FPS v. Penetration

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

FPS v. Penetration

Post by XB I GO »

Is there a resource that shows penetration tests of the same weight arrow with the same weight head at different speeds?

When does speed make a real difference in penetration, with the same projectile?
Normous

Re: FPS v. Penetration

Post by Normous »

Easy info to find really with Google under 30 seconds.

"Arrow speed vs penetration".
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

But I don't see anything with crossbows, or that compares the exact same arrow or bolt at different speeds.
galamb

Post by galamb »

If you have a few evenings to do some intense reading you should google Dr. Ashby's penetration tests.

He did heaps of studies on "just killed" African game (mostly) using different arrow weights at different speed with dozens of different broadheads. While the tests were all done with vertical bows, the (physics) should apply regardless of "what" launched the arrow.

He also did a number of studies that compared the "resistance to penetration" as speed increases.

Some take his findings a gospel, others think it's bunk. But at the end of the day he can back up all his findings with real world tests not some unproven theory or shooting into ballistic gel in controlled conditions.

Worth a read. But if you believe that speed and KE are all important you will probably disregard his findings.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS