How cold is cold for you?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

W.Miguire

How cold is cold for you?

Post by W.Miguire »

I know we all have are limits . Just how cold does it have to be before you call it quits for the day?
W.M.
elkaholic

Re: How cold is cold for you?

Post by elkaholic »

when the pool hits 50 degrees and outside temps are in the 60's I quit swimming

with all the insulated/heated hats boots gloves pants coats these days - are there really limits

all depends on how you dress for the weather your going to venture out into

with normal insulated hooded jacket/ gloves - 3 layers of l/s shirts- levis covered with camo snow pants no long johns snow boots- no new fanged gadgets to stay warm

I called it quits when the wind chill was -12 after 3 hrs - I usually draw the line when my fingers and toes were numb

I was sitting on a rock in a snow storm --
tcwild

Post by tcwild »

For me it really depends more on the wind. I can bundle up like the Pillsbury dough boy but can't really move. Normally single digits gets me to scratching my head about my sanity.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I'll be hunting over the holidays. Expected to be in the single digits. I have heated gear so bring it on.. Lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Yes but in Ontario single digits are still above freezing ! :wink:
rossh

Post by rossh »

Having ostioarthritis & severe degenerative joint decease I really bundle up . When I start to shake sitting in the blind I'm done . Luck
Slightly past my best before date .Made in Canada .But still having fun . K.I.S.S .
Ibex Xbow only one .
frisky

Post by frisky »

When I was much younger I would bow hunt to Zero F. As I grow older , not quite so cold. :( Gun hunting another story. I have sat out all day when it was zero F. :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

The coldest it has ever been when I was in a tree stand was 17 deg F. By some's standards not all that bad but I was miserable until the sun came up. Was bundled up well but the wind just wore me down. Never again!! I now only hunt the coldest part of the season out of a Ground Blind with my little propane heater.
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
galamb

Post by galamb »

When it hits -5C/23F I won't sit the stand for longer than 2 hours.

At -10C/14F I won't go in the woods if I will be sitting at all but that's still decent for walking for birds/bunnies.

Much colder than that I don't leave the house. I have turned into a whimp as I have gotten older :)
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

In my area we don't get much below freezing until December. We seldom see freezing during bow season. During gun season I have no problems hunting a few hours at any temp. The coldest I've been out is 17F/-8C which is probably a typical day for you folks up north. If you toss a 25 mph wind in the mix, anything below freezing can get unbearable in a hurry.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I have been out for about 4 hours in -2 degrees F. It was probably -15 with wind chill factored in, but that was a rough sit. These days, I hunt to freezing. When I'm freezing, I'm done. :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
catclr

Post by catclr »

That's the nice thing about ground blinds or elevated blinds, & heater buddy, doesn't matter how cold.
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

When its death cold. (20 dedrees and below )I usually do an evening hunt. ....last 2 hours of the day .l can make 2 hours in extreme cold thats about all l care to do anyway. Im 158 pounds l get cold a lot faster than someone with a little more meat on em.....or should we say insulation.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
janesy

Post by janesy »

In Feb 2016 i was out until dark calling Coyotes in -24°C when i walked out to the truck. It was cold. Realy cold...

But not as cold as it was when i realized i had dropped my cell phone in the field and had to go back in to get it at 10 PM that night. Now that was cold
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Lol done that. But not in the cold......of course its on silent lol. Lets call it.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.