Micro VS Matrix

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cw.abeljr

Micro VS Matrix

Post by Cw.abeljr »

Hello all,

I'm a new member here but not new to Excaliber Crossbows. I currently own a Excaliber Axion crossbow that I have owned since 2011. My son recently purchased an Excaliber Grizzly that I was very impressed with the much smaller size than my Axion. I have been thinking of possibly purchasing a 335 or 355 but I don't know the differences between the Matrix and Micro models. My main interest is reducing the size and weight of the bow. I don't shoot over 30 yards normally as the area that I hunt is very thick with vegatation so speed is not a big concern. I was hoping that someone could explain the differences between the Matrix and Micro crossbows.

Thanks in advance.
Clyde
Micro 335 Nightmare
Reds/Air Brakes/Sound Deafening system

Axiom 305 SMF
S5/dissipator bars
longbow joe

Re: Micro VS Matrix

Post by longbow joe »

You cant go wrong with either one. If you had a long limber the matrix will appear a lot slimer. The micros are harder to cock than a same pound matrix. Im gonna get blasted . I have both and prefer the matrix over the micro. I also think they are more dependable. The 355 and smaller matrix bows you rarely hear of problems. I really like the new 308 short ,micro small and easy to cock pleanty of power. .As said you cant go wrong.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

If you have a dealer close by shoulder a Matrix then shoulder a Micro. If a smaller and more compact bow is what your after you will really see the difference first hand. ;)

Once you hunt with a Micro a Matrix will feel huge.. Lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
quake

Post by quake »

Welcome! There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here on this forum, and plenty of good information too. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have so far. :)
Cabela's Equalizer 370 made by Excalibur- Zeiss Terra XB75
Matrix 380- Trophy Ridge Speed Comp XV530IR
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

longbow joe wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:49 pm
You cant go wrong with either one. If you had a long limber the matrix will appear a lot slimer. The micros are harder to cock than a same pound matrix. Im gonna get blasted . I have both and prefer the matrix over the micro. I also think they are more dependable. The 355 and smaller matrix bows you rarely hear of problems. I really like the new 308 short ,micro small and easy to cock pleanty of power. .As said you cant go wrong.
I couldn't agree more.
I started with the smaller Matrix models and will more than likely stay there. The only problem I have ever had other than a scope issue was more than likely caused by operator error and was quickly taken care of by the fine people at Excalibur. Compared to a long limber the Matrix models are small enough to comfortably use when hunting from a blind. They are big enough for my hunting distance in the woods I hunt, they are easy enough to cock for an afternoon of enjoyable target shooting without my back or shoulders complaining, and are deadly accurate.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
janesy

Post by janesy »

I loved my matrix, but once i climbed a tree with a micro, it just seemed silly to do it with anything bigger. At first I thought the micro stock was to "out there" looking too hahaha

But i suppose the same thing happened with the long limb to matrix transition as well.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Cw.abeljr

Post by Cw.abeljr »

Thank you all for your responses and welcomes. I have been reading this forum for a few months and I can tell as with all forums that there is a wealth of knowledge here. I do appreciate the responses and I think that I am leaning in the Micro direction. I will probably go with the 335 over the 355 just because it is about $200 cheaper and as I said in my original post, speed is not something that is high on my must have list of items. I have just recently added the S5 system and dB bars on my Axiom (xmas gifts) but have not yet fired the crossbow with them on it. I'm anxious to see if it quiets down some of the noise that the bow makes. It's been so cold the last couple weeks that I haven't gotten my target and shooting table out of my shed to set it up to shoot the Axion.
Clyde
Micro 335 Nightmare
Reds/Air Brakes/Sound Deafening system

Axiom 305 SMF
S5/dissipator bars
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Good choice..
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I will toss this out, Micro's are stout short limbed models. The Matrix while only abit wider in limbs is much easier to rope cock get better fps. I have both my Micro 355 is a Bear to rope cock at 315 lb draw n 340 fps wid a 400 gr arrow. My Matrix 380 gets 360 fps usin a 400 gr arrow n is 260 lb draw. I can rope cock my 380 i can not rope cock my 355 Micro anymore
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315

Post by newbie »

I have had all 3 series. once I held a Micro and hunted with it since they came out it's hard to consider another bow. It just feels right and I'm amazed still how small it is.
I own a gen 1 335 and a Raid. Both aren't going anywhere soon.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
galamb

Post by galamb »

I also own the "long limb" (Vixen II).

I have also wrestled with wanting a slimmer, trimmer model (the weight isn't much different between all the models which are light by crossbow standards anyhow).

I "didn't" move to the Matrix because I didn't see the "about 3" on each side" as being a "significant" reduction in the wide limbs - at least not enough to drop nearly another grand (Canuck bucks after kitting it out the way I want).

However, now that the 308 has hit the market that is the only model that I am looking at as a potential replacement/upgrade.

Yes, the draw weight goes up by 100 pounds (for me), but the bow is just plain "small". I would save a total of 12" of wingspan - that is significant. And the model is shorter.

And like you I don't shoot "far" - can't see further than 33 yards where I hunt so don't need the speed to keep it flat at 50 or 60 yards.

So "for me" going to a Matrix would give me a "new bow" that is mildly more compact - going with a 308 (or 315/330 Micro) would give me a new bow that is "significantly" more compact than what I am shooting now.

My current bow is still "everything I actually need", so if I'm going to drop another grand on an "I want" it had better provide "significant"
benefit...
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
SEW

Post by SEW »

We each have different desires as far as range potential. The original Excaliburs are the most accurate, then the Matrix series followed by the Micros. Just how it is. Out to 60 yards, the accuracy differences are not deal breakers. Very few people will hunt beyond 60 yds with a xbow. So, there’s little advantage one over another unless over 60 yards matters.
The M380,BD400 and M405 have the flattest trajectories.
The smaller size of the Micros is nice but I certainly don’t notice much weight difference. This really seems evident with the Suppressor series. They just seem heavy but quiet.
I like every one of these different xbows.
One thing that amazes me is that the Equinox and Vortex are truly capable of 1” 3-shot groups with plain Diablo arrows/Boltcutters. Custom made Zombies with everything perfect will ever so slightly improve groups. However, shoot those arrows thru a M405 and the Diablos’ group is much larger. I’ve only shot factory arrows thru the Micros which really isn’t a fair evaluation of the Micros’ accuracy potential l
Just some various observations.
SEW

Post by SEW »

We each have different desires as far as range potential. The original Excaliburs are the most accurate, then the Matrix series followed by the Micros. Just how it is. Out to 60 yards, the accuracy differences are not deal breakers. Very few people will hunt beyond 60 yds with a xbow. So, there’s little advantage one over another unless over 60 yards matters.
The smaller size of the Micros is nice but I certainly don’t notice much weight difference. This really seems evident with the Suppressor series. They just seem heavy but quiet.
One thing that amazes me is that the Equinox and Vortex are truly capable of 1” 3-shot groups with plain Diablo arrows/Boltcutters. Custom made Zombies with everything perfect will ever so slightly improve groups. However, shoot those arrows thru a M405 and the Diablos’ group is much larger. I’ve only shot factory arrows thru the Micros which really isn’t a fair evaluation of the Micros’ accuracy potential l
SEW

Post by SEW »

quake

Post by quake »

Well, you can't go wrong with the Micro 335, I have owned two of them. First one was a Gen 1 335 that I loved, but unfortunately sold after a brief hiatus from hunting. This past year I got back into it and bought a new Gen 2 335 that I absolutely love as well. The compact size is really nice. They are stout little boogers to rope cock. If you are fortunate enough to have a local dealer around you, I would go and shoot one to get a feel for it versus the Matrix line. Good luck man!
Cabela's Equalizer 370 made by Excalibur- Zeiss Terra XB75
Matrix 380- Trophy Ridge Speed Comp XV530IR