factory vs aftermrkt scope - how much better in low light

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ontario Savage

factory vs aftermrkt scope - how much better in low light

Post by Ontario Savage »

Considering upgrading my dead zone scope on my 350 le..the thing is I really don't mind the scope or the reticle but I'd upgrade if it gives me better visibility in low light.

Can u help quantify how much better a leup crossbones or Nikon bolt would be in low light. Am I gaining 5 minutes of better visibility? etc....
I find I usually am packing up a few minutes before legal shooting now...I'm not looking to hunt until after legal light but also don't want to upgrade if visibility is the same....curious as to feedback from those who have upgraded their scopes thanks..
xcaliber

Re: factory vs aftermrkt scope - how much better in low light

Post by xcaliber »

I have said this many times, Excalibur scopes are feature rich, and quality poor. They buy them, so no slam against them. I liked every one I ever had, and personally never had a problem with any. The issue is that when they go, there is hardly a warning. I like the Nikon Bolt, and Redfield Revenge. I recently got a Crossbones scope, all very good. Go check one out if you can, if it fits your style, you'll like it more I believe.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Everyone's eyes see things differently than another's.

The best way to tell is go to a retail outlet that sells lots of scopes. Look through a couple of scopes, one after the other. The best would be if you can carry them to a window that looks outside to a dim light area. Which one shows the best image of letters or numbers on a building or sign?

The store is probably brightly lighted inside and you won't get a true idea unless you can replicate dim light situations, and the only eye you can trust is your own.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Bcwn

Post by Bcwn »

xcaliber wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:36 pm
I have said this many times, Excalibur scopes are feature rich, and quality poor. They buy them, so no slam against them. I liked every one I ever had, and personally never had a problem with any. The issue is that when they go, there is hardly a warning. I like the Nikon Bolt, and Redfield Revenge. I recently got a Crossbones scope, all very good. Go check one out if you can, if it fits your style, you'll like it more I believe.
Damn well said x2
Mad max 380
Stock string
Dr stirrup kit
Zombie slayers
Rage Hypodermic 100 gr
Leupold Crossbones
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I'm interested in the replies for the same reason. I have a couple Dead Zone scopes and haven't had any issues with them. I did notice on a cloudy day that about fifteen minutes after sunset, which is prime time for movement, I was really having issues seeing anything other than the main crosshair and even then it was tough. The Nikon's I have on my rifles are like magic in low light. I can see way more through them than with the naked eye. My visibility in low light was not better through the DeadZone.

I'm more concerned about shot placement in those low light conditions because this first thing to disappear after sunset are all of the twigs and branches between you and the target. Over the past few seasons I've bagged more than my share of saplings. :lol:

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Hi5 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:58 pm

The best way to tell is go to a retail outlet that sells lots of scopes. Look through a couple of scopes, one after the other. The best would be if you can carry them to a window that looks outside to a dim light area. Which one shows the best image of letters or numbers on a building or sign?

The store is probably brightly lighted inside and you won't get a true idea unless you can replicate dim light situations, and the only eye you can trust is your own.
X2. Go in the evening and see if they will let you look to the outside at dusk. That is where and when the difference will show up. I believe firmly that you should have the very best optics that you can afford. I'm a Leupold guy, but the Nikon is a fine scope for the money. Burris as well is a quality scope for the money. On Leupold scope do not be afraid to buy a clean used one as they are warranteed to whom ever for ever. You wont ever be sorry that you have better optics.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:38 pm
Hi5 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:58 pm

X2. Go in the evening and see if they will let you look to the outside at dusk. That is where and when the difference will show up. I believe firmly that you should have the very best optics that you can afford. I'm a Leupold guy, but the Nikon is a fine scope for the money. Burris as well is a quality scope for the money. On Leupold scope do not be afraid to buy a clean used one as they are warranteed to whom ever for ever. You wont ever be sorry that you have better optics.
Yep! I bought a used Crossbones that works fine but there is ding in it. I emailed Leupold, they said send it in, they will fix it under their golden ring warranty. Say What! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

With so many variables, it's impossible to quantify. My VXIIIs and VXRs are an absolute improvement. For a comparison, if you can hunt until 1/2 hr after sunset with a factory scope, you'll have another 1/2 hr with a VXIII. The advice to go an look is a good one. Even better would be to go and check them out at dusk.
You should consider bugging some members here to check out their scopes. I live in Newtonville, near Port Hope. You are welcome to come over and look through my assortment of scopes.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Its very hard to tell anudder person this scope is better or will let you see 15 min's more than what you have. My eyes are diff than yers. I did a crude test this Summer usin a Deadzone, ZeissXB75 , Nikon Bolt, Hawke XB1 & a Loopy VX1 shotgun 2x7 heavy xhair. The Loopy usin my eyes was a clear winner n i could still see the xhair 15-20 min's after all but the Zeiss which was about 10 min's less than the Loopy. Its the heavy xhair that stands out n is seen. Go look thru them prior to buyin
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
ThackMan

Post by ThackMan »

vixenmaster wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:34 pm
Its very hard to tell anudder person this scope is better or will let you see 15 min's more than what you have. My eyes are diff than yers. I did a crude test this Summer usin a Deadzone, ZeissXB75 , Nikon Bolt, Hawke XB1 & a Loopy VX1 shotgun 2x7 heavy xhair. The Loopy usin my eyes was a clear winner n i could still see the xhair 15-20 mins after all but the Zeiss which was about 10 mins less than the Loopy. Its the heavy xhair that stands out n is seen. Go look thru them prior to buyin
X2 Leupold VX1 2-7 x 40 heavy duplex is the best for your money. I can see through it until it's WAY too dark out. Leupold Xbones and Ziess XB75 are great scopes for mid day use, but soon as it gets dim out those fine crosshairs disappear on me.
BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

All I can add is to check out the Vortex Viper XB-R in the trading post for $400. I have four or five of these and they're my hands down favorite. They've stopped making them and the only reason I can see is the retail price range which was about $850.00. They are rarely found and I strongly recommend considering this opportunity. They are tremendous in low light but you'll have to watch the time because it'll bring you beyond legal shooting time.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
SEW

Post by SEW »

Paul,
How is the light gathering of the Vortex scope compared to a Zeiss Duralyt2-8 or equivalent sized Leupold VX3?
tremps01

Post by tremps01 »

paulaboutform wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:22 am
All I can add is to check out the Vortex Viper XB-R in the trading post for $400. I have four or five of these and they're my hands down favorite. They've stopped making them and the only reason I can see is the retail price range which was about $850.00. They are rarely found and I strongly recommend considering this opportunity. They are tremendous in low light but you'll have to watch the time because it'll bring you beyond legal shooting time.

Paul
X2
Macel
Micro suppressor 355
Boo string force 10.
Drstirrup complete kit.
Marcel
Buzzard II

Post by Buzzard II »

I still like the Leupold VX 1 2-7 duplex scope I've been using for years. I had them on all my slug guns and am putting them on all my Excalibur crossbows. I worked in a gun shop for a few years and tried out all the scopes in daylight and darkness. I liked the Leupold best. Try out different scopes under different conditions and be your own judge, but remember, you get what you pay for.
THE IMMENSE IMPORTANCE OF A PINT OF ALE TO A COMMON PERSON SHOULD NEVER BE OVERLOOKED!
yar

Post by yar »

Nikon Bolt XR unbeatable