Is anyone out there using WOOD ARROWS ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Johnny One Shot

Re: Is anyone out there using WOOD ARROWS ?

Post by Johnny One Shot »

xcaliber wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:03 pm
Nice shooting. I'm into carbon arrows for many reasons, but the wooden arrows have proven to be do well when made correctly. My neighbor uses cedar arrows that he makes for his old long bow. I'm leery about their strength for crossbows however. Glad they work for you.
Yes, cedar can be used for Longbows if they use the correct spine. NOT suitable for any crossbows.
Johnny One Shot

xcaliber wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:45 pm
So what real advantage do you get from these?
From my perspective, IMO they are heavier, so they are easier on my limbs. They are much quieter. They are stronger, more durable. Better penetration. You can personalize them, crowning, cresting and are fun to make. On a 30, and in, yard shot they are superior for penetration. They are also bio-degradable, and you don't have to worry about picking a bunch of carbon fibers out of you deer meat.
Last edited by Johnny One Shot on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I dont dought that you know what your doing with the wood arrows l respect that l just dont see the point. If you were shooting a replica "traditional" period corect crossbow l could see it as people do with traditional vertical bows but even though it can be done why would you take a unnessary risk shooting out of a 3oo plus fps modern bow. It seems in the order of using candles on a Christmas tree.As said not trying to be a downer lts just like why the modern bow and going backwards in the arrow department?you can take any bolt and add brass inserts to weight as much as any wood.l have made many wood arrows in the past and it was very enjoyable making and cresting them so i get you there.
Last edited by longbow joe on Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Johnny One Shot

wabi wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:06 am
What wood(s) do you use?

I used to shoot ash shafts when I used a longbow.
Almost indestructible, but a PITA to try to straighten & keep straight. :lol:
I use a Malaysian redwood, which is a hardwood. Ash is not acceptable for crossbows, as well as any North American wood.
Johnny One Shot

paulaboutform wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:36 am
Okay, I'm just going to say it and not dance around the truth. Shooting wooden shafts from our modern crossbows is foolish. Period! You can't test the structural integrity of the wooden arrows and you're playing Russian roulette by using them. I have no understanding why you would even consider and I don't support even planting this seed in someone's mind. Anyone reading this, DON'T DO IT!

Paul
My question, and what I wanted to know, if there was anyone using wood crossbow arrows? My question to you is what experience do you have with wood crossbow arrows to form those opinions? I'm not telling anyone else to shoot wood crossbow arrows, because most people do not have the experience and testing behind my choice to use wood crossbow arrows. I'm trying to contact people that may have done their own testing, and use wood arrows. Maybe you should be more concerned with guys that are using the cheapest carbons they can buy. Check out the Excalibur thread in 2010 of broken bolts. Also, Check out www.huntersfriend.com/carbon-arrow-safety-public-notice-warningflexitfirst.html if you have a strong stomach or you can also Google "broken carbon crossbow bolts
Johnny One Shot

longbow joe wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:49 pm
I dont dought that you know what your doing with the wood arrows l respect that l just dont see the point. If you were shooting a replica "traditional" period corect crossbow l could see it as people do with traditional vertical bows but even though it can be done why would you take a unnessary risk shooting out of a 3oo plus fps modern bow. It seems in the order of using candles on a Christmas tree.As said not trying to be a downer lts just like why the modern bow and going backwards in the arrow department?you can take any bolt and add brass inserts to weight as much as any wood.l have made many wood arrows in the past and it was very enjoyable making and cresting them so i get you there.
To each his own... I'm confident in my testing, to proceed and use my wood crossbow arrows. What is your experience with wood crossbow arrows to make your claims? Where is your data to prove it is a risk? I'd be interested to read it. How do you know how much testing and what tests I have performed in my extensive testing? See the sites I have offered on a previous comment regarding the unsafe carbon arrows.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

If you're happy with them suit yourself. No disrespect intended, I just don't agree. I understand the gratifying nature of making your equipment traditional but it's something I would consider using with a longbow or recurve. As far as heavy, you can use aluminum or carbon and achieve weights exceeding 1000gr....like the arrows Danny Miller made for Bill Troubridge for his African hunt...specifically the elephant hunt. Again, if you're happy that's great. I'm not looking for an argument but it's not something I'd recommend to others. I say that with the understanding that you're not telling others to use wood. I do wish you luck in your search for others using wood arrows in their crossbows.

Paul
Last edited by paulaboutform on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Johnny One Shot wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:41 pm
To each his own... I'm confident in my testing, to proceed and use my wood crossbow arrows. What is your experience with wood crossbow arrows to make your claims? Where is your data to prove it is a risk? I'd be interested to read it. How do you know how much testing and what tests I have performed in my extensive testing? See the sites I have offered on a previous comment regarding the unsafe carbon arrows.
Id like to see and im sure everyone else would be interested to see your data. Im assuming that you've also performed extensive testing on the arrows that came with your bow so you established a safe bottom line?
We've all seen the pic of the damage carbon arrows, i think we can all agree that there will always be a percentage of failure with all products. Luckily there are not enough people shooting wooden arrows to provide the internet with more graphic images.
Last edited by janesy on Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

What kind of broadhead and nock are you using on the bolts do you use a glue on or screw adapter. For foc or does the broadhead alone give you enough? I guess being short a bolt is less apt to warp like a longbow arrow.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
DMc

Post by DMc »

To all those that dismiss wooden bolts out-of-hand, keep in mind that wood has well-documented strength records and is used in critical/structural applications all the time. Because it has some already mentioned attributes that make it a good choice for a hunting projectile, it would be nice to see some evidence and not just emotion that it will not work in a modern crossbow.
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

:lol: :lol:
janesy

Post by janesy »

DMc wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:47 am
To all those that dismiss wooden bolts out-of-hand, keep in mind that wood has well-documented strength records and is used in critical/structural applications all the time. Because it has some already mentioned attributes that make it a good choice for a hunting projectile, it would be nice to see some evidence and not just emotion that it will not work in a modern crossbow.
Not to doubt or discredit your arguement, as it is conpletly valid. But we cannot ignor the fact that it is also test to destruction many times over and spec'd by an engineer. Spec'd by an engineer to excess these days for that matter.
Whithout specific knowledge of testing, which has been requested above. Simply shooting an arrow 200 times does not qualify for extensive testing. And that can be said for all material not just wood.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

just do a search. story after story of injuries and risk factors. :roll: if youve found a formula good for you but why would you think this is a good idea. :shock:
DMc

Post by DMc »

Johnny One Shot wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:52 pm
I use a Malaysian redwood, which is a hardwood.....
What wood is this? I have found no information on it.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

My wood crested crossbow arrows. :wink: