Any bear hunters? What's your favorite...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

Any bear hunters? What's your favorite...

Post by XB I GO »

I'm going bear hunting at the end of May. My Dad's friend says that we should be able to see the bears on the camera before we go and know which one to wait for. If we wait for a good one it should be near 300 pounds according to him.

Does anyone have a favorite XBow, bolt, scope or broadhead specifically for bears? We are going to be in a ground blind at 30 yards or a tree stand at 20 yards or less. I might change a few things with my set-up or I might be able to get a whole new set-up, so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks
janesy

Re: Any bear hunters? What's your favorite...

Post by janesy »

There is a solid group of bear hunters here. They will chime in shortly in sure .
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

XB I GO wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:50 pm
I'm going bear hunting at the end of May. My Dad's friend says that we should be able to see the bears on the camera before we go and know which one to wait for. If we wait for a good one it should be near 300 pounds according to him.

Does anyone have a favorite XBow, bolt, scope or broadhead specifically for bears? We are going to be in a ground blind at 30 yards or a tree stand at 20 yards or less. I might change a few things with my set-up or I might be able to get a whole new set-up, so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks
Off topic but...
I didn't realize your age until now. I must say, if my son, who's 3 now, puts even half the attention to the outdoors by your age, I will be a very very happy man. And a dream come true for me.

Your getting a good headstart my friend, keep it up and you'll do well. Can't wait to hear about your bear.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

I'm 12 and a half, but my Dad took me hunting on his back when I wore diapers. I shot my first rabbit and turkey when I was 3 years old with a 410 double barrel. I shot my first deer the day before I turned 8. I have hunted and taken deer, hogs, Ibex, Bison, three different rams, muntjac, mountain goat. I've got 3 deer with crossbow and two with regular bow. In 2012 I got the California Upland Grand Slam award - I got a wild pheasant, chukar, CA Valley quail and bobwhite quail all on the same trip. I actually like fishing a little more than hunting! LOL. My Dad was a PH and retired, so he has a lot of great connections that we are blessed with. I am trying to invite friends that are not so blessed to come with us and let them check it out. I play football, basketball and soccer on a team with my brother. My family makes sure we have rules, are held accountable and are faithful. I feel bad for other kids that don't have a lot of stuff or don't do anything with their parents so I try to help them. Thank you for the nice things you said. I pray your boy and you have a lot of fun doing this kind of stuff when he gets bigger.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

XB I GO wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:13 pm
I'm 12 and a half, but my Dad took me hunting on his back when I wore diapers. I shot my first rabbit and turkey when I was 3 years old with a 410 double barrel. I shot my first deer the day before I turned 8. I have hunted and taken deer, hogs, Ibex, Bison, three different rams, muntjac, mountain goat. I've got 3 deer with crossbow and two with regular bow. In 2012 I got the California Upland Grand Slam award - I got a wild pheasant, chukar, CA Valley quail and bobwhite quail all on the same trip. I actually like fishing a little more than hunting! LOL. My Dad was a PH and retired, so he has a lot of great connections that we are blessed with. I am trying to invite friends that are not so blessed to come with us and let them check it out. I play football, basketball and soccer on a team with my brother. My family makes sure we have rules, are held accountable and are faithful. I feel bad for other kids that don't have a lot of stuff or don't do anything with their parents so I try to help them. Thank you for the nice things you said. I pray your boy and you have a lot of fun doing this kind of stuff when he gets bigger.
I want to shake your parents hand! Proud to have you as a fellow forum member. Thank you.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Having the great pleasure of bear hunting yearly with a great group of Forum Members at Big John's stomping grounds near Temagami Ontario has taught me plenty, but I still have much more room for gaining bear hunting knowledge, I might add.

I may first suggest reading the below topic regarding shot placement on bears when you have a chance and begin there. I wish you good luck.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67330&hilit=bear+shot+placement
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

I use a Matrix 405 with 19 inch Zombie Slayer bolts and 125 grain fixed blade Montec G5s. Scope wise I use a Vortex Viper XBR. Best of luck on your hunt.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Never fear young fella. Your Axiom is more than adequate for ol yogi. I've killed my share with the Beast and passed through every one. Looking forward to reading about your hunt.
Hank
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Your axiom and bolt sonics that you killed your deer with are perfect for bear ....just shoot the bear in the proper place and its a done deal.l killed two bears already with a matrix 330 and a boltcuttter my 330 is not much faster than your crossbow. My friend has killed seven bears with his 185 fps longbow so your crossbow is not that slow.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i have shot bears with a longbow and xbows i like ramcats its a good head for bears lots of mech bh out there spitfires have proven themselves patience in waiting for the right shot is the most important thing here take your time a lighted scope is a must for bears in my opinion watch some videos on bears watch how they act at the bait some will stay right there some will take something and leave but they will be back have a good hunt
rmb721

Post by rmb721 »

I shot a 300 pound bear in November of 2016 with a 2219 aluminum arrow and a 100 grain Spitfire Maxx. The bear only went 20 yards.

Good luck with your hunting.
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

I personally like zombieslayers with g5 montecs 😊😊
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

maine hunter wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:55 am
I personally like zombieslayers with g5 montecs 😊😊
That would be my choice when paired up with one of my Micro's. :wink:

gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier