How many days have you bow hunted for Deer this season?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bcxbow

Re: How many days have you bow hunted for Deer this season?

Post by Bcxbow »

I have 35 sittings now with either xbow or ML and sometimes both here in north Georgia. Only small young bucks and does with fawns so I passed on them. There is still 5 weeks left in our season with all weapons. Weather is finally changing rapidly with snow today (3.5” so far with more to come) and temps dropping into the teens by Sunday morning so fingers are crossed.

Billy
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I'm well over 30 hunts. I never keep track. Mostly evenings. Took 4 with my crossbow and 1 with my AR15
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
mikej

Post by mikej »

Pretty much my season in a nut shell too , only my opportunity hasn’t come yet on him . Been out 35+ times just watching the future trophy’s so far
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Ontario Savage

Post by Ontario Savage »

Brc what's stopping you from hunting in a wmu that offers additional tags...plenty of public land in some areas to extend your season...have you thought about that if things are the same next year?
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Ontario Savage wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:08 am
Brc what's stopping you from hunting in a wmu that offers additional tags...plenty of public land in some areas to extend your season...have you thought about that if things are the same next year?

No vacation time left.. Lol

I'm actually good for meat now. I do have a friend that still has his tag so we will hunt together over the holidays and he can have all the meat. :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I am doing more with less. Over the last two seasons I have been fortunate enough to take three mature deer and a handful of does. Somehow I managed this with the least number of hours logged, (scouting and hunting), than I have in the last 18 years. I’ve finally got a great property to hunt with reliable deer numbers and plenty of mature deer. Which is great for me because I don’t have a lot of time to hunt anymore due to family commitments and work.

2 bowhunts: 1 where I killed a huge bodied 8-pt (15 mins on stand), and the other I accompanied my
wife who was the shooter

Muzzleloader: 4 days afield and two bucks killed

The freezer is full but I have not even started to scratch my itch to hunt with a bow. :cry:
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

Due to a leg and back injury only got out 7 times no longer than 3 hours at a time as walking ,sitting and standing were all a challenge. I ended up with Bambi's dad shot with the Micro/RamCat combo and then shot Bambi and his mom during the rifle season, so the freezer is full and if not for my sons gracious help I would not have gotten out at all . So now hopefully 2018 brings better health and a renewed spirit.
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Buszone wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:19 pm
Due to a leg and back injury only got out 7 times no longer than 3 hours at a time as walking ,sitting and standing were all a challenge. I ended up with Bambi's dad shot with the Micro/RamCat combo and then shot Bambi and his mom during the rifle season, so the freezer is full and if not for my sons gracious help I would not have gotten out at all . So now hopefully 2018 brings better health and a renewed spirit.
Nice, hopefully you get feeling good soon, and next year that bruiser will get out in front of you!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Czy_Horse

Post by Czy_Horse »

Only 3 times here :cry:. The chronic fatigue and other crap with this West Nile Virus has kept me from my usual outdoor activities.
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

2 Days, Due to circumstances, beyond my control :( but looking better for next year. :D
but I did get a nice 9 pointer !!!
so i'm a lucky man . :D

Dave :wink:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
unclefester

Post by unclefester »

I was up in North Western Ontario for a week. No mature buck made an appearance.
After putting a new stand up on a scrape line it only took one sit here in the south to fill my tag.

So 6 days of deer hunting for me this year.

Ken.
On staff at Crossbow Magazine.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

unclefester wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:59 pm
I was up in North Western Ontario for a week. No mature buck made an appearance.
After putting a new stand up on a scrape line it only took one sit here in the south to fill my tag.

So 6 days of deer hunting for me this year.

Ken.
Any pics Ken?

You have a habit of taking some real giants.. :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I hunted 2 days this year . 1st day 2 hours and 2nd day 1/2 hour . Shortest season I have had yet in 34 years of bow hunting !

leonk

Post by leonk »

Reading some of the posts, the success rate seems hard to believe, I mean you guys have good deer populations and know where and how to hunt. I lost access to couple places around here, including my best deer hunting farm. The other places, there's no deer, an occasional track may be. I hear the same from other hunters, not everywhere, but a lot of places.
I haven't sat with a bow this season, at all.
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Opening day hunted 4 hrs was waaaaaay too hot went home.
Couple days later hunted the late afternoon still too hot but cooler than opening day.
Couple days later went for the late afternoon and finshed the job got a nice size doe :D

So a total of 3 days or about 11 hours :lol:
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers