Re: Aluminun Arrows

Post by gerald strine »

jody5252 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:27 pm
gerald strine wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:26 pm
racking up points wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:28 am
With these high poundage bows stiffer and straighter is best. I don’t understand why anyone would prefer a lesser arrow. What is it about aluminum, other than price, that you like?
I have been shooting aluminum arrows for over 40 years and they are in my opinion not inferior to carbon arrows in any way,
yes they can get bent but carbon arrows can splinter a quick spin of the arrow on my palm tells me if my arrow is bent in seconds.
Aluminum are cheaper for the most part a XX75 shaft is of plenty quality for all hunting needs and yes as stated if you are shooting a micro you can get 2 bolts from one shaft.

I have had vein adhesion issues with carbon arrows and very rarely with Aluminum,
I have twice shoot deer with carbon arrows and hit bone on the far side and had carbon arrows shatter in pieces in the cavity I believe from the leg movement as the deer ran and the bolt was lodged in bone on the far side , makes for a hazardous gutting job a aluminum in this case could also break / bend but not in the sharp splinter fashion the carbon bolts do.
And at the moment I have 11 Autumn Orange XX75 2219 shafts from the 1980es My favorite Easton shaft color/ pattern of all easy to find after a shot
2219 shafts are very durable I have killed 5 deer with the same shaft, just rinse it off put in new blades and hunt, currently this bolt I am refering to is leaning on a tree in Houghton lake ware I found it after it went through a 9 point last fall I forgot to pick it up after recovering my deer on the way out but i will get it next fall I know ware it is and I am sure no one else will be back their,I just hope the slick trick does not rust out to bad as to be unusable it is a cherished 175 gr head.
Anyway aluminum shafts are my go to and I have a bunch of carbon just setting in the basement lonely backups.
WOW! you are lucky to have the Autumn orange XX75's It would be nice if they still made them...
You must be an old trimmer you know like I do that finding the shaft is wonderful to reuse and collect intell after the shot and the Autumn orange shafts are my favorite for this, they are a beautiful anodized orange pleasant to look at and much easier to find than a camo arrow that tiny bit of camo on the arrow is a negative in my opinion just makes you buy more arrows after the shot.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I have not really heard much about this on the forum put Excalibur is offering Aluminum arrows on the accessories sight, the picture they show is actually an arrow but I assume they are selling flat nocked bolts.
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/accessories/arrows-accessories/
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

gerald strine wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:54 pm
Ekkie wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:50 pm
That's absolutely awesome... I ordered 2 dozen inserts from them! The ID of a 2219 arrow should be about (22 / 64) - .038... or .30575". I've never measured the exact ID myself, so that's just based on how Easton's numbering system works, and thus might be an approximation. Anyhow, I ordered the .305" static inserts; both a 60 grain pack and a 90 grain pack. The guy on the phone told me the inserts were made out of stainless steel, and he had them in his hand as we spoke.

Thanks much for the tip on where to find these!
~E
hey what is the phone number I did not see it in the sight.
Q: How would you square-up a steel insert? Even if your shafts are squared before installing inserts, won't the inserts need to be squared?
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
Boo

Post by Boo »

If you use the Burt Coyote ASD, it won't be a problem unless you're using the spinning inserts. The reality is that if they are perfect to start with, you won't have to square the inserts.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

jody5252 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:44 pm
gerald strine wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:54 pm
Ekkie wrote:
That's absolutely awesome... I ordered 2 dozen inserts from them! The ID of a 2219 arrow should be about (22 / 64) - .038... or .30575". I've never measured the exact ID myself, so that's just based on how Easton's numbering system works, and thus might be an approximation. Anyhow, I ordered the .305" static inserts; both a 60 grain pack and a 90 grain pack. The guy on the phone told me the inserts were made out of stainless steel, and he had them in his hand as we spoke.

~E
hey what is the phone number I did not see it in the sight.
Q: How would you square-up a steel insert? Even if your shafts are squared before installing inserts, won't the inserts need to be squared?
All my inserts are aluminum at the moment And I shoot 175 grain Broadheads.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Boo wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:57 pm
If you use the Burt Coyote ASD, it won't be a problem unless you're using the spinning inserts. The reality is that if they are perfect to start with, you won't have to square the inserts.
It may be over kill but I do square my inserts and rear plastic knocks I use the F.A.S.T tool

http://www.eaglearchery.com/Lumenok-FAST-Fletched-Arrow-Squaring-Tool/?gclid=CjwKCAiAt8TUBRAKEiwAOI9pAA7K2d8isN6UaNqeLYCItXNbsp5y0ldnrX4ViX_M8Xz28m5W3ZdlHRoCGuEQAvD_BwE

normally the front insert really does not need much help but I find that the plastic Flat rear nocks are concave shaped low in the center string only contacts outer edge this takes some effort to correct but I do it. I color the den to be squared with a sharpe marker and square until all color is cut off
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

gerald strine wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:24 pm
Boo wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:57 pm
It may be over kill but I do square my inserts and rear plastic knocks I use the F.A.S.T tool

http://www.eaglearchery.com/Lumenok-FAST-Fletched-Arrow-Squaring-Tool/?gclid=CjwKCAiAt8TUBRAKEiwAOI9pAA7K2d8isN6UaNqeLYCItXNbsp5y0ldnrX4ViX_M8Xz28m5W3ZdlHRoCGuEQAvD_BwE

normally the front insert really does not need much help but I find that the plastic Flat rear nocks are concave shaped low in the center string only contacts outer edge this takes some effort to correct but I do it. I color the end to be squared with a sharpe marker and square until all color is cut off
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Ekkie

Post by Ekkie »

Ekkie wrote:

~E
I got the inserts from Ethics Archery yesterday.

The 60 grain version is made of aluminum, every insert in the 12-pack weighed 59.8 grains on my digital grain scale. Weighing the whole lot of them came in at exactly 718 grains on the same scale... or 59.83 grains average. In other words, they're really consistent. They're also fairly long... 1-15/32" long. I haven't built any arrows from these yet.

The 90 grain version is made from what looks to be stainless. There was a tiny (+/- .2 grain) variation in the weights... according to my grain scale there were [email protected] grains, [email protected] grains, and [email protected] grains. They're shorter at 7/8". I did put one of these into a 2219 shaft to see how tightly it fit- a tiny, tiny bit looser than the normal aluminum Easton 2219 inserts. Just loose enough to allow it to slide in easily but not loose enough to detect any wiggle at all when in there. I think they'll be just fine for my use.

In the picture below the longer one is the lighter insert.

Enjoy!
~E

Ekkie

Post by Ekkie »

Ekkie wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:33 pm
I got the inserts from Ethics Archery yesterday.

The 60 grain version is made of aluminum, every insert in the 12-pack weighed 59.8 grains on my digital grain scale. Weighing the whole lot of them came in at exactly 718 grains on the same scale... or 59.83 grains average. In other words, they're really consistent. They're also fairly long... 1-15/32" long. I haven't built any arrows from these yet.

The 90 grain version is made from what looks to be stainless. There was a tiny (+/- .2 grain) variation in the weights... according to my grain scale there were [email protected] grains, [email protected] grains, and [email protected] grains. They're shorter at 7/8". I did put one of these into a 2219 shaft to see how tightly it fit- a tiny, tiny bit looser than the normal aluminum Easton 2219 inserts. Just loose enough to allow it to slide in easily but not loose enough to detect any wiggle at all when in there. I think they'll be just fine for my use.

In the picture below the longer one is the lighter insert.

Enjoy!
~E

<image>
The 2219 arrow I put the 90 gn insert into is a standard 20" 2219 Magnum that you can buy in a 6-pack anywhere (like Amazon for example). It has a flat plastic nock and some generic Easton vanes. I cut the original insert out, thus reducing the shaft length to 18.5". The overall length of the arrow as measured from the back of the flat plastic nock to the tip of the 125 grain Grizztrick II broadhead is 20" on the dot.

The arrow without broadhead weighs 387.8 grains. Tipped with the 125 grain Grizztrick II it's at 512.8 grains. The measured FOC (from back of flat nock to the tip of the broadhead) is 14.4%.

Assuming these shoot consistently between each other, they'll make great hunting arrows.

~E

gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

let us know how it goes at the range, looks like a great product.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
SEW

Post by SEW »

gerald strine wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:07 pm

All my inserts are aluminum at the moment And I shoot 175 grain Broadheads.
You should have plenty of those 175g Xbow Tricks!
I don’t understand companies: those orange XX75s and 175Xbow Tricks should really sell well. And XX78s.
SEW

Post by SEW »

I didn’t see the 90g insert on their website.
Ekkie

Post by Ekkie »

SEW wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:50 pm
I didn’t see the 90g insert on their website.
If you're looking for the static version that fits a 2219, there's a dropdown on this page that lets you select the grain weight and the 90 gn is in there:

https://ethicsarchery.com/products/ethics-archery-305-static-insert-12-pk

~E