Bolt lenght

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tcwild

Bolt lenght

Post by tcwild »

I'm having a buddy make me some 2219 bolts for my Grizzly. What is the shortest length I can get away with? He has some raw shafts that are 32 in I believe so if I could get 2 bolts out of each that would be great. Also can I use Blazer vanes on these? Thanks
gerald strine

Re: Bolt lenght

Post by gerald strine »

You want the bolt to be long enough to protrude into the foot stirrup enough that you can not get your foot in it loaded, otherwise you could drive a bolt through your foot uncocking bow if you for got to take the bolt off first.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

You want the bolt to be long enough to protrude into the foot stirrup enough that you can not get your foot in it loaded, otherwise you could drive a bolt through your foot uncocking bow if you for got to take the bolt off first.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I was shooting 16.5 outta my 330 still had enough in the stirrup to kick out a bolt if you get dumb. So the grizz. Is a tadd shorter than my 330. I wouldnt go any shorter than 16.5
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Yes blazers will be fine on 2219 shafts that is what I use out of my 350.
I use the Arizona ez fletch helical fletching tool, and an arrow squaring tool on both bolt ends and then the nock and incerts after installed.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

The standard "Diablo" arrow which comes with the Grizzly is 18" in length. I personally wouldn't go shorter especially when adding a broadhead to it. I like the idea of shooting an aluminum 2219 arrow. I'm trying to talk my nephew into buying aluminum arrows for his Grizzly. He has shot 20" 2219 aluminum arrows out of his Grizzy with out any difference in accuracy when target shooting. The reason was he forgot his arrows and had to try mine(I'm shooting an Axiom).
michigan man

Post by michigan man »

I shoot 16" BEE's and 2219's out of my 335 and they fly just fine.
Micro 335, Leupold VX3 1.5X5, 16" BEE"S, Lumenok, 100 grain Swhacker, 100 grain Wac-Em
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I cut my arrows as long as I can without sticking out past my stirrup with broadheads attached....for the reasons mentioned above. Arrows longer than the stirrup are fine for target practice but a royal pain in the button sitting on stand or in a blind because you can't rest the bow on the stirrup. I do believe that the longer the arrow the more stable and accurate it will be.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

paulaboutform wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:59 am
I cut my arrows as long as I can without sticking out past my stirrup with broadheads attached....for the reasons mentioned above. Arrows longer than the stirrup are fine for target practice but a royal pain in the button sitting on stand or in a blind because you can't rest the bow on the stirrup. I do believe that the longer the arrow the more stable and accurate it will be.

Paul
Great advice there, and safety first!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
tcwild

Post by tcwild »

Thanks guys, I think I'll have him try acouple 16" and see if we can get 2 out of a bare shaft. Seems like less waste, if not we'll go from there.