Scope Guys

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

LongCarbine

Scope Guys

Post by LongCarbine »

Maybe I'm dumb. But could someone explain to me why you can take a duplex rifle scope and adjust the power setting and have the end of the top post be 20 yards cross hairs be 30 and bottom post be 40 . But I was told it won't work on a rifle scope with say a B.D.C reticle . But it does on a crossbow scope, is that not the same thing ? What am I missing ? I have grown to like dialing my arrows in to 20,30,40,50 . That's why my Nikon Bolt sits in a box and not on a bow. As we know there are not a lot of "crossbow scopes" out there.But plenty of B.D.C and Tac scopes. So why doesn't it work with them ?
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
Boo

Re: Scope Guys

Post by Boo »

One issue with some rifles is that they shoot so flat for so far that some spacings do not work (spacing would be too close to use). Happily, there are many that do work. I have a Nikon rimfire scope that works for different ranges using different circles on the lower reticle. With my 300, my max point blank range is just over 300 yards, so within that, I just place the crosshairs in the center of the lungs and shoot. That is how MPBR is supposed to work and it does.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
galamb

Post by galamb »

Just to spell out what Boo stated I will illustrate with say the BDC scope on my 223.

If I zero the crosshairs at 100 yards the next hash (200 yards) represents a drop of 0.9", the 300 yard mark has is a drop of 5.5" from the crosshairs point of aim.

If my bow was making 305 fps and I zero'd at 20 yards the first hash (30 yards) would have to represent an 11" drop and 40 yards would need to compensate for a 25" drop (from the crosshairs).

There just isn't enough (zoom) in a typical rifle scope to account for that. So in a crossbow scope those hash marks are further apart.

You could probably figure out where the rifle hashes would impact so that your crosshair would be at 20 yards, first hash at 24 yards, third hash at 28 yards but you would probably run out of (hashes) before you got past 35 yards.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
rmb721

Post by rmb721 »

The spacing between the duplex and the crosshair changes on the target as the power changes.

Look through a scope at a target while changing power.
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

Thank's Guys . That makes a lot of sense . My Nikon Monarch marks are a lot closer than my Tac -zone .Thanks
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330