Time machine

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gundog

Time machine

Post by gundog »

I have been away for 4 or 5 years. Going to get back into the crossbow scene. It's like stepping into the future with all the new bows and gear. Due to having MD in my eyes I have trouble with scopes so I found red dot systems to work better with my vision. I had a Bushnell 1-28 reticle mounted before I took a leave due to life's curves. To my surprise it had became loose inside the sight causing it to move point of impact. Do I try another one or do I try a different brand any suggestions to help me wade trough the red dots out there would be great?
Conserve game hunt with a trained dog
Boo

Re: Time machine

Post by Boo »

First, welcome back :D
Have you looked through a reflex sight yet? Vortex makes a 6 and a 3 MOA reflex sight.
https://www.vortexcanada.net/en/hunting/red-dots/venom/vt-vmd-3103-vortex-venom-red-dot-top-load-3-moa-dot
Some people just like stepping on rakes
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Welcome back to the fold. :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
gundog

Post by gundog »

I took a look at some today along with whatever Cabales had on the shelf. Never really had any time with them in regards to shooting. What pros or cons would there be between them and a red dot System?
Conserve game hunt with a trained dog
Boo

Post by Boo »

I have a Burris Speed Dot and a Vortex Venom. The former looks like a short scope and the later looks like an Ecotech/Holo. The advantage I see of the red dots like the Vortex is better clarity because there is a tube so light management is an issue (reflection of light off the wall of the tube). As well they are smaller and do not need rings. From what I understand, both, if well made, are tough.
One thing red dots do not do for you is use a large objective lens and concentrate the light into a small column of light to your eye, making the image brighter. Make sure you look at a quality sight which will have lens coat to improve light transmission.
One advantage of a red dot over a scope is that you can easily keep both eyes open making it easier to see your intended target in low light.
https://www.google.ca/search?client=ms-android-bell-ca&ei=5j1lWurCNo2zjwTZn7vQBg&sjs=3&q=red+dot+vs+reflex&oq=&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.1.0.35i39k1l3.12106.13171.0.14995.13.8.1.0.0.0.182.821.0j6.6.0....0...1.1j4.64.mobile-gws-serp..11.2.124.3..0j0i22i30k1.102.vgW3vuhsHgo
Some people just like stepping on rakes