Most Sought After '18

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bigbowman

Re: Most Sought After '18

Post by bigbowman »

Wildcatter that’s why I said that the Assassin will appeal to those that truly need to have a crank. Good luck with yours and definitely take care of your health!
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
SEW

Post by SEW »

wildcatter wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:07 pm
I would have went with the 400 bulldog cut down with a Matrix front end fit to it, to give me the same draw length the older 405 had and would have had a personalized 405 Bulldog with an integrated cocker,,
Im impressed with Xcalibur’s preventive thinking. I’d considered putting my original M405 riser on my BD400 to get, maybe, a BD415. But they wisely changed the attachment setup where th Matrix riser cannot be put on the BD rail with our major alterations.
I figured that with the non- overheated limbs, with arrows of at least 425g+, that another fraction of an inch drawlength would be reliable and increase speed 10-15’/sec.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

SEW wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:18 pm
wildcatter wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:07 pm
I would have went with the 400 bulldog cut down with a Matrix front end fit to it, to give me the same draw length the older 405 had and would have had a personalized 405 Bulldog with an integrated cocker,,
Im impressed with Xcalibur’s preventive thinking. I’d considered putting my original M405 riser on my BD400 to get, maybe, a BD415. But they wisely changed the attachment setup where th Matrix riser cannot be put on the BD rail with our major alterations.
I figured that with the non- overheated limbs, with arrows of at least 425g+, that another fraction of an inch drawlength would be reliable and increase speed 10-15’/sec.
That would be much more than 10 or 15 fps, and would be more than the limbs would take that would be a bigger jump than the 380 to 405 in draw length, The different aligning holes is why I would have to machine the rail. I would have to shorten the rail as well to get the same draw length as the 405 from trigger claws to brace, which has to stay at 1" with the matrix front end off the riser rail seam.

But I was the first one who said this was not an issue of the Matrix limbs taking the 405's setup. I had two and shot the live'n chit outa them, and I know you have. it was just getting thru the limb issue that Excal had to figure out. Thoise that think the 400 had the limbs changed because they couldn't take the forward mounting on the Matrix riser are missing the facts. There are a lot of 405's out there and they aint having any more issues, matter of fact there are more daily as I know there are still old stock on some shelves. As they get sold the number of 405's in the field increases,,, and the problems we hear about, decrease!

But no way I would go with a longer draw length, 370 fps with a real world 425 to 440 grain arrow is kicken some serious but, and more than I need. But to have that in a bow shorter than my 380 Mad Max is very tempting!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
PublicLandHunter1

Post by PublicLandHunter1 »

I believe the Assassin will be the bow sought after in the excal line in 2018. The price is higher than the rest of the line offered this year but that reflects the technology put in it. It appeals to a broad target audience so I see it pulling people from the "cam" market to the recurve. I showed it to a co-worker who owns a crossbow with cams and he said he will have to consider it if he buys a new one. Last year his string had to be replaced and the closest dealer was 45 minutes away. I told him that I ordered a new string for my M405 and changed it myself and he agreed I had a better system. He cracked a limb a after his bow and it was off to he dealer again, and his warranty is up this year. So he may become an excal owner sooner than later. Lots of new crossbows on the market that can get the job done but if I were going to spend $2000 it would be on the Assassin.
BD400 with XV530IR scope, HHA Optimizer
Zombie 20 inch with lighted nocks
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Bulldog 380 HHA Optimizer with the XV530IR scope, Triggertech
Spinal Tapps- 18-inch
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
liaf

Post by liaf »

Been years since I have been on the forum but w/o a doubt most sought after bow in 2018 will be the old style xcals. You know the ones with 36 inch width and sound loud as hell. I know you are talking about new 2018 bows but those old ones are just plain, simple and deadly. 175lb phoenix/axiom/ibex up to the 225lbers. oopps forgot to mention the vixen last I heard wasn't it responsible for the largest moose kill in Ontario. Paid $325 for my 2006 phoenix and $350 for my 2007/8 vortex. my zeiss z-points which sit atop my bows cost more money than my xbow. Gotta go and start up my early 80's jeep wagoneer(kidding on suv).
Vortex, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point --Phoenix, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point.
Cw.abeljr

Post by Cw.abeljr »

I really like the new 308 Short Banshee. I will be attending the Harrisburg Great Outdoor Show this Friday and my local Archery Shop has arranged to have me meet the Excaliber Rep at the show and shoot the 308 Short Banshee. I haven't been able to find one locally to handle. Anyway, if I shoot the bow and like it I will order one from my local Archery Shop. I'm not a speed nut and the woods where I hunt are very thick so most shots are under 30 yards. I think the 308 Short will serve me well in my area.
Clyde
Micro 335 Nightmare
Reds/Air Brakes/Sound Deafening system

Axiom 305 SMF
S5/dissipator bars
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Cw.abeljr wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:34 pm
I really like the new 308 Short Banshee. I will be attending the Harrisburg Great Outdoor Show this Friday and my local Archery Shop has arranged to have me meet the Excaliber Rep at the show and shoot the 308 Short Banshee. I haven't been able to find one locally to handle. Anyway, if I shoot the bow and like it I will order one from my local Archery Shop. I'm not a speed nut and the woods where I hunt are very thick so most shots are under 30 yards. I think the 308 Short will serve me well in my area.
Clyde, I'd be interested in your thoughts on the 308 Short along with others I'm sure. Enjoy the show...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
janesy

Post by janesy »

Im going to hold out for a Micro BullPup370.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Cw.abeljr

Post by Cw.abeljr »

Onetimeonly x--> wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:50 pm
Cw.abeljr wrote:
Clyde, I'd be interested in your thoughts on the 308 Short along with others I'm sure. Enjoy the show...
I'll post my thoughts on it after I shoot it. I'll sure try to enjoy myself.....Thanks
Clyde
Micro 335 Nightmare

Axiom 305 SMF
S5/dissipator bars
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

The BD330 would be my pick, not the boat anchor assasin
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

vixenmaster wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:28 am
The BD330 would be my pick, not the boat anchor assasin

So far I really like my B.D 330 . Just to cold to shoot a lot right now . It handles better than my 355 , but we will see when I start poking holes at 60 yards how it stacks up against the old 355.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
Cw.abeljr

Post by Cw.abeljr »

Cw.abeljr wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:35 pm
Onetimeonly x--> wrote:
Cw.abeljr wrote:
I'll post my thoughts on it after I shoot it. I'll sure try to enjoy myself.....Thanks
I shot the 308 Short Banshee today..... I liked the way it felt in my hands being a small crossbow. I was only able to shoot two bolts as the Excalibur range was very busy. Both bolts were about as close together as possible without touching. It is not as quiet as I had hoped but still much quieter than my Axion. The crossbow felt very soild shooting. No noticeable limb vibration. I think I am sold on it and will be ordering one soon.
Clyde
Micro 335 Nightmare

Axiom 305 SMF
S5/dissipator bars
quake

Post by quake »

Cw.abeljr wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:18 pm
Cw.abeljr wrote:
Onetimeonly x--> wrote:

I shot the 308 Short Banshee today..... I liked the way it felt in my hands being a small crossbow. I was only able to shoot two bolts as the Excalibur range was very busy. Both bolts were about as close together as possible without touching. It is not as quiet as I had hoped but still much quieter than my Axion. The crossbow felt very soild shooting. No noticeable limb vibration. I think I am sold on it and will be ordering one soon.
That's great news Clyde. What's your opinion on cocking the 308, compared to your Axiom?
Cabela's Equalizer 370 made by Excalibur- Zeiss Terra XB75
Matrix 380- Trophy Ridge Speed Comp XV530IR
Cw.abeljr

Post by Cw.abeljr »

quake wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:05 pm
Cw.abeljr wrote:
Cw.abeljr wrote:

That's great news Clyde. What's your opinion on cocking the 308, compared to your Axiom?
It's a little harder to pull up than the Axiom but the shorter difference in length that you have to pull makes it not bad at all. I'm going to be 66 years old in May and I'm not a big person (5' 10") so if I can cock it without difficulty most people should also. The overall difference in limb length (36" as oppose to 25") naturally is going to make it a little stiffer to pull even though the speed of the crossbow is basically the same (305 to 308). I awoke this morning thinking of that crossbow so I guess you can say that I am hooked.....LOL....I wish that I could have shot it a few more times but there was quite a few people waiting in line to shoot the different crossbow models that were available to shoot.
Clyde
Micro 335 Nightmare

Axiom 305 SMF
S5/dissipator bars
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Cw.abeljr wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:07 am
quake wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:05 pm
Cw.abeljr wrote:

It's a little harder to pull up than the Axiom but the shorter difference in length that you have to pull makes it not bad at all. I'm going to be 66 years old in May and I'm not a big person (5' 10") so if I can cock it without difficulty most people should also. The overall difference in limb length (36" as oppose to 25") naturally is going to make it a little stiffer to pull even though the speed of the crossbow is basically the same (305 to 308). I awoke this morning thinking of that crossbow so I guess you can say that I am hooked.....LOL....I wish that I could have shot it a few more times but there was quite a few people waiting in line to shoot the different crossbow models that were available to shoot.
Thanks Clyde, most have not seen the new models myself included. Did you get a chance to hold or shoulder any of the other new bows? If so what were your thoughts?
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott