Re: Another look at 100 yard shooting

Post by otisbrazwell »

Johnny One Shot wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:19 pm
Boo wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:40 pm
Johnny One Shot wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:30 pm

If all would go back and read my original post, I said "If I had to take over a 30 yard shot, I wouldn't call myself a bowhunter" I said I, not anyone else... ME. Not anyone else. It wasn't pushing my thoughts on others!
Perhaps you can explain to all the good people here why you wouldn't call yourself a bow hunter.
For MYSELF, my criteria for bowhunting is 30 and in, for the shot. I'm NOT imposing that criteria on anyone but myself. You good people seem to want to put words in my mouth, that I am not saying. smh You good people sure don't make a new poster feel very welcome by twisting their words around...
this dudes a chit steerer from the wooden arrow forum :lol:
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I figured that but sometimes its fun to play with them a little ! :wink:
PublicLandHunter1

Post by PublicLandHunter1 »

When I shot a compound 30-40 yards was my max. With my excal I would take a 50 yard shot if the conditions were right allowing for an ethical kill. I look at all the advertising that shows a xbow grouping at 100 yards on the range as purely marketing purposes versus hunting application. I have not shot my M405 at 100 yards but I have read where others have, at least in a target practice scenario versus hunting. Where I hunt your lucky to get a 100 yard shot with your rifle, too much brush for anything longer. I like the simplicity of an excal; also like keeping it simple in terms of hunter versus non-hunter instead of bowhunter, gunhunter, etc. That's just me though.
BD400 with XV530IR scope, HHA Optimizer
Zombie 20 inch with lighted nocks
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Bulldog 380 HHA Optimizer with the XV530IR scope, Triggertech
Spinal Tapps- 18-inch
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
SEW

Post by SEW »

I think the keep it simple has appealed to a lot of people. Likewise, so has the reduced desire to constantly “upgrade”.
At least with our M405s, we won’t always be wanting to “upgrade” to the newest , fastest Excaliburs.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

SEW wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:03 pm

2) Ducking the arrow or string jumping is a non-factor for shots >30-40 yards, IMO. At 60 yards, they’ll just stand and look in that direction if they do anything at all.
I think this is exactly right and the most mis-understood idea when the conversation comes to "ethical range". If a deer hear's a noise that is 20 yds away it makes a violent attempt to escape. But that same noise at 50 or 60 yds, it may look up or in that direction or it may not.

I was hunting one day in OH and some deer were 60 or 70 yds away feeding. 2 BIG fox squirrels were chasing each other up and down an old sycamore tree and knocked a few large branches out of the tree and they came crashing down with much noise. The deer could have cared less. A few looked , others kept right on eating.

As for hearing the arrow? I'm sure they do, but it's WAAAAAAY too late by then. IN the video posted here, no doubt teh deer sees something and reacts. But it's far more likely the limbs of the crossbow and not the arrow that he sees.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I've killed bucks at 50+ yds but they were relaxed and feeding. I've also seen other hunters try long range shots and hit the deer in crazy places as they responded to the sound of the shot. The mind set of the animal should always be considered .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]