Assassin String advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Arrowflinger

Re: Assassin String advice

Post by Arrowflinger »

Figured that would wake some of y'all up :D
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
janesy

Post by janesy »

Onetimeonly x--> wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:47 am
janesy wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:08 am
I think one point that we often forget is that we, as members of this forum, are in the huge minority. We shoot our bow far far more than the average crossbow owner. This is a real problem for us, thats true. And we demand perfection.

But what we often forget, is that 90%+ of crossbow owners will never outshot their string. They will never replace a serving. They will never even know that the latches can wear out a serving. Because if they pull the trigger 3 times a year they are really "using" their bows.
Most consumers sight it in initially(which is pretty darn easy with an excal). Then they shoot one arrow per year practice, and in Ontario one arrow per season :roll: .

So Xcaliber, you're 100% correct, and I too wish they were polished. But if 100 bad latches make it through the system of 100k ordered. I bet only 5 have a noticeable effect, and even less get returned.
jansey, good read. I'm close to the Xbow owner you have described. Although most of my knowledge has come from forum members such as yourself reading here. Best advice I could give is to own two or more strings and carry an extra into the field or have access to a backup if needed...
There is a wealth of knowledge on this board. I'm just repeating what I've learned in the past few years for the guys with decades of experience.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

They tumble the latches in a metal medium. I know first hand that polishing each one is a not a resasonable expectation. What you guys don't know is that it only takes a tiny pin-prick of a blemish to eat a serving, so small that I use a loupe to inspect the ones I polish.
I looked at the pictures and I'm not 100% sure that it is caused by rough latches. The only way to know for sure is to monitor the serving while accumulating shots.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Stab 'em

Post by Stab 'em »

It could very well be a small burr or sharp edge on the rail. I polished my rail and bolt channel with 600 grit, then 1000 grit wet dry paper to knock down the machine tool marks that were causing a slight amount of serving wear and noticeable drag and scratching on my bolts. It is all better now.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

Bcxbow wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:43 am
This is also a totally new, redesigned trigger that may understandably have a few bugs to work out.
Seeing as I had the same issue on my Bulldog 400 and roughly 12 year old Exomax, I think it's safe to say it's not something new. Many Excalibur bows have had this issue and Excalibur really needs to step up their game as these are premium priced bows and there is most definitely room in the budget to have someone inspect for defects when it comes to a part that can easily cause damage or injury.

On my Exomax, the string was cut after a couple dozen shots and resulted in a broken string, splintered limb, broken dissipator pads, and a missed deer. Serving appeared "as new" before loading the bow, but the latches somehow sliced the string enough to cause a failure. After taking the bow apart to check the latches they were so sharp I couldn't believe the string wasn't cut after the first couple shots. My 400 was bad enough I didn't even shoot it once before polishing the latches. I'd expect this on a $600 bow, not one worth over $1000.

10 seconds/part x 60 minutes = 360 per hour. If they pay employees $20/hr that's $0.05 to check each latch. Five whole cents to prevent a lot of headache and grief for their customers.

Maybe it would be wise to stop trying to introduce a new bow every few months and take some time to work on the quality control issues?

Post by newbie »

It looks like separation not from the claws imho.
Did you adjust the string? If so what way did you twist it?
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

The point I was trying to make is that this is a totally new trigger assembly that has not been in any other excalibur crossbow before and the latch is part of the trigger assembly so hopes were high for improvements.

People keep buying new bows with knowledge of the previous issues and then complain about it.

I know Excalibur has done a lot more FOR me in the last 15 years then they’ve done TO me.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
Boo

Post by Boo »

Bcxbow wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:33 pm
The point I was trying to make is that this is a totally new trigger assembly that has not been in any other excalibur crossbow before and the latch is part of the trigger assembly so hopes were high for improvements.

People keep buying new bows with knowledge of the previous issues and then complain about it.

I know Excalibur has done a lot more FOR me in the last 15 years then they’ve done TO me.
The voice of reason speaks! :D
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

If your not happy with your Assassin post it up for sale... :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

Looks like serving separation from when cranking a bow too far after the trigger sets. Seen that many times with people who bought new TenPoint bows with the ACuDraw.
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:09 pm
If your not happy with your Assassin post it up for sale... :)
Buy your own bow Jeff! You know you want one! :mrgreen:
BTC624

Post by BTC624 »

newbie wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:28 pm
It looks like separation not from the claws imho.
Did you adjust the string? If so what way did you twist it?
I did adjust the string Newbie and I turned it counter clockwise to set it so it’s 1/4 inch from the reds. After using a old sting to engage the trigger mech to drop down the claws, I used a light with a jewelers loupe and noticed tiny minor casting divots and the edges were a little rough in my opinion. I started a RMA and really hope they can resolve my issue and gonna go with a custom string. I am not regretting buying this bow as it shoots lights out and I am sure this will get made right. I predict I’ll be replacing the rope on the carrier B4 next fall as I plan tah shoot the hell outta this crossbow. One final thought about weight, I like the weight cause there is no vibration and you get a solid thud when shot, I still think between this and the Raven R20 I made the right choice.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

janesy wrote:
I think one point that we often forget is that we, as members of this forum, are in the huge minority. We shoot our bow far far more than the average crossbow owner. This is a real problem for us, thats true. And we demand perfection.

But what we often forget, is that 90%+ of crossbow owners will never outshot their string. They will never replace a serving. They will never even know that the latches can wear out a serving. Because if they pull the trigger 3 times a year they are really "using" their bows.
Most consumers sight it in initially(which is pretty darn easy with an excal). Then they shoot one arrow per year practice, and in Ontario one arrow per season :roll: .

So Xcaliber, you're 100% correct, and I too wish they were polished. But if 100 bad latches make it through the system of 100k ordered. I bet only 5 have a noticeable effect, and even less get returned.
Yep, but those folks are really missing some quality range time, and good cheap fun! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
janesy

Post by janesy »

xcaliber wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:36 pm
janesy wrote:

Yep, but those folks are really missing some quality range time, and good cheap fun! :wink:
More time for us string twangers!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

justa thought...i wonder if the new latch system causes a different type of stress on the serving when cocking. :?: