Re: Most Sought After '18

Post by Cw.abeljr »

Onetimeonly x--> wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:12 am
Cw.abeljr wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:07 am
quake wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:05 pm

That's great news Clyde. What's your opinion on cocking the 308, compared to your Axiom?
It's a little harder to pull up than the Axiom but the shorter difference in length that you have to pull makes it not bad at all. I'm going to be 66 years old in May and I'm not a big person (5' 10") so if I can cock it without difficulty most people should also. The overall difference in limb length (36" as oppose to 25") naturally is going to make it a little stiffer to pull even though the speed of the crossbow is basically the same (305 to 308). I awoke this morning thinking of that crossbow so I guess you can say that I am hooked.....LOL....I wish that I could have shot it a few more times but there was quite a few people waiting in line to shoot the different crossbow models that were available to shoot.
Thanks Clyde, most have not seen the new models myself included. Did you get a chance to hold or shoulder any of the other new bows? If so what were your thoughts?
No I didn't. They were available to shoot, but with so many people wanting to shoot the crossbows I didn't want to hold up the line. I would have loved to have shot some of the others but it was the 308 Short Banchee that I wanted to shoot and that the dealer in my area had arranged thru Excalibur to allow me shoot so I backed out of the shooting area after shooting the 308 Short.
Clyde
Micro 335 Nightmare
Reds/Air Brakes/Sound Deafening system

Axiom 305 SMF
S5/dissipator bars
dfinley

Post by dfinley »

I think the assassin will be the most talked about and it will be a good seller. Most of us old former bow hunters know the value of durable equipment and the compound crossbows are not. However, many bow hunters tend to overvalue speed and with a recurve crossbow speed means higher draw weight especially the micro series pushing 300 lbs pull.. In my opinion, the assassin with its built in, silent crank was the only way out of this problem.
I really am concerned about the reliability of the moving trigger box and built in cocking system, time will tell... So personally, I wouldn't buy the assassin.

I think some of the easier draw Matrix series will do well also. I think the Matrix 330 is prefect combination of speed and easy draw weight.. I have a Matrix 380 and can pull it back using the rope cocker, however after about 20 shots i'm pretty much done..

Fred Bear used a recurve vertical bow with heavy arrows that probably traveled less than 200 fps. He took just about every large and dangerous game with this setup. He not only relied on his equipment, but largely on his experience and skill.. In today's hectic world many don't have the time develop the great skill he had and the crossbow does help in this area.. The Matrix and the traditional Excalibur's deliver more than enough speed to kill any game on the planet. Sure using the lower speed bows you may want to consider of using fixed blade broadheads and heavier arrows. Also you will want to get closer to the game, 30 yards or less. I get a feeling of accomplishment when I can get within 10 yards of a white tailed deer, execute a good shot and see the deer drop in my sight...
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

gerald strine wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:05 am
x 2 on the 308 short for me it would be a nice compliment to my 350 , I do not really go for all the sound suppression add on's for my bows so Ill take the Short over the banshee put some Danny miller string stops on it wrap the striup and call it done.
The Assassin I am sure is a great performer but I have not been getting excited about it I like to keep my gear simple,easy to maintain, dependable,and have it look good with simple clean lines.
The Serenity camo for me has no appeal the only color deer can see is blue I feel if they take the Serenity Camo just use shades of Gray on the black stock would be a better option,I think the Serenity Idea was to appeal to women but I feel women who hunt are not all that concerned about feminine camo patterns, they just want gear that fits them , looks good, and works.
Well said. I would be interested in the 308 short, but the colors/patterns, could be better! The rail on the standard short, stands out like a sore thumb. Talk about shine, geesh!
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
Cw.abeljr

Post by Cw.abeljr »

Well I had made up my mind to buy the 308 Short Banchee and then ran across a deal here on the forum for a 335 Nightmare that just couldn't pass up....and I saved myself about $250...just couldn't help myself. What can I say, I'm cheap.....LOL
Clyde
Micro 335 Nightmare
Reds/Air Brakes/Sound Deafening system

Axiom 305 SMF
S5/dissipator bars
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Cw.abeljr wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:06 am
Well I had made up my mind to buy the 308 Short Banchee and then ran across a deal here on the forum for a 335 Nightmare that just couldn't pass up....and I saved myself about $250...just couldn't help myself. What can I say, I'm cheap.....LOL
Cheap naw, Frugal is the way :) Congrats
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
quake

Post by quake »

vixenmaster wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:17 am
Cw.abeljr wrote:
I agree. And you can't go wrong with either one of them. Congrats.
Cabela's Equalizer 370 made by Excalibur- Zeiss Terra XB75
Matrix 380- Trophy Ridge Speed Comp XV530IR
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

quake wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:37 pm
vixenmaster wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:17 am
Cw.abeljr wrote:
I agree. And you can't go wrong with either one of them. Congrats.
Totally agree with these fellas!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!