Money Spent!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

Money Spent!!

Post by ko4nrbs »

This is not a Chinese crossbow slamming thread!! It just doesn't make sense to me to spend money on a crossbow that hasn't been in the field for years like the Excalibur crossbows. I am fully aware some Excalibur crossbows have had problems but they are promptly addressed by Customer Service. In addition Excalibur engineering works to correct design or material problems. That may be difficult to accomplish with a Chinese crossbow no matter who the distributor is.

Advice I gave to a friend of mine.
Money spent on a Chinese recurve crossbow is money you can use to buy a used Excalibur crossbow in excellent condition with more options. In addition you will get a better warranty with proven customer service.

A search on this forum, Ebay or Craigslist can turn up some pretty good deals.

If Excalibur crossbows were new to the market I would also be wary of them as well. I don't like having to be the QC department for any manufacture. Had enough of that before I retired.

I fell better now!!

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
janesy

Re: Money Spent!!

Post by janesy »

We have the I saying here at work...

We don't have time to do it right, but we have time to do it twice!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

Sometimes people have very limited funds and can only afford the cheaper bows. Not everyone has the money to go out and spend $400-500 on a brand name bow! I never knock what anyone chooses for their choice of weapons as long as they work and can ethically harvest game! To each their own! :D
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

bigbowman wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:03 pm
Sometimes people have very limited funds and can only afford the cheaper bows. Not everyone has the money to go out and spend $400-500 on a brand name bow! :D
That's why I talked him into saving up and avoid the temptation of buying something just because it's cheap. Money ahead in my opinion.

Yes it is to each their own. Just trying to educate someone so he doesn't get disappointed.
Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
SEW

Post by SEW »

I have 4 Excalibur Xbows. The first 2 were bought new(M380 and M405) and 2 used Excaliburs (BD400 & M405). I got a lot more for my money with the latter two.
OhioXBowhunter

Post by OhioXBowhunter »

I look at it this way why spend 200 or 300 on a crossbow then two years later buy another one because the 200-300 dollars broke and no warranty when you can buy an Excalibur and never have to worry about replacing it in two years and get a lifetime of use out of it. :D
400 Suppressor TD
Bulldog 440
Matrix 405
Black Eagle Zombies
Black Eagle Executioners
G5 Montecs / Mega meats
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

Like I said, it’s easy to justify your money but who are we to dictate to anyone else how to spend theirs! Maybe they don’t want to wait two or three years to buy a more expensive Excalibur bow! Maybe they want to buy with what they have to spend now to enjoy hunting like you? So you are basically saying don’t hunt now, save until you can afford a Excalibur bow!
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

bigbowman wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:56 pm
Like I said, it’s easy to justify your money but who are we to dictate to anyone else how to spend theirs! Maybe they don’t want to wait two or three years to buy a more expensive Excalibur bow! Maybe they want to buy with what they have to spend now to enjoy hunting like you? So you are basically saying don’t hunt now, save until you can afford a Excalibur bow!
Good points!!

For what some of the Chinese crossbows sell for a check for a used Excalibur should be tried. If nothing turns up you have to do what you have to in order to hunt.

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

I understand to help a friend by educating them, but sometimes people have to learn by themselves. I have come to believe to let people make their own decisions and I don’t begrudge anyone for their choices. Then again, there are some that will never learn their lesson! Lol All we can do is give some guidance and let them do the rest. 😉
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

bigbowman wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:50 pm
I understand to help a friend by educating them, but sometimes people have to learn by themselves. I have come to believe to let people make their own decisions and I don’t begrudge anyone for their choices. Then again, there are some that will never learn their lesson! Lol All we can do is give some guidance and let them do the rest. 😉
Very true!! The way I explained it to him was thinking about how much value for his money he would be getting no matter what crossbow he bought. Excalibur and Kodabow recurves along with maybe a few others exhibit a lot of value for the money spent. I've looked at a few low end Chinese crossbows and even at the low price they were asking for them the value just wasn't there. Some I would of been afraid to even cock after checking out the limbs.

He has a line on a like new Exocet now for $350.00. Said he would offer them $300.00 for it.

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
OhioXBowhunter

Post by OhioXBowhunter »

Keep your eye on the trading post or Craigslist should be able to find your buddy a good reliable crossbow there to get him started.
400 Suppressor TD
Bulldog 440
Matrix 405
Black Eagle Zombies
Black Eagle Executioners
G5 Montecs / Mega meats
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I currently own 3 pretty ( what I would consider ) expensive Excal. models, especially after up-grading to what I consider to be "Better Scopes". :wink:

Previously, I had other somewhat lower priced Excal models, and up-graded as $ allowed. :D

I will say however, that IMO, you don't have to go "Chinese" for a good crossbow at a great price... :wink:
I personally started with a Parker at $200 to my door, ( very lightly used ) that shot in excess of 300 fps and came with a very decent scope, arrows, and cocking rope.

It got me into the ball game and I have no regrets for going that route. :D

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

L. E. Carroll wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:16 am
I currently own 3 pretty ( what I would consider ) expensive Excal. models, especially after up-grading to what I consider to be "Better Scopes". :wink:

Previously, I had other somewhat lower priced Excal models, and up-graded as $ allowed. :D

I will say however, that IMO, you don't have to go "Chinese" for a good crossbow at a great price... :wink:
I personally started with a Parker at $200 to my door, ( very lightly used ) that shot in excess of 300 fps and came with a very decent scope, arrows, and cocking rope.

It got me into the ball game and I have no regrets for going that route. :D

Gene
I considered that route but wanted to stay with what I knew would be reliable and simple. Right or wrong my bias towards compound bows factored into my recommendation. He has shot my Exomax and is sold on recurves now.

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Rambeaux

Post by Rambeaux »

I bought a couple different wheelies while I let my shoulder heal a bit. I kept going back to my vertical each time. Then I bought a Micro 355. I promptly sold every thing related to a compound after the Micro showed up. Yeah, it's that good!
Micro 355/XV530IR scope/8pt flemish/DB Killers and bumpers/Slick Trick 150's/16.5" Zombie's