WI xbow season

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Goose52

WI xbow season

Post by Goose52 »

More on the WI xbow season drama:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-smith/2018/02/14/smith-bow-hunters-should-avoid-fighting-and-encourage-newcomers/335502002/
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
elkaholic

Re: WI xbow season

Post by elkaholic »

I'd wager money a lot of these diehard "archers " have numerous relatives whom bought and hunted crossbow "WITH THEM " during the archery season.

It actually promotos a family hunting- not eveyone can draw and shoot regular archery equipment

Crossbow hunting during archery season changed all that

bunch of weeniers - whinners - etc.

somebody probably shot "their buck"
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

2018 Wisconsin Hunting and Trapping Seasons Get your regulations faster! Visit dnr.wi.gov to view and print regulations up to one month before they are available in hard copy. Some seasons may be subject to change. Consult the hunting regulation pamphlet(s) or dnr.wi.gov before going hunting.

PUB-WM-153-2018 DEER*

******** Archery & Crossbow Sept. 15–Jan. 6, 2019*********

Youth Deer Hunt Oct. 6 & 7
Gun Deer Hunt for Hunters with Disabilities▲ Oct. 6–14
Gun Nov. 17–25 Muzzleloader Nov. 26–Dec. 5
Statewide Antlerless Hunt Dec. 6–9
Antlerless-only Holiday Hunt Dec. 24–Jan. 1, 2019**

* Please check the 2018 Wisconsin Deer Hunting Regulations for a complete set of dates and unit designations. ▲ This is not a statewide season. More information is available at dnr.wi.gov, keyword: “disabled deer hunt”. **Open only in select Farmland (Zone 2) counties; see 2018 regulations for open counties.

Deer baiting/feeding still banned in Forest, Vilas, Oneida
By Central Office October 25, 2017
Contact(s): Lt. David Walz, DNR Bureau of Law Enforcement - based at Woodruff Service Center, 715-525-1393; Joanne M. Haas - DNR Bureau of Law Enforcement, 608-209-8147
Hunters and wildlife observers in three northern Wisconsin counties - Forest, Vilas and Oneida - are reminded deer baiting and feeding activities are prohibited, Wis. Department of Natural Resources law enforcement officials say.
DNR Conservation Warden David Walz of Woodruff says he understands how area residents may be confused in light of recent rule changes.
"However, in order to protect the state's natural resources - in this case, our white-tail deer population - it is important to follow these baiting and feeding bans in Vilas, Oneida and Forest counties," Walz said. "Looking beyond the borders of these counties, it is important for hunters and wildlife observers in all counties to follow the regulations of each county."
Walz says he sometimes gets questions about feeders for birds and other small mammals. "You may still feed the birds and small mammals, but citizens need to make sure these feeders are within 50 yards of the home and are at a height so a deer cannot access the feeders."
Also, Walz says there were changes to regulations earlier this fall which have affected 15 other counties where baiting and feeding was prohibited due to the presence of chronic wasting disease (CWD) or bovine tuberculosis. The following 15 counties previously subject to deer baiting and feeding prohibitions have changed back to regulated deer baiting and feeding as a result of this proposal's enactment: Barron, Burnett, Calumet, Clark, Dodge, Jackson, Kenosha, Manitowoc, Milwaukee, Polk, Racine, Sheboygan, Washburn, Washington and Waushara.
Walz cautions that it remains important to remember that baiting and feeding restrictions remain in place for 28 CWD affected areas/counties, including Vilas, Oneida and Forest. "And none of these will be lifted this year."
The best idea, Walz says, is to check the county regulations that may prohibit baiting and feeding of deer. Information on this topic can be found on the DNR's website at dnr.wi.gov, keywords "baiting and feeding." More information regarding current baiting and feeding rules in response to CWD detections can be found at keyword "CWD."
During the 2017 deer hunting season, DNR will continue to sample deer within the Southern Farmland Zone and at select locations in the CWD-affected area. To learn more about the 2017 CWD surveillance plan, or for more information on CWD, search keyword "CWD." Hunters are reminded that the surveillance plan identifies where the Wisconsin DNR will be attempting to collect samples from deer however if hunters anywhere in the state are interested in having their animal tested, they should contact their local wildlife biologist for the county they are located.
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

So you think the WI crossbow season will survive as is? Guess again, here is a copy of the crossbow question on the WI DNR Spring Public meeting advisory questionnaire.

I can almost guarantee that we are going to lose the rut if this gets adopted.

It is the single most prejudiced and leading question I have ever seen:

QUESTION 18: Crossbows
In 2014 the Wisconsin Legislature established a crossbow season for deer hunting to help recruit new hunters
and provide additional deer hunting opportunity at a more clement time of the year.
The legislation required the crossbow season run concurrent with the archery season for a minimum of two
years to analyze the results and granted the DNR the authority and responsibility to adjust the crossbow
season after the two-year trial. The Legislature recognized crossbow technology would continue to advance
and today some crossbows already rival shotguns with slugs in both range and accuracy.
The data is in. Crossbows did not produce the anticipated increase in deer hunter numbers. The long season
did create a dramatic shift of both gun hunters and bowhunters into the crossbow season where their odds
(success rate) of harvesting a buck are approaching approximately 50% greater than those of either gun
hunters or bowhunters in their respective seasons. This imbalance and the increased harvest of bucks before
the traditional gun season has created frustration, concern and a further breakdown of Wisconsin’s deer
hunting traditions.
In order to give all deer hunters an equal chance to harvest a buck, and to return the exclusive advantage of a
long crossbow season to the disabled and elderly, it has been suggested to shorten the season for the ablebodied
to reflect the effectiveness of the weapon based on harvest data.
18. Do you support the DNR adjusting the length of the crossbow season, for
those that are not disabled or elderly, to better reflect harvest success
rates of bucks similar to the gun season and archery season?
18. YES____ NO_____
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

sounds like a crossbow company shot them self in the foot. " can shoot like a rifle at 100 yards" :eusa-deadhorse: JMO
W.M.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

again what crossbow comes to mind with ads on the hunting channels . RAVEN ! Does the crossbow people harm in every way ,
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

well, i guess we have to go to the meetings on 4/9 and vote no... if that fails we need to write our politicians. the current political climate in wi certainly seems to indicate a legislature willing and happy to favor voter opinion over dnr policy.
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

W.Miguire wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:05 am
sounds like a crossbow company shot them self in the foot. " can shoot like a rifle at 100 yards" :eusa-deadhorse: JMO
W.M.
bill, i just wish they would leave my feet out of it!
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
SEW

Post by SEW »

ng opportunity at a more clement time of the year.
The legislation required the crossbow season

“clement” ?? Def: mild or merciful. Do most people know the definition of “clement”? I didn’t until I looked it up.

Also, some shotgun slugs/well selected/setup shotguns are truly 200 yd guns. NO xbow I know of has an acceptable trajectory for 100 yard deer hunting and this comes from someone who does all he can to stretch his maximum ethical range. THIS IS A LOADED NARRATIVE TO CAUSE AN INTENDED RESULT.

IF THE DAMAGE OF THE RAVIN ADS HAS EVER BEEN IN QUESTION, THIS SHOULD REMOVE ALL DOUBT!
SEW

Post by SEW »

Goose52 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:56 am
W.Miguire wrote:
W.M.
They shot everybody else in the foot. They’re still having record sales. Wonder about 2 years from now.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

SEW wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:02 am
Goose52 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:56 am
W.Miguire wrote:
W.M.

They shot everybody else in the foot. They’re still having record sales. Wonder about 2 years from now.
2 years from now their record sales will come from infrared detectors to locate poorly shot wounded animals. :thumbdown:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

elkaholic wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:40 am
I'd wager money a lot of these diehard "archers " have numerous relatives whom bought and hunted crossbow "WITH THEM " during the archery season.

It actually promotos a family hunting- not eveyone can draw and shoot regular archery equipment

Crossbow hunting during archery season changed all that

bunch of weeniers - whinners - etc.

somebody probably shot "their buck"
Exactly!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

No matter what anyone says or does the damage is done. where I live it would be imposable for me to attend the meeting and vote . I did contact the DOC and they told me there is no way to vote unless you are there in person. they will do what they want anyway .I don't think the vote means s--- there will be a lot of disappointed folks this season. JMO
W.M.
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

I just sent Ravin a copy of the question and my perspective that they are at least partially to blame for this.

The REALLY sad part is that Ravin is headquartered in Superior, WISCONSIN!!
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
Boo

Post by Boo »

It's not just Ravin, look towards the companies that are chasing the very extreme speeds. While you will be quick to point at Ravin and their selfish idiotic ads, keep your eye on Ten Point. They are without question, the most selfish bow manufacturer in existence. The brought to court small/weak companies to set presidents on technical garbage, somehow :wtf: obtained patents on products currently made but not patented and now are chasing the 500 ft/sec speeds for crossbows. BTW, you can blame Ten Point for Ravin's existence, it's actually their design! Don't get me started on the Crossman Pioneer "Airbow" either! They are at 450 ft/sec! Do you think they'll stop there? NOPE! :eusa-popcorn:
But the bottom line is that we, the public is to blame for wanting all this garbage so soon and before a full US and Canadian inclusion. Alberta aid at least one maritime province still does not allow crossbows in the archery season and with what is coming down the pipes, I don't think it will ever happen. We ask and have money in hand, companies will make it and sell it.
Some people just like stepping on rakes