Wisconsin Crossbow Trial time frame ending

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

elkaholic

Re: Wisconsin Crossbow Trial time frame ending

Post by elkaholic »

I bought my crossbow tag and got 3 doe tags for marquete co. I shoulda said 4 tags on one license . that was before they offered any leftovers !

I did get a left over for onieda co. on the second round /leftovers so I basically had 5 tags and coulda bought more for the co.'s that still had them after second round of leftovers.
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

Wisconsinbadger wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:10 pm
Are they just talking about limiting the season or are they talking about shortening the amount of time a crossbow can be used during bow season. Either way its a joke theres way more deer in wisconsin than we need and fewer kids are hunting now days less and less every year. Deer kills are on par for all previous years it just doesnt make any sense to me. I live in Wisconsin and hunt here id rather have a crossbow in my area than a rifle.

The way I heard it that there is a thought process that they will continue to allow crossbow hunting, BUT instead of exactly overlapping the existing archery season as it's been, the crossbow season will be more limited than the "archery/bow" season.

(Sort of like how the muzzleloader season in WI is now, there's a ML season, but it's after 2 1/2+ months of bow season and after the regular 9 day deer gun season and it overlaps the late bow season. SO there's a muzzleloader season, just nowhere near prime hunting seasons for the most part.)

I haven't seen the data (yet) but I was told that the statistics show that Crossbows had the highest growth in overall kill and that crossbows also had higher success rates.

The vertical bow only crowd has their panties in a wad over that and there are other impacts.

At one of my larger local archery shops/range, they have more "no Crossbow shooting" signs up on their range than anything AND they still sell crossbows.

(I did further hear that the restriction at that shop, in part, was due to a number of erratic misfires specifically out of the Ravins when they were having their trigger problems).

Without being negative to any crossbow brand, all the advertising about "100 yard" crossbows is fanning these fires somewhat, bringing up the old "primitive weapon" argument.

I guess I'm just telling the WI guys to pay attention to this issue.

I agree that going to the spring game hearings is going to be VERY important this year.
Last edited by ThunderXB on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

Regarding number of WI tags, I have a patrons license which covers both Bow and Crossbow and I hunt NW WI.

I got one bow or crossbow buck tag. (and one gun buck tag.)

If I wanted an anterless tag, in my area of the state you could buy 1 per day at a cost of $12, until the quota for that county ran out.

You also have to buy either a "private land" or "public land" antlerless tag. You couldn't use one antlerless tag to hunt anywhere.

Clearly some of the counties that have had the CWD issue, especially SW WI, have been giving out tags left and right in an effort to drastically knock the herd down (which I think they have finally figured out isn't working.)
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I thought about this some-what, and my questions is: How is it proven what method of archery you used to take a kill? What if a certain group decided they wanted to pad the # of crossbow kills by saying they shot a bolt instead of a arrow from a compound knowing that the review is coming up ??
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

one shot scott wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:14 pm
I thought about this some-what, and my questions is: How is it proven what method of archery you used to take a kill? What if a certain group decided they wanted to pad the # of crossbow kills by saying they shot a bolt instead of a arrow from a compound knowing that the review is coming up ??

In WI if you buy a "single" license, you have to select either "archery" or crossbow.

With some all-inclusive licenses, like the patron license, you get "both" archery and crossbow licenses (but still only 1 buck tag between them.)

You can also buy an "archery" tag and upgrade it to also include crossbows.

SO, yes, there is some potential for guys to 'cross register" deer.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Since going to crossbow from vertical bow l have missed a few deer due to range errors and hitting sticks etc. My point ....a crossbow is not the unmissable weapon the purists claim it to be.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
SEW

Post by SEW »

Maybe you WI residents can enlist Ravin’s help for continuing inclusion. They seem to have your best interest at heart.
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

SEW wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:21 am
Maybe you WI residents can enlist Ravin’s help for continuing inclusion. They seem to have your best interest at heart.
I've said that the first time I saw their slogan! They are self serving for a company only! For the money and nothing else!
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

SEW wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:21 am

Yeah, the ironic part is that two of the "100 yard" crossbow manufacturers are located here in WI, Mission and Ravin.

I hope they step up to the plate if necessary when it counts.
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

I'm going to send a reply / comment to dnr -

The whole idea of hunting is to keep the herds manageable- looks like crossbows have been a success in that department during this trail period.

Now your thinking of limiting the season - to not allow a crossbow season to run concurrent with regular archery season -is basically punishing hunters - especially during the best times of the year .

You just passed legislation allow no minimum age for hunters - most (younger) children won't be able to shoot a rifle proficiantly in my opinion

unless assisted with a tripod/ stand to hold it for accuracy- even then the loudness /and recoil can be alarming.

a crossbow is the perfect match for many ( younger) youth hunters. Allowing hunting to be a great experience -especially for first timers

something along this line !
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

The problem is the the WBH are a bunch of greedy folks that DOES NOT want to share the woods with anyone else! They have very deep pockets too!
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

You crossbow guys are killing their deer! I hope Walker keeps crossbows legal for archery.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Hunters against hunters , does not make for a good outlook. if some keep it up there will be no hunting at all. the law will do what they want as far as I am concerned . JMO :(
W.M.
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

I haven't seen the data (yet) but I was told that the statistics show that Crossbows had the highest growth in overall kill and that crossbows also had higher success rates.

thunder, here's an article detailing some of the stats re xbow use for deer in WI:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/outdoors/2018/01/13/hunters-using-crossbows-killed-more-deer-wisconsin-than-crossbow-deer-kill-surpasses-vertical-bow-ki/1016497001/
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

Goose52 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:32 pm
thunder, here's an article detailing some of the stats re xbow use for deer in WI

Goose, THANKS!! for the link.

While I actually know the author, I didn't see the article (mostly because I gave up my Journal-Sentinel subscription when they wanted to double my rate last summer).