How cold is cold for you?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

janesy

Re: How cold is cold for you?

Post by janesy »

Luckily it was a blackberry and it flashed a light ubtil you checked youe messages. In theory, but of course it was upside down haha
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

xcaliber wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:10 pm
. These days, I hunt to freezing. When I'm freezing, I'm done. :lol:
Same here!
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
Bcwn

Post by Bcwn »

I hunt from a ground blind 99% of the time, so I can really bundle up. Considering my blind is about 70 yards from my back deck I can load it up with goodies to keep comfortable. I'll sit for about 2 hours uncomfortable thats about it.

Brad
Mad max 380
Stock string
Dr stirrup kit
Zombie slayers
Rage Hypodermic 100 gr
Leupold Crossbones
SEW

Post by SEW »

Once again, as we all know, we are of different ages, different health, different hunting areas, phone connectivity situations, etc. If there are no large deer in the area I’m hunting, my hunting intensity is not as high as if there were quality bucks in the area. After almost exclusively bow hunting for 42 years before starting using a MLer in our very limited gun season , I can’t imagine any weather that I wouldn’t go with my MLer (40 cal smokeless, and 5 45 smokeless MLers).
If we still have the health and desire to hunt in extreme weather conditions, we should thank God for our health yet pray for sanity.
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

we're out in minus temps - b-law has on Milwaukee heated battery pack jacket - new insulated gloves with hot hand packs
basically snow mobile coveralls - Irish Setter snow boots with hot pads stuck on top toes. inside super sized boot warmers

Dec. hunts - after my normal 3 hrs I'm done call him and he says -- I can't move but i'm warm enough to stay a little while longer ,

now I come a little earlier in the yr. to the north woods of Wisc. around the first Nov. guess what WE GET A WINTER STORM ROLL THRU

My posted story- lol Be prepared and god bless Irish Setter insulated boots!

I'm sure there will be a few here still hunting thru the next few days -- Good Luck

Merry Christmas to ALL
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

All depends on how my season has gone. If I am sitting on tags with an empty freezer than I will hunt in any weather. If my freezer is half full than my limit is -20C. If the freezer is full than probably I'll just stay home and sit at the wood stove drinking Lagavullin.

This guy was about -12C and took me from 3/4 full to full:

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I’ve never turned in early unless I made a kill. You warm your hands up really nicely in the field dressing process and on the drag out. :lol: I’ll admit that my standards seem to drop when it gets colder out which is one way to have a short sit in cold temps. I usually stick it out no matter the temp. I’ve had days where it was too windy to sit in a tree and this is where my ground blind game is huge. In bitter cold weather, I under dress for the walk and climb up to my stand. Then I put my heavy gear on once I’m on the stand and my body has cooled down. No sweat = warmer longer
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
janesy

Post by janesy »

racking up points wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:04 am
I’ve never turned in early unless I made a kill. You warm your hands up really nicely in the field dressing process and on the drag out. :lol: I’ll admit that my standards seem to drop when it gets colder out which is one way to have a short sit in cold temps. I usually stick it out no matter the temp. I’ve had days where it was too windy to sit in a tree and this is where my ground blind game is huge. In bitter cold weather, I under dress for the walk and climb up to my stand. Then I put my heavy gear on once I’m on the stand and my body has cooled down. No sweat = warmer longer
Thats the trick right there . i walk in almost freezing, then bundle up to climb up. Nothing worse than being all sweaty and then it turns cold. Not to mention all that sweat evaporates and vents off. Which im sure smells pretty ripe to a deer.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Yep, cold walk in is a big part of staying warm once you become inactive.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
seabee401

Post by seabee401 »

I'll let you know Tuesday after Christmas! :D
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Honestly i jus can't hack it like when i was young n dumb. Now wid these winds blowin on me 25' up in my Hang-On stands in low 30's n 20's. A few hrs is about my limit, plus i jus don't hate those Tick Toters as bad now as i did yrs ago :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
SEW

Post by SEW »

Mike,
I’m slowly converting to ladder stands with gun rests. And 4 ground blinds, of which 2 are elevated. Still have a # of hang ons.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Steve i am goin to be usin more Ladder stands n ground blinds. Ground blinds will have a a Mr. Heater n a 20 lb bottle of Heat, ahh now thats goin to be much better on my older hurtin bones :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
PublicLandHunter1

Post by PublicLandHunter1 »

When I used to hunt with my Carhart Artic coat and bibs 20-30 degrees was my limit. I bought some Sitka down stuff and now I stay warm in all late season weather Missouri encounters. I like hunting late season public-land because there is not many people out there. If you can find some down products with Gortex; you can still hunt in most weather conditions. That stuff is warmmmmmm.
BD400 with XV530IR scope, HHA Optimizer
Zombie 20 inch with lighted nocks
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Bulldog 380 HHA Optimizer with the XV530IR scope, Triggertech
Spinal Tapps- 18-inch
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
F250-2

Post by F250-2 »

I have taken a number of Whitetails at temps below 0 F. My wife and I hunted caribou in northern Quebec on snowshoes one day when the high temp was -21 F. I've done cow elk hunts in January when temps are often below 0 F. I really enjoy hunting when its cold and snowy !!!!