knife sharpener

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: knife sharpener

Post by Boo »

I had the chance of using snap off carpet blades on an elk. It's awesome for opening up the cavity or skinning.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Thanks for all of your replies , was checking the net and found one similar to the work shop and it is made by Smith .It has a few more features . I also found a broadhead sharpener ,it is for slick trick type blades .and only 20.00 I sent for one and will lit you know how it works in a week or so .Seems like it works nice in the video . very simple .
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Let us know how it works out for you Bill.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

hope it works cause I can't find the replacement blades for the grizz 2 first model . they are reel strong and shorter than the newer model and for 20.00 I don't think you can go wrong it is made by a company here in Wisc. Stay Sharp Broadhead Sharpener Guide. WE shall see when it comes.
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Well i'm old school, don't try new gadgets much, I sharpen my old buck 119 with a good steel, and finish with a good arkansas stone .
the way I see it is if you can sharpen a knife with whatever you have don't change it. !!!!

Dave :wink:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
Pintail

Post by Pintail »

Same thing here, old school still works fine. I use a lansky system to bring an old blade back to its original bevel but, that's about as fancy as I want to get. I have seen some nice knives beat up by those midget belt sanders, they have a bad habit of rolling or convexing the edges due to the flex in the belts. Most of my knives are Benchmade so I wouldn't think of ever using anything motorized on them.
Have crossbows will travel
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Pintail wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:18 pm
Same thing here, old school still works fine. I use a lansky system to bring an old blade back to its original bevel but, that's about as fancy as I want to get. I have seen some nice knives beat up by those midget belt sanders, they have a bad habit of rolling or convexing the edges due to the flex in the belts. Most of my knives are Benchmade so I wouldn't think of ever using anything motorized on them.
They're actually designed to give a convex edge...which is stronger and longer lasting than a straight or hollow ground edge. I'm not opposed to whatever works but it's really something you'd have to see first hand to appreciate. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

paulaboutform wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:34 am
Pintail wrote:
They're actually designed to give a convex edge...which is stronger and longer lasting than a straight or hollow ground edge. I'm not opposed to whatever works but it's really something you'd have to see first hand to appreciate. :wink:

Paul
X2 with Paul. I used an original work sharp for 6 years and was very happy with the results but I recently upgraded to the Ken Onion version and am blown away at the versatility and performance.

Billy
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Well I got my new fixed blade sharpener today and it works great . now I don,t have to worry about finding blades for the gen 1 grizz tricks . All it cost me was 23.00 . it took me about 15min per head and if you an believe they are sharper than the factory blades . and you know how sharp the ST are. I am very happy with the results. you can also sharpen the macanical with it if the are straight . it sure does a great .
W.M.
Boo

Post by Boo »

W.Miguire wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:04 pm
Well I got my new fixed blade sharpener today and it works great . now I don,t have to worry about finding blades for the gen 1 grizz tricks . All it cost me was 23.00 . it took me about 15min per head and if you an believe they are sharper than the factory blades . and you know how sharp the ST are. I am very happy with the results. you can also sharpen the macanical with it if the are straight . it sure does a great .
W.M.
Do you have a link to the broadhead sharpener?
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Boo wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:07 pm
W.Miguire wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:04 pm
W.M.
Do you have a link to the broadhead sharpener?
I’m pretty sure this is the one he is referring to Don.

https://staysharpguide.com/

Billy
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Yes that's the one . sorry I didn't post that info. I does not look very strong but it will surprise you. One of my blades was nicked up pretty good and it came out like brand new.It calls for 400 grit for the blade angle. and `000 for the edge. did not have any 100 so I used 1500 and the turned out very sharp a lot cheeper than replacement blades . I am happy with it. they said it will work on a flat stone and it does.
W.M.
Pintail

Post by Pintail »

paulaboutform wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:34 am
Pintail wrote:

Paul
Paul I have to respectfully disagree with you in regards to "stronger and longer lasting". A covex edge offers no mechanical advantage and actually becomes a hindrance in cutting thick material. As to longer lasting, degree of bevel and overall steel composition dictates edge retention. I have a close friend who bought one of those things and brought it over to my shop. I politely told him "nice toy, good luck with it" after seeing the results. There are some who use a bench grinder for their knives too, not me.
Have crossbows will travel
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

No problem with disagreeing. I'm just repeating what knife guys have told me. I'm no pro and I'm certainly not a purist knife sharpening guy.I do agree on the quality of steel and degrees of angle being the what determine edge retention. That being said, the information that I've been given, all things being equal, is that the convex edge is the stronger, more durable edge. Perhaps I've been misinformed but nonethelesss, my results have been impressive.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Boo

Post by Boo »

paulaboutform wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:56 am
No problem with disagreeing. I'm just repeating what knife guys have told me. I'm no pro and I'm certainly not a purist knife sharpening guy.I do agree on the quality of steel and degrees of angle being the what determine edge retention. That being said, the information that I've been given, all things being equal, is that the convex edge is the stronger, more durable edge. Perhaps I've been misinformed but nonethelesss, my results have been impressive.

Paul
The way I see it, a convex edge will resist chipping better. I can't see how it would enhance cutting ability though. But like you, I'm no expert.