Crossing the Fence

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

Crossing the Fence

Post by ko4nrbs »

They are were you find them!!

I have been hunting a small parcel of Corps of Engineer's land alongside a river. Only accessible by boat. I camp out in the boat to avoid having to navigate the river at night. No fun meeting large barges at night on a small river!!

I hunt where a large creek and the river meet. Was hunting the east side unsuccessfully although my Trail Cameras had captured pics of lot's of does and some nice bucks. Come hunting season they all disappear?? Last year after yet another unsuccessful hunt I packed it in and was packing up the boat. Looking up I happened to see two deer about 20 yards across the creek on the West side. It was a large doe with her fawn. The Exomax was in it's case all zipped up!!

After they left I crossed over to scout around and found a well used trail. On the trail I discovered a large scrape with a well worn licking branch above it. I quickly located a spot for the Ground Blind and left to prepare for my next hunt in this spot. A few days later I killed a little 5 point underneath the licking branch at the scrape. Saw several does on my subsequent trips but never got a shot. It soon got too cold to travel on the river in a boat so I called it a season. My Trail cameras have taken pics of some nice bucks at the scrape. Too bad I wasn't there!!

This year I have already killed 3 deer in this new spot. It has an unbelievable amount of trails coming in from the private property that borders this small piece of Public land. The private land is Leased out to a Hunting Club. I don't tell anyone about this spot so it doesn't get around. Took too many years to find a good spot.

Moral of the story--- Don't over look small parcels of land. Especially if they are almost inaccessible. There are lot's of good hunting opportunities on Corps of Engineer's land all over the country. Look for the spots that the public avoids. Many lakes and rivers have spots only accessible by boat so don't be afraid to get out on the water and do some serious scouting.

My brothers largest buck was killed on a willow covered sand bar alongside a large slough on the Arkansas River. He was very near the city limits of Ft. Smith, Arkansas. Had to use his Sand Buggy to get to the area.

The Exomax and I will be in my climbing tree stand Sunday morning enjoying the view of the creek and river.

I wish you all Good Hunting!!

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
rayman

Re: Crossing the Fence

Post by rayman »

Cool story of success on public land with limited access!!
Bcwn

Re: Crossing the Fence

Post by Bcwn »

Cool story
Mad max 380
Stock string
Dr stirrup kit
Zombie slayers
Rage Hypodermic 100 gr
Leupold Crossbones