Lock and load

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grouse

Lock and load

Post by grouse »

I read a hunting article the other day where a hunter spotted a buck he wanted to shoot and worked the bolt on his rifle and the round wouldn't go into the chamber. He had loaded the magazine with 7mm mag ammo and the rifle was a .270 (7mm ammo must fit into a .270 magazine). This got me to thinking, how many people hunt without a round in the chamber or an arrow ready to shoot? I have seen people on hunting shows load a round just before they shoot and, of course, in movies and TV shows they often work the pump or lever of a weapon to alert the bad guy to get ready (ridiculously illogical).

Maybe I'm not a safe hunter, but I load a round into the chamber of my rifle or shotgun and an arrow on my crossbow before I start walking. Opportunities can evaporate quickly and I want to be ready. Do any of you wait until you are ready to shoot to work a round into the chamber or load an arrow?
axiom
350 SE
LongCarbine

Re: Lock and load

Post by LongCarbine »

I wait until I'm on stand or locate an animal before I load an arrow or chamber a round.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

I’m with you Grouse. When I enter a legal hunting area a round or arrow is loaded.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

As soon as hunting hours are open I am loaded and ready for action with ether bow or firearm.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Round in.

As soon as approached by anyone, action open.

That was our camp rules.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
PublicLandHunter1

Post by PublicLandHunter1 »

My hunt starts when I get in the woods with both my crossbow and rifle. I do however remove the bullet from the chamber or bolt from the crossbow when ascending and descending in my stand. The ride to my spot the gun and bow is unloaded as I have been stopped by conservation agents and the first thing they ask to see is the bolt action. Not sure the cost of the fine but I am sure it is expensive.
BD400 with XV530IR scope, HHA Optimizer
Zombie 20 inch with lighted nocks
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Bulldog 380 HHA Optimizer with the XV530IR scope, Triggertech
Spinal Tapps- 18-inch
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

During this seasons black powder hunt I put my primer in after leaving the truck. My friend asked me why load now? You won't see anything. 2 min later I shot this buck that came out of the woods to check me out.. :) it pays to be prepared...lol

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

If it's legal shooting time, I'm loaded up. Up, and down the stands, unloaded
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

I guess I am in the minority . I will tell you why , Three of us when we were 15 and 16 went after some geese that landed on the river , We were walking at the edge of a corn field to get there . My buddy last in line had a Win. 12 ga, pump . We don't know if he put the hammer down or not but he tripped on a corn stalk and dropped the gun . I was in the middle , the blast just put a few holes in my sleeve but the lead guy got a few pellets in his cheek . It could of been much worst. That was over 40 years ago and every time I handle a weapon I think of that.
Jim
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
janesy

Post by janesy »

LongCarbine wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:51 pm
I guess I am in the minority . I will tell you why , Three of us when we were 15 and 16 went after some geese that landed on the river , We were walking at the edge of a corn field to get there . My buddy last in line had a Win. 12 ga, pump . We don't know if he put the hammer down or not but he tripped on a corn stalk and dropped the gun . I was in the middle , the blast just put a few holes in my sleeve but the lead guy got a few pellets in his cheek . It could of been much worst. That was over 40 years ago and every time I handle a weapon I think of that.
Jim
Great point, I forgot to mention of we are traveling by foot somewhere. Only The lead guy has a round in the pipe.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

janesy wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:11 am
LongCarbine wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:51 pm
Jim
Great point, I forgot to mention of we are traveling by foot somewhere. Only The lead guy has a round in the pipe.
Very smart way to make sure nobody gets shot in front of you !!!
I couldn, agree more . :wink:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
grouse

Post by grouse »

So when you're in a field, pheasant or quail hunting, only one guy has a shell in the chamber? There are other common sense ways to be safe, staying in line, wearing blaze orange, etc. Sober people who are experienced in gun safety can hunt without shooting anybody by controlling their muzzle and keeping their safety on until they see a proper target. Safety is paramount, but it doesn't always require extreme measures.
axiom
350 SE
janesy

Post by janesy »

grouse wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:37 pm
So when you're in a field, pheasant or quail hunting, only one guy has a shell in the chamber? There are other common sense ways to be safe, staying in line, wearing blaze orange, etc. Sober people who are experienced in gun safety can hunt without shooting anybody by controlling their muzzle and keeping their safety on until they see a proper target. Safety is paramount, but it doesn't always require extreme measures.
Deer, Moose and turkey. I dont think you need 12 guys standing around planning a drive holding 35 Whelens chambered do you? Once you disperse to your watch of course your loaded.
And turkey, if you have three guys crawling on the ground through the grass, doesn't it make you feel a bit better knowing that the shotgun bouncing off the ground behind you is not hot?

Common sense won't stop you from getting shot. Unloading the gun will. I don't really consider that extreme. Its a good thing nobody ever makes mistakes at your camp.
Last edited by janesy on Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

Double post.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

depends on the hunt and situation.i mostly leave the gun or bow unloaded til i get to the area im hunting.in my job safety class you learn to take out the hazard then you eliminate the risks. with the crossbow i figure walking to my stand with a cocked bow i should have time to get an arrow out of the quiver and ready to shoot undetected. if the game is on edge and figures me out then it wasnt meant to happen anyway.i focus my energy on getting to my hunt areas and with least noise possible.