Is anyone deer hunting at 100+ yards?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

AndyFed

Is anyone deer hunting at 100+ yards?

Post by AndyFed »

I am new to crossbow hunting, this is my second season with a 380 Matrix. I have standard Diablo's with 100gr and 125gr fixed broad-heads. Out to 60 yards I have been successful, but never even practiced out to a 100 or more. My question is does anyone take those shots with confidence to make a clean kill or should it be within 60 or so?
I see a lot of guys shoot their crossbows out to 200 yards even for target shooting, but I am mostly interested in deer hunting. :( I just had to let a nice buck go at 110yards. I did not take a shot, wasn't sure if I would be able to put him down. But I am curious if any of you guys hunt in those ranges and more. And what do you use for arrow/broad-head weight to get out farther with enough power.
elkaholic

Re: Is anyone deer hunting at 100+ yards?

Post by elkaholic »

#1 issue with100 yrds - as I see it is--- clear line of arrow flight . you'll need the perfect shot!

If your at an open field with no obstructions - it's a doable shot.

Doable meaning - you've spent time actually shooting 100 yrds and know with confidence from practice that you can make a kill shot.

#2 -- you have to have a "SOLID" rest to shoot from

Here in Arizona we call those guys "Flingers" cuz basically you are just flinging an arrow/bolt and hope nothing goes wrong and you actually make a kill shot.

In my opinion stick to the 60 - less chances of all those multipule--" what if's " going wrong.

2 main what ifs - any little movement from you while shooting- or any movement of the deer while your shooting

It's not worth injuring an animal and having little or no chance of recovery because something didn't go "PERFECT"

a close frfeinds practices compounds at those distances at the range - he's fairly good- He took a shot at a bedded muledeer 95 yrds mechanical - 1/4 away shot didn't even enter the body cavilty. . found arrow one side didn't even deploy . total disaster but hey he got a shot !
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Yes! I shoot Nosler arrows at them out there.😎
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

Bow hunting whether a vertical bow or crossbow was designed for close up shots. Usually up to 50 yds depending on the terrain. Guns are for the 100 yards and further shots! There really is a difference. 🏹
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Flat out NO!I shoot targets out to 110yards with great results with field points and grain matched arrows I've gone to great lengths to make. Still, I wouldn't consider taking a 100yards shot at a deer because too much can go wrong between launching the arrow and impact. Keep in mind this is still archery equipment and is designed for close range shooting. A guideline to use is, 'if I was shooting at a grizzly in I HAD TO recover from dense brush would I attempt this shot?' Personally if I had to go in after a big brownie I just shot I'd want to know I was going to look for a dead bear. I find this is an excellent guide...and that dear doesn't deserve less than the grizzly :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

NO.
That would be called glory hunting for bragging rights not deer hunting. Completely unethical with archery equipment.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I limit my shots to 35yds or so on whitetail deer. Is the bow accurate enough to shoot longer...yes. Would my arrow be lethal at say 50 or 75 yards...yes. But as others have said, too much can go wrong from the time the shot is fired until it gets to the 100 yd target.

Also, you said you have stock diablos and 100gr heads. That puts you at the minimum 350gr arrow weight. That means at distance your arrow is losing speed and momentum much faster than a heavier arrow. That means at distance your arrow penetration will suffer. I like to be above 400 grains to try to ensure a complete pass through at the distances I shoot. On larger game like bison I go for a 500gr arrow.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
AndyFed

Post by AndyFed »

Thanks everyone,
Yes I get it. Better safe. I was surprised to see that the speed and energy even at 100y is still very high and theoretically would still kill anything. The Big question is can one actually shoot accurately to do it.
Well I will practice targets to see how hard it is to shoot that range anyway, it will be fun and educational.
AndyFed

Post by AndyFed »

nchunterkw wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:37 pm
Also, you said you have stock diablos and 100gr heads. That puts you at the minimum 350gr arrow weight. That means at distance your arrow is losing speed and momentum much faster than a heavier arrow. That means at distance your arrow penetration will suffer.
Yes you are right I understand that. I actually weighed my arrows with broad-heads, they are 412gr
artifact

Post by artifact »

AndyFed wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:51 pm
Big question is can one actually shoot accurately to do it.
Well I will practice targets to see how hard it is to shoot that range anyway, it will be fun and educational.

Remember, targets don't move, a game animal may, and then there may also be wind deflection. I would wait until they come out with 8-900 lb. draw weight 1200 fps crossbow to try that! :lol:
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

AndyFed wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:55 pm
nchunterkw wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:37 pm
Also, you said you have stock diablos and 100gr heads. That puts you at the minimum 350gr arrow weight. That means at distance your arrow is losing speed and momentum much faster than a heavier arrow. That means at distance your arrow penetration will suffer.
Yes you are right I understand that. I actually weighed my arrows with broad-heads, they are 412gr
Hi Andy
My OCD is coming out :mrgreen:

Stock Diablo is 250gr and the lighted ones are 255gr per the website.
Even with a 125gr BH you only get to 375 gr or 380 gr.

You sure they are stock? Something is off by about 32 to 37 grains.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
AndyFed

Post by AndyFed »

nchunterkw wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:38 pm
You sure they are stock? Something is off by about 32 to 37 grains.
I am not sure they are the old kind with Green/White fletching, I measured then with broad-heads on my reloading scale which is callibrated with a 10g weight to "0" , and they read 412gr. I am new at this so I am not 100% sure of all the details, but you might be right I have two broad-heads 100 and 125gr so I must have weighed it with 125gr
Last edited by AndyFed on Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyFed

Post by AndyFed »

artifact wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:45 pm
AndyFed wrote:
Big question is can one actually shoot accurately to do it.

Remember, targets don't move, a game animal may, and then there may also be wind deflection. I would wait until they come out with 8-900 lb. draw weight 1200 fps crossbow to try that! :lol:
I already got something that spits out a pill at 2800fps for that earlier season :D
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

AndyFed wrote:
... Well I will practice targets to see how hard it is to shoot that range anyway, it will be fun and educational.
It certainly will be that. :D

I shoot regularly to 100 yards, sometimes with decent accuracy :wink:
And were the target to be in the shape of a deer, I could in all likelihood make a "killing shot" as often as I didn't.
I've put over 3,500 shots through my 380. Most at distance.
The REAL killing shots have all been one hell of a lot closer. :D
And methinks those previous well laid out the why's.

Have fun on the targets!
And always remember, deer and other game are not simply targets.
They are living beings, and deserve the respect of a close, clean and ethical kill.

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

In 1 honest word no !
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods