Speed, Weight, Accuracy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ferguson Outfitters

Speed, Weight, Accuracy

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

I ain’t no Rocket Scientist but I’ve noticed I can get accuracy out of 100gr head at lower speeds (275-310fps) and the higher the speed, the more FOC weight I need.

Is this the norm?
paulaboutform

Re: Speed, Weight, Accuracy

Post by paulaboutform »

Yes...and the faster the bow the more critical the setup is. ....and FOC. Think of them like race cars vs luxury Sunday drivers :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Big John

Post by Big John »

Paul is exactly correct!! Providing it doesnt go to a "very extreme." What I would suggest as a fun practice session, is to load a wack of different foc arrows and straight out arrow weight variences. I believe you will be quite amazed at what the different arrow combos will produce at different yardages.
I have personally tested an unknown number of combos for people and found alot of cool information. Had I not done this myself, while building thousands of arrows,
I may not have discovered a few really interesting attributes that some combos posses.
We can all come on an help each other with this info, however, finding these out while shooting yourself is very gratifying!!

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
SEW

Post by SEW »

Jerry at Tapp Nation builds very precise arrows. However, I’ve yet to encounter arrows any tighter grouping arrows that Big Johns. They were within 0.2gs. An absolute perfect dozen.

I did a vane test for Boo some time back. He used used shafts. SK200s, SK300s and Blazers.
The tightest groups I ever got were with his SK300s, offset, 26g insert, 170g fp, 18” Zombie, flat plastic insert. I got right at 1” , 100 yd, 3-shot groups (1.2”). With individual arrows, I could get just sub 1”. I get 1 1/2” at best with mine and better with a Big Johns. Big Johns were Blazer equipped at my asking. I think SK 300s in offset are difficult to equal.

You don’t go wrong with Big John arrows!