. So in everyones opinion will installing the suppressor kit on either of these bows help to quiet the bow significantly?

I guess im like anyone else and get caught up in the fps aspect of the bows. I will be deer and turkey hunting and some other small game. This may be a dumb question but in respect to hunting this type of game whats the minimum fps i would want to shoot. I have always been told when bow hunting anything shoting over 30 yards isnt responsible hunting and i will respect that idea. I just was wondering if with a little more power is a 40-50 yard shot possible or is 30 a good idea to stick with?

I have 2 bad shoulder being a carpenter and mason now a general contractor the bows are actually kind of difficult for me to pull back. I was going to purchase locally when i called the stores each store told me to wait til after January to purchase specifically because there was a newer more improved version of the crank cocker. Also there may be a surprise new bow at the show. I guess because I deffinetely will need crank will the new one be a signifocant upgrade to the older style c2 i see on the website. Does anyone know anything about these new cranks at all I still plan on waiting just was hoping for a little more info.

One last thing does anyone recommend an online dealer to order a bow from or a dealer in the southern Wi area. Also I see a lot of shops selling on ebay as well If the bow is still brand new Im guessing that excalibur would still warranty the bow if registered immeadietly. I was referred to Woodys by there customer service I know nothing about Woodys not judging just not sure about ordering. They said warranty doesnt cover changing of triggers but i could change the scope and few other things if i order from them not sure anyone else gives that option.

Sorry for all the questions just cant get much help most of my friends shoot compound bows and dont know to much about crossbows so I came here for help.

Thanks for any and all info, Tom
bobcattrapper

Re: Few questions from first time crossbow buyer

Post by bobcattrapper »

I order most of my stuff from Wyverns Creations.You can get a bare bow package too to save money on like a better scope or arrows. Email David at Wyverns what you want. He responds super fast :shock: usually within minutes and really knows this crossbow stuff.And his shipping is free on most bows.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Yes keep your shots at 35 yards and under and broadside shots and you will sleep better at night..Do not use expandable points on angle shots if you like angle shots go to fix points ...Many experts on here I am low on the expert list... :)
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I shoot a Micro 335 and have put arrows completely through bison with that setup. Chasing fps is not necessay IMO. Anything in the Excalibur lineup will put arrows right through the animals you want to kill (as well as any other big game animal in North America). It's more about the arrow setup than the speed. If cocking those beasts is a problem, then perhaps you should consider something with a lighter draw weight. Also, the noise factor is all for you. The animals do not care. I personally do not try to quiet any of my bows because I see no reason to sacrifice any speed or energy for zero return. You will only take the bow from LOUD to loud anyway. It's stll plenty noisy. A heavier arrow will help quiet the bow and in return give you more momentum which trasnlates to better arrow penetration. That is a trade off I will make.

A final thought too would be to remember that the 400 and 380 bows are the "Cadillac" versions. With that extra speed comes the need to have very good arrows and a good understanding of hhow to make them fly correctly, and a good understanding of crossbows in general. Speed exacerbates any arrow flaw exponentially. And a mistake with those bows (such as a partial dry fire) will not be a forgiving event. And mistakes will happen. All things for the first time crossbow buyer to consider.

For what you describe as your planned usage, I'd say a Matrix 330 or a Micro 335 would be good options.

Good luck and know that whatever Excal you choose, you will have one great crossbow.

Keith
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Wisconsinbadger

Thanks for the replys. I hear what you are saying about the cadillac of the lineup. Im kind of a person the values that idea. Im sure i will make some mistakes hopefully not dry firing but i have no problem spending whatever amount necessary on bolts or head tips.

To be honest the micro suppressor just felt a little weird in my arms and the 400 felt better im not a real big guy but at 6"2 i felt like the bigger bow fit my shape better if that makes since it just felt good in my arms but i deffinetely here where your coming from and appreciate what your saying. I still may shoot the micro suppressor again becuase i liked the light weight if i can adjust to the shorter stock i like that bow as well.

Anyone else has any thoughts love hearing your guys feedback any thought or idea is a good one and im looking forward to hearing for some more people. Just reading the other posts and arrow combos is a learning experience.

Thanks again, Tom
Wisconsinbadger

double post sorry
Last edited by Wisconsinbadger on Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wisconsinbadger

sorry double post
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

For someone over 6' tall, I would say the Matrix 380 would be the best bargain, most comfortable bow in your hands. Comes loaded up with ADF, etc. MHO.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I'd buy that 350SE on our trading post for your first bow.
Great deal on a great bow!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Normous

Post by Normous »

Hi, at Horizontal archery, Danny Miller in Ohio 740 483-2312 is highly regarded in the Excalibur community as one the most knowledgeable experts who will not sell you anything you need and is at the top when it comes to warranty support. Grab a coffee before your call :wink:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Welcome to the forum. You're certainly taking the right approach as there's a wealth of knowledge on this forum. As for the bows, they're all equally accurate at normal hunting ranges inside of 40-50yards. Beyond that the wider limbed bows will be more accurate than the shorties. The best thing to do is exactly what you're doing and that's trying the different bows to see what fits you best. Nobody's opinion can do that. I personally think the M380 and BD400 are great choices and if your skill set allows it and the conditions are right you certainly can shoot well beyond 30yards ethically. Having said that, my take is 'the closer the better.'
As for the crank, I'd love to see one built in to the stock but I have no idea what will be coming out. I agree with your idea of waiting to see what's on the horizon. If it's nothing dramatically better I say look for a deal on an M380 or BD400.
As for silencing, look into a Flemish string, heavier arrows, and a Dr. Stirrup kit.
For purchasing in the U.S. I strongly recommend Mr. Danny Miller at Horizontal Archery in Sardis, Ohio. You won't find a more knowledgeable person regarding these bows. He's done everything Excalibur since the foundation of the company.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Here is Dan Miller's phone number as he has no web site.
1-740-483-2312
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Wisconsinbadger

Thank you all for the information and sharing your experiences with me. It is greatly appreciated.
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

Most of the crossbow shooters on here shoot carbon arrows. If you're worried about fps and penetration,I would go with an aluminum arrow(2219) with a150 grain boltcutter broadhead. Most of your shots will be under 30/35 yards. Any animal shot at that distance with that set up should be considered dead(unless you made a bad shot). Penetration will more than likely be a complete pass through. I would be more concerned looking for my arrow after the shot than looking for my animal. If possible,use an arrow with a lighted nock. Makes arrow retrieving a lot easier. Good luck with your purchase.