Finally Out Priced.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grouse

Re: Finally Out Priced.

Post by grouse »

Just do some research and look for that point where price and value come together. It's easy to do with Excaliburs like it has been stated elsewhere in this thread. Any Excal you can afford will kill deer efficiently. I bought my Axiom when Sports Authority ran a 25% off on anything they offered online. I paid $375 for it brand new and it got me started into crossbow hunting. I bought a 350SE last year for $550 because it was such a nice bow for a price well below comparable bows. Right now I'm looking for a new deer rifle and It looks like Tikka offers a lot of value for one of the lower prices on really good rifles. I know from my own marketing experience that companies will put products out there at really high prices because many people equate price with value and quality. It isn't always the case.
axiom
350 SE
janesy

Post by janesy »

Ive gone out specifically over the last couple years and found NEW rifles and shotguns from the 60/70/80's for my children when they grow up. The prices I have paid reflect 3 and 4 times their value new, but oddly enough the were cheaper that the equivelent gun of today, and quality that cant even be compared.
Ill never be able to give them a house, but i can help them with the fun stuff. If they dont want to use them, thats OK too.

This one's on a new cdl stock, but what 18 year old doesnt want a MINT 700 Classic in 35 whelen, with vintage matching kill bottle for their birthday?
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
galamb

Post by galamb »

In 1957 my Dad bought a brand new rifle for moose hunting. He paid $137 for a Rem 740, 30.06 (I have the receipt :) )

In 1957 the average weekly wage in Ontario was $72/week and the minimum wage was somewhat under a dollar.

So a "half decent" hunting rifle cost about 2 weeks wages.

In 2017 the average weekly earnings (according to StatsCan) is now $986/week and the minimum wage is now 14 bucks an hour.

So if we extrapolate a "half decent" hunting rifle would need to be selling for about almost $1975 today to be an equal burden on the wallet compared to 1957.

Hunting toys have always been expensive it's just back then you weren't gassing up two vehicles, paying internet, cable/satellite/cell phone bills etc.

It's all just perspective and priorities...
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
janesy

Post by janesy »

galamb wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:29 pm
In 1957 my Dad bought a brand new rifle for moose hunting. He paid $137 for a Rem 740, 30.06 (I have the receipt :) )

In 1957 the average weekly wage in Ontario was $72/week and the minimum wage was somewhat under a dollar.

So a "half decent" hunting rifle cost about 2 weeks wages.

In 2017 the average weekly earnings (according to StatsCan) is now $986/week and the minimum wage is now 14 bucks an hour.

So if we extrapolate a "half decent" hunting rifle would need to be selling for about almost $1975 today to be an equal burden on the wallet compared to 1957.

Hunting toys have always been expensive it's just back then you weren't gassing up two vehicles, paying internet, cable/satellite/cell phone bills etc.

It's all just perspective and priorities...
I have bookmarked this post for a reference point in future conversations(negotiations) with my wife for new gear.
Tagged "exibit A".
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

No plans to buy another bow this year even after the ATA!! Lol

:)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Normous

Post by Normous »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:46 pm

Same here, but, after attending the ATA things can change in a hurry I noticed. :D
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

Whatever! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes

Post by newbie »

Boo wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:13 pm

Whatever! :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I hear you! I quit going to sporting goods stores a long time ago. I go in store and walk away with nothing and thinking I have more in my house than Bass Pro has in the store. Amazon is so nice for the few things I need. That way I do not have to put up with people who don't know what they are talking about. :lol: