Matrix Mega 405 shooters, a question!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Z-Rider

Matrix Mega 405 shooters, a question!

Post by Z-Rider »

What arrow, vane, insert and broadheads are you finding the most success with? Total arrow weight would also help. Trying to decide what to use for my initial setup when my new 405 arrives next week.

Thanks!
Matrix 380 Xtra / BE Zombie Slayers
Cub / BE Executioners
xcaliber

Re: Matrix Mega 405 shooters, a question!

Post by xcaliber »

I don't have a 405, but I'll offer this advice. Get some Black Eagle Zombie Slayers with 110 grain inserts up front, this will allow you to shoot 100 grain heads and be over 400 total grains. I would suggest you get fixed heads to eliminate any worry of premature expansion, and there are many to choose from that do well. I like the Muzzy Trocar's, NAP Thunder Heads, and Ramcats. I'm setup with about 524 total grains, and they are real thumpers!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Back strap

Post by Back strap »

These people on The Forum won't steer you wrong. An abundance of knowledge that you won't get anywhere else. I like my 405 so much that my next crossbow will probably be another 405.
Matrix 405// Twilight scope/ Vixen master string/ Munch mount/ aircurve 3 kwikee kwiver/ south shore archery 18 in spinal tapps/ plastic nock/ sk300 vanes/ 92 grain insert/100 grain ramcat. Huntin Fishin Lovin everyday. AKA-BUCKY
Normous

Post by Normous »

The arrows I built for my 405 revolved around a 18" Black Eagle Zombie shaft ( Very Stiff), 170 grain FOC mechanical with a 2 blade three inch cut from NAP, 28 grain front aluminum insert, 2" Blazers fletched with the Arizona BOLT Tool topped with a 28 grain GTF Lumenok.

At just over 400 grains the trajectory was accurate and flat. Overall performance was to my liking as one bear and numerous deer can attest to.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
OhioXBowhunter

Post by OhioXBowhunter »

It’s all a matter of personal preference I’ve shot the Diablos that came with my 405 and they shoot good, I’ve used the Black Eagle Executioners also with good results.The best groups I’ve had have been with the Black Eagle Zombies with 92 grain inserts. I prefer the G5 Montecs 125 grain broadheads but I also like the NAP Thunderheads 125 grain,over summer I’m going to try a couple of the new mechanicals on the market to see how they perform.
Have fun shooting the 405 is a blast to shoot.
400 Suppressor TD
Bulldog 440
Matrix 405
Black Eagle Zombies
Black Eagle Executioners
G5 Montecs / Mega meats
Quintehunter

Post by Quintehunter »

xcaliber wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:38 pm
I don't have a 405, but I'll offer this advice. Get some Black Eagle Zombie Slayers with 110 grain inserts up front, this will allow you to shoot 100 grain heads and be over 400 total grains. I would suggest you get fixed heads to eliminate any worry of premature expansion, and there are many to choose from that do well. I like the Muzzy Trocar's, NAP Thunder Heads, and Ramcats. I'm setup with about 524 total grains, and they are real thumpers!
I agree that a good quality fixed blade head will work best. Where I disagree is on the Thunderheads, for some reason I can't get them to spin true on any shaft and they don't fly well for me at speeds above 260 fps. My best luck has always been with Slick Tricks. Same POI no matter what I shoot them out of...
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Really surprised about the T-Heads. I have had to make minor scope adjustments prior to hunting season, but always experienced consistent accuracy once tweaked.
I have had different results, and maybe I'm just lucky. Anyway, there are a bunch of good fixed heads out there to choose from. :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

That’s what I used to always use till I switched to crossbows. Thunderheads were the best, but I gave up on them for crossbows! I just couldn’t get them to consistently fly true out of my crossbows. I have used Shwackers for many years now with excellent results! They never open in flight ever! I do use a stronger shrink wrap on my heads though. I build my own BE Spynal Tapp 20” arrows. I try to stay around 320-350gn and use 100gn broadheads. Good luck and have fun!
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
Back strap

Post by Back strap »

Something else to consider is getting a good string. A factory string will not last very long on that 405.
Matrix 405// Twilight scope/ Vixen master string/ Munch mount/ aircurve 3 kwikee kwiver/ south shore archery 18 in spinal tapps/ plastic nock/ sk300 vanes/ 92 grain insert/100 grain ramcat. Huntin Fishin Lovin everyday. AKA-BUCKY
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Some great points that all lead into the same direction. I've done some extensive long range shooting and this is what I've found to work best.

-18" Black Eagle Zombie Slayer Shafts
-2" Blazer Vanes fletched with the Arizona Rim E-Z Fletch Bolt (tonnes of helical here)
*with plastic nocks*
- 92 grain brass inserts
- 100 grain points
(Total arrow weight around 390gr.)

**with Luminoks**
- 92 grain brass inserts
- 125 grain points
or
- 110 grain brass inserts
- 100gr or 125gr points
***all the shaft are squared using a G5 arrow squaring tool then the nocks and inserts are squared after assembly.

Any of these combinations will be crazy accurate.
Also, check out the Boocustomstrings.com website and learn how to polish your trigger jaws. It'll save you chewing through string servings.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Z-Rider

Post by Z-Rider »

Thanks for all the info so far.
Matrix 380 Xtra / BE Zombie Slayers
Cub / BE Executioners
SEW

Post by SEW »

I bought a second M405. FOCs, Spitfires, Hypodermics, Schwackers and various Slick Trick versions all shoot well from my M405s. Paul's arrows mirror what I've used; especially, the last mentioned that he sent me.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

You might consider polishing your hooks also. Take a look at the inside of the string hooks with a flashlight. If the surface isn't shiny smooth, you wont get the most from your center serving.
Hank
PublicLandHunter1

Post by PublicLandHunter1 »

When I first got my 405 I ordered 22 inch FMJ with factory vanes, brass insert, and 150 grain broad-head. I shot bolt-cutters and Dirt-Naps- the bolt cutters were more accurate than the Dirt Naps. This set up was very heavy and I thought it would help prevent limb issues. I was wrong; after having them replaced I cut the FMJ down to 18.5 and used a bolt-cutter. This set up did not produce the results I wanted so I bought some 20 inch .001 BEE with 110 brass insert. I also switched to Afflictor 150 grain mechanical and had great success last year. For this year I am considering 20 inch Spynal Tapps with 110 brass inserts, SK300 vanes, Nu-fletch lighted nocks, and again Afflictor 150 grain broad-heads. I would like to stay around 475-500 total weight to get the most KE out of the bow. It does tend to eat the serving so I am considering buying a set up so I can do that myself.
BD400 with XV530IR scope, HHA Optimizer
Zombie 20 inch with lighted nocks
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Bulldog 380 HHA Optimizer with the XV530IR scope, Triggertech
Spinal Tapps- 18-inch
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
SEW

Post by SEW »

I got my M380 for a # of reasons: 1) get off the merry go around of constantly "upgrading" to keep up with current technology and to have a supported xbow, 2) to be able to obtain service and get parts/Warrenty service directly, 3) get around the slow getting out of time, 4) extreme, consistent accuracy, 5) economics - buy and keep indefinitely, 6) many others.

Loved it so much that a M405 was added, as well as a used BD400 and used M405.

Excaliburs have lifetime warrenties. Approved for 350g arrows. Fact - once enough energy is obtained, more just sticks the arrow farther in the ground on the other side of the animal or farther away or both. Any legal weight arrow out of the M405 has excessive energy (for deer & bear) out to well past 100 yards.

I tested 380g - 476g arrows in various configurations. My goal is to have the most accurate arrows to 100 yds, lethal, fastest practical and lowest ballistic coefficient = flattest trajectory. I tested a variety of arrows.

Factors concerning trajectory. Least to most drag and control: straight fletch -> offset -> helical (more drag acts like more weight at back of arrow), Least need for to most need for vane control: field point-> expandible -> small fixed BH -> large fixed BH. Fact: once ideal minimum foc is reached, more only contributes to poorer trajectory (more penetration but if more than adequate,more is not needed), longer arrow - needs less foc, thought to "plane" better (?), lighted nocks require heavier insert/BH wt to keep same foc.

If 50 yards is your max, shoot whatever. Trajectory differences will be minor. I'd probably shoot 450-500gs.

If interested in 50-100 yds or inbetween, consider the following (with the M405. 8190 string, 40-44 strands, 4 or 5" serving, 0.036" AM). I've tested from the lightest to heaviest strings. The heavier string the slower the bow shoots but the better the string seems to stay consistent. Common sense. Any new strings I get will be 40 or 42 strands (if 8190) and 4-5" serving.

Expandible : 180-200g combined insert/BHweight, flat plastic nock, 18-20" arrow (depending on length of BH), Zombie, offset, not helical Blazers or SK300s, not 200s. If lighted nocks, add equal wt difference to insert/BH.

Smaller fixed: slightly increase point weight 10-20gs and helical or maybe stay offset with vanes. Try and see.

Medium or large BHs, helical Blazers, even slightly heavier point weight.

With a stiff enough spine, Zombies have stiff spines (do spine index) , more foc than minimally needed doesn't hurt accuracy but worsens trajectory. Greater penetration with more foc is a generally accepted belief; but, if you have excess energy already, so what?

I'm shooting , 92g inserts, 125g Spitfires, 20" zombies, Lumenocks, offset Blazers in one 405. In the other, 80 g inserts, flat plastic nocks, offset Blazers, 100 g Spitfires (will try the 100g hypodermics).

In each, configuration, I have the same but helical and shoot 100 and 125 g Grizz Tricks also.

Without question, the arrow configurations mentioned by Paul and one near the start of this thread will work well. I go to great lengths to maximize trajectory - like getting free additional speed.
Last edited by SEW on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.