bolt length

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cosmo01

bolt length

Post by cosmo01 »

Can I use a 20 inch bolt with a micro 315 and could I use a Easton 16 inch bolt aswell
bigbowman

Re: bolt length

Post by bigbowman »

You can always shoot longer arrows but NEVER shoot shorter than what the manufacturer recommends! Good luck! :D
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
cosmo01

Post by cosmo01 »

Thanks the guy at the shop was pushing the 16 inch bolts I didn't rise for the fly cheers tim
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

As mentioned, the longer arrows are fine....at the range. They shoot well but the issue is the arrow sticking out past your stirrup. You won't be able to rest the bow on the stirrup if in a blind or ground setup. I didn't think it would be an issue but I was very mistaken.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

I shoot custom 15.5" Zombies with total weight of 374gr. in my vintage 335 micro and have 1' groups out to 50 yds. this combo has killed 11 deer all with complete pass through with shots between 15 and 35 yds.
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

The proper length is determined by the bolt must be long enough that you can not get your foot in the stirup with a bolt loaded and short enough that it does not stick out past the stirup .
A short bolt can be driven through your foot when decocking after a hunt if you forget to remove the bolt it almost happened to me :shock:
all my bolts are long enough that they almost reach the front end of my stirup.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Get all matching arrows. 6 / 12 whatever quantity you feel good with. Put the broadhead of choice on an arrow, and cock the bow, insert arrow and measure 1" to 2" short, or inside the stirrup. Measure the head length, and subtract that from your overall length. This allows you to hang your bow cocked in a stand, but prevents you from slipping your boot under the cocked bow with an arrow in the channel. Go with an arrow adjusted to what you wish to shoot, broadhead weight I'm talking about. Some go with 92 grains in the snout, and shoot 125 grain heads, or heavier, other go with 110 grains in the snout and use 100 grain heads. Ask a bunch of questions of us, we'll tell you what we use, hopefully you can give us some feedback too on what you plan to use.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

i put the dr stirrup on my micro and didnt like how my quills stuck out past the enclosure with my spitfires. i ordered a dozen custom zombies cut to 15.75. now i dont have to worry about my arrow getting caught on brush or corn and having one blow up because its cocked on the rail. also with the dr stirrup my feet are off to the side so even if i forget to remove while decocking my foot is not in the line of fire.
i can also rest the bow on its "end" while loaded.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

bobcat wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:45 pm
i put the dr stirrup on my micro and didnt like how my quills stuck out past the enclosure with my spitfires. i ordered a dozen custom zombies cut to 15.75. now i dont have to worry about my arrow getting caught on brush or corn and having one blow up because its cocked on the rail. also with the dr stirrup my feet are off to the side so even if i forget to remove while decocking my foot is not in the line of fire.
i can also rest the bow on its "end" while loaded.
Real good move on your part.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!