O/t klamath johnboat

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

O/t klamath johnboat

Post by longbow joe »

Off topic but l was looking for a short wide jonboat (10 ft) lowe makes one with a 50ish beam exactly what l want but its made with .43 thousandth alluminum. ...
(Beer can )...tracker has a similar model at .53 thousandths (a little thicker) but this company in California called klamath make a jac boat all welded at .63 thousandths (very expensive ) l really need something tough . Apparently this company makes them jet boats that go up the rockey rivers . Does anybody have any experience with them.
Last edited by longbow joe on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
artifact

Re: O/t klamath johnboat

Post by artifact »

Alumacraft makes a .053 hull also. I would think that going from .053 to .063 isn't going to make much of a difference. I have 2 Tracker GRIZZLY's that are .100 and they can be tore up.
You're only talking a little Jon boat, find a good used one on CL for cheap and sell it for scrap when it gets really beat up, and then get another one!
Just in case, beam width doesn't matter that much, it's the floor width that makes them stable, and 36" floors aren't that stable!
You must want a 10' boat for a specific reason, I would want at least a 1448 and several brands of those can be bought with the .100 hulls.
There is some type of heavy plastic (UHMW) material they put on those river boats to protect the bottom, but they are high powered bigger boats and I don't know if it would work too well at all on a 10' boat, but might be worth looking into.
Good luck!
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

We took a .063 boat that we use and rolled the bottom and sides with truck bed liner because we go over a lot of rocks sand and shells so maybe this is an idea for you to look into .
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Thanks artifact an xbow. . I already have a bigger boat .The small jon is gonna take me up a specific small tidal canal with a small mud motor. Its gonna double duty in a small pond with an electric motor where my big boat wont work. I wore out the transom bottom area dragging up the old boat in and out . I really like the lowe 10 footer its the widest of them all but .43 seems crazy whimpy to me
I do like the small tracker and your right l can literally buy two of them for the price of the klamath. I love overbuilt things and from the pictures this klamath is totally welded built like a tank. Its so easy to buy the tracker and trailer combo. At the local bass pro. The klamath involves shipping and l gotta get a trailer. Seperate.lm dwelling on it for now. Im only 150 pounds soaking wet so the 10 footer with a buck ,turkey or couple ducks isnt gonna be overbearing on a small boat but width is important to me.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

The smallest express was 14 feet. Great boats agreed.
artifact

Post by artifact »

I think you are going to have a problem finding a rugged Jon boat that size, I'm sure someone would be willing to make one but it would probably be very expensive! Rockproof boats is a custom builder N of Harrisburg in Marysville, might give them a call but I think they are only interested in building high end boats.
Can you weld aluminum, I know where there is a lot of heavy aluminum sheet down in Fleetwood! :lol: Heck, a 10' Jon boat can't be that hard to build!
I am on tinboats.net, will throw it at those guys and see if they know of anyone who will build a small Jon to meet your specs.
artifact

Post by artifact »

OK, can't edit and add to last post!
Just threw this out on the forum I mentioned, see what anyone has to say.
Was just thinking :idea: , if you are willing to pay for a Klamath, would it be possible for them to put an even heavier bottom on the boat, lets just say .100 ? You could ask them that.
I would have to believe that it's only a piece of flat aluminum that's cut and then bent up to shape the bow and wouldn't be that big a deal. If the chines are pressed in to the bottom of the thinner metal, they may have to be welded on to the heavier aluminum.
As a custom boat builder I would think they would have no problem doing that, but the price I'm sure will go up even more!
I feel for you, what you want and what you can get can sometime be a PITB.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I got out the micromiter the other nite and realized ....as you said the difference between .43 and .63 is like a few sheets of paper. The extra alluminum is really not a big deal as you said. I think im just gonns get the lowe 40 inch bottom ,56inch beam (widest of em all) l can literally buy 2 of em and a half for the price of the klamath. Either way they are all thin. Thanks guys.with 2 girls in collage $$$$$ is a factor also lolol.
artifact

Post by artifact »

Look at weldcraft, not a 10' but they have a 12' with a 42" bottom and a .080 hull that's available with a transom for either a long or short shaft motor. A 12' boat isn't that big, might take a look at that boat, it's "ALMOST" what you want and may be as close as you can get when it comes to the heavier hull.