Antlers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

LongCarbine

Antlers

Post by LongCarbine »

Had a buck walk across my yard this morning still had both sides on his head . I have shot bucks late Dec. with only one horn on or come off dragging them . But Feb. isn't that getting late ?
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
catclr

Re: Antlers

Post by catclr »

I have trail cam pictures from end of Jan.2018, with both, with one, with none. I have video from years ago of a big rack buck on Palm Sunday, following a doe, as I was out spring gobbler scouting & videoing turkey's in the same field. Not sure if that was end of March or April. Also had one standing on the road end of March, that was 2010.
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
Stab 'em

Post by Stab 'em »

I have heard of the bigger bucks holding on to them into March before. The weather and nutrition probably have a lot to do with it. It got cold fast this year, with a couple warm-ups mixed in. It would be interesting to be able to track this "phenomenon", but it would take years!
Rambeaux

Post by Rambeaux »

I've read/heard it has to do with all eligible doe being bred or not. As in, once all the doe have been bred, the bucks lose their head gear. Correct me if I'm wrong. It's been a while.
Micro 355/XV530IR scope/8pt flemish/DB Killers and bumpers/Slick Trick 150's/16.5" Zombie's
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

In our area they usually hold out till march
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Same here. I get pics every year of bucks into march with their antlers. Seems like here they just drop them so the next pair can get to growing !