Lock and load

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Re: Lock and load

Post by longbow joe »

I shot a few deer over the years walking to and from the truck to stand with a LOADED bow or gun.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
grouse

Post by grouse »

janesy wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:56 pm
grouse wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:37 pm
So when you're in a field, pheasant or quail hunting, only one guy has a shell in the chamber? There are other common sense ways to be safe, staying in line, wearing blaze orange, etc. Sober people who are experienced in gun safety can hunt without shooting anybody by controlling their muzzle and keeping their safety on until they see a proper target. Safety is paramount, but it doesn't always require extreme measures.
Deer, Moose and turkey. I dont think you need 12 guys standing around planning a drive holding 35 Whelens chambered do you? Once you disperse to your watch of course your loaded.
And turkey, if you have three guys crawling on the ground through the grass, doesn't it make you feel a bit better knowing that the shotgun bouncing off the ground behind you is not hot?

Common sense won't stop you from getting shot. Unloading the gun will. I don't really consider that extreme. Its a good thing nobody ever makes mistakes at your camp.
Hunting deer and turkeys are solitary sports to me. I woud never crawl through the grass with three guys to hunt a turkey. The largest number I have ever hunted deer or turkeys with is 3 and we each hunted separately. We all loaded our guns when we left in the morning and unloaded them when we came in. Being safety conscious is more important than any safety procedure. People are shot every year while unloading a gun.
axiom
350 SE
quake

Post by quake »

longbow joe wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:52 pm
I shot a few deer over the years walking to and from the truck to stand with a LOADED bow or gun.
Same here! It's the reason why I rarely use a sling on anything I hunt with.
Cabela's Equalizer 370 made by Excalibur- Zeiss Terra XB75
Matrix 380- Trophy Ridge Speed Comp XV530IR
janesy

Post by janesy »

grouse wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:23 pm
janesy wrote:
grouse wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:37 pm
So when you're in a field, pheasant or quail hunting, only one guy has a shell in the chamber? There are other common sense ways to be safe, staying in line, wearing blaze orange, etc. Sober people who are experienced in gun safety can hunt without shooting anybody by controlling their muzzle and keeping their safety on until they see a proper target. Safety is paramount, but it doesn't always require extreme measures.
Deer, Moose and turkey. I dont think you need 12 guys standing around planning a drive holding 35 Whelens chambered do you? Once you disperse to your watch of course your loaded.
And turkey, if you have three guys crawling on the ground through the grass, doesn't it make you feel a bit better knowing that the shotgun bouncing off the ground behind you is not hot?

Common sense won't stop you from getting shot. Unloading the gun will. I don't really consider that extreme. Its a good thing nobody ever makes mistakes at your camp.
Hunting deer and turkeys are solitary sports to me. I woud never crawl through the grass with three guys to hunt a turkey. The largest number I have ever hunted deer or turkeys with is 3 and we each hunted separately. We all loaded our guns when we left in the morning and unloaded them when we came in. Being safety conscious is more important than any safety procedure. People are shot every year while unloading a gun.
Well they arent solitary for a lot of people. And if you feel safe in a group of a dozen guys assuming they are all on the same page as you, all the power to you.

Fact is they are not.

That was our camp rule. Your mileage may vary, and as long as it works then is a good plan.
Be safe out there, no matter what your plan of attack,
Cheers! :)
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
grouse

Post by grouse »

janesy wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:21 pm
grouse wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:23 pm
janesy wrote:

Well they arent solitary for a lot of people. And if you feel safe in a group of a dozen guys assuming they are all on the same page as you, all the power to you.

Fact is they are not.

That was our camp rule. Your mileage may vary, and as long as it works then is a good plan.
Be safe out there, no matter what your plan of attack,
Cheers! :)
I think our situations are just different and if we traded places we would probably adapt about the same. If I offended you it wasn't intended and I hope you continue to be safe and successful in all of your hunts.
axiom
350 SE
janesy

Post by janesy »

grouse wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:31 pm

I think our situations are just different and if we traded places we would probably adapt about the same. If I offended you it wasn't intended and I hope you continue to be safe and successful in all of your hunts.
Well put, and very true. All good here, gotta keep us all on the same team haha!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme