Aluminun Arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jody5252

Aluminun Arrows

Post by jody5252 »

Call me old school. Call them relics... :mrgreen: I like and still use Alum. arrows! (Easton 2219's) I prefer a heavy arrow for hunting. The arrows I use on my Exocet, are 472/475 gr. Excellent accuracy, out to 50yds.! Not planning on switching, to carbon either. (Easton FMJ's are as close as I come, but they are $$) Please leave comments about Alum. arrows, good and/or bad... I plan on getting a micro in the near future. Still deciding on which one. (308 short, most likely the 315, or the 335) And yes, I want to stay with Alum. arrows... With having to use such a short arrow, would I need to use a brass insert? Would 2216's be a better choice? Should I use 2" vanes with the most helical, or would 3" offset, be ok to use, also?
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
Boo

Re: Aluminun Arrows

Post by Boo »

The shorter the arrow, the more you need guidance front and rear. So use a 110 of 92 gr front insert and lots of helical on your fletchings for best accuracy.
FYI on XX75s
Bolt Size Shaft Weight (GPI) I.D.
2216 12.0 0.313
2219 13.8 0.305
Some people just like stepping on rakes
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Boo wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:48 pm
The shorter the arrow, the more you need guidance front and rear. So use a 110 of 92 gr front insert and lots of helical on your fletchings for best accuracy.
FYI on XX75s
Bolt Size Shaft Weight (GPI) I.D.
2216 12.0 0.313
2219 13.8 0.305
Ware can you heavy inserts for 2219 shafts ?
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Jerry at South Shore Archery comes to mind first. Other than that, try the easton site for other dealers https://eastonarchery.com/dealers/
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I find that the 335 Micro wants a very stiff arrow to be accurate. Zombie Slayers to be exact. How do 2219s compare in stiffness? The 308 or 315 probably won't be as picky.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Ekkie

Post by Ekkie »

I have bought a 72 pack of Easton 2219 Magnum arrows a couple times now. :shock: Leaving the fletchings and rear plastic flat nock in place, I chopped a bunch of them down to around 16" (I don't recall the *exact* length) and put in a new aluminum insert. I tipped them with (the now-unavailable) 175 grain XBow Trick broadheads, and they shot accurately from a Gen I Micro 335 out to 50 yards. They were surprisingly precise from arrow to arrow, and I could hold a 2" group at 50 yds from a bench no problem.

Good luck finding brass inserts for 2219s. If you do, please let me know where! I have tried a few that *almost* fit, and I have added little screws and washers to the inside of aluminum inserts to increase the FOC. I've even had someone turn down a few brass inserts for the larger ID 2317 shaft. None of these experiments turned out as good for me as a plain old aluminum Easton insert and a 175 grain XBow Trick combo.

The only reason I shoot FMJs outta my Matrix is because a heavier insert is indeed available for FMJs, which opens up broadhead possibilities. I'm very happy with 125 grain Grizztrick IIs on the FMJs. Someday I'll do a run of high precision brass inserts for 2219s so I can keep using those with Grizztricks, too. Min order is somewhere around 500 pieces, depending on where you inquire... and it's not cheap.

Anyhow, good luck!
~E
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Dear Ekkie

I am shooting a 350 LE With 2219 shafts and 175 gr slick tricks ,now discontinued, poor decision on Slick Tricks part,I have killed over a dozen deer with them great 4 blade head, they fill a need for heavy heads , I shoot blazer veins and have been happy with the results. I do not shoot deer past 35 yards or practice beyond 40 yards and I square my arrows and I am getting very consistent shot placement out to 40 yards but have not tested it beyond that distance. My foc is 12.8 and hitting a poker chip size bull is no problem at 30 yards With Broadheads.
I was interested in brass inserts when I went from a 22in bolt in an Equinox to a 18.5 in bolt with a 350LE in the new bow, but after changing bows and using the same bolt and B.H combo I still get fine accuracy with 175 grain broad heads.
I am considering A 308 short and may need more foc for the shorter bolt and after my supply of 175 grain heads run out but I found some options that looks promising as an option
I have not found a simple 2219 brass insert offered in my searches , Their is a need for one , if you find one please let me know.
https://www.3riversarchery.com/gold-tip-screw-in-weight-system.html

https://www.3riversarchery.com/pdp-insert-weight-system.html
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

With these high poundage bows stiffer and straighter is best. I don’t understand why anyone would prefer a lesser arrow. What is it about aluminum, other than price, that you like?
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

I use Easton 2216 out of my Matrix 330 and Micro 335.

One reason I use 2216/19 is a bad experience with my vertical and carbon arrows a long time ago. Embed a carbon splinter into your hand once. You will never want to do it again.

Other than that, I can also easily throw together a bunch of arrows in no time. I use a rotation pipe cutter to shorten the bolts to 17.25", press fit flat plastic nocks, NAP quickspin fletching, Easton RPS 2216 insert and 125 grain expandables. They fly straight and group excellent at 40 yds.

By eliminating glue on all except the rps insert, the weights are extremely consistent from arrow to arrow.
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound
Boo

Post by Boo »

I think aluminum shafts are technically more consistent than carbon shafts because of the way that both are made. Carbons are made on a mandrel and carbon and glass fibers are laid down in a few directions. Those few directions and the inconsistencies of the fibers and resin create variables. Aluminum shafts are made from a sheet of aluminum, shaped, welded and ground. I'm not 100% sure about now, but Eastons' most accurate and expensive shaft is the Eclipse which is an aluminum alloy. One of the great advantage of aluminum is that they do not stick in foam like carbons do. But aluminum shafts make more noise on the shot as well.
Having said that, I'm going to back to aluminum. I'm just not careful enough to not damage them on a target, pulling them out of a target or handling them. Carbons can be manhandled and as long as you check them before shooting, they won't give you grief.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

If you folks are looking for inserts there is a firm that makes them . Try , www.ethicsarchery.com 980 429 2070 they will set you up . I have been using them for a long while now . [ spinning insert]
W.M.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I personally prefer a high quality carbon arrow but that's just my preference because I believe it's more durable and precise. That being said, there's nothing wrong with aluminum arrows and when put together well (and still straight) will yield excellent accuracy. The amount of shooting you do and the target you use will determine how long your aluminum arrows last before shaft fatigue sets in. Do not shoot for groups as it's a sure way to dent or bend your arrows rendering them useless. I would stick with the thicker wall 2219.
The nice thing about aluminum arrows is easy removal from 3D or foam type or donaconna targets and the lower initial cost. Also, if shooting a micro, you can take your full length 32" aluminum shaft, cut off the conical nock receiver then cut the shaft in half. This will leave you with two shafts just under 15 3/4" each. So, with the $75-$90 you're spending on a dozen aluminum shafts, you end up with two dozen for the price of one. When I used aluminum arrows I always kept a clean dozen for hunting to ensure straightness. As for the FOC, try them with your 125gr points to see what your results are. If you're not pleased you have options of heavier heads to use.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Ekkie

Post by Ekkie »

I don't consider Easton 2219s to be a lesser arrow. I know the spine is technically weaker than most of the carbons being shot, but arrows built with a 16" 2219 shaft are crazy precise out of a Micro 335. As long as I was using 175 grain heads, that is.

Incidentally, I sold that Micro to my nephew. He got his first deer with it this past season. Shooting one of those cut down aluminum arrows and using a 175 grain XBow Trick. 8)

~E
michigan man

Post by michigan man »

W.Miguire wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:30 pm
If you folks are looking for inserts there is a firm that makes them . Try , www.ethicsarchery.com 980 429 2070 they will set you up . I have been using them for a long while now . [ spinning insert]
W.M.
Which one of their inserts would fit a 2219?
Micro 335, Leupold VX3 1.5X5, 16" BEE"S, Lumenok, 100 grain Swhacker, 100 grain Wac-Em
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

racking up points wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:28 am
With these high poundage bows stiffer and straighter is best. I don’t understand why anyone would prefer a lesser arrow. What is it about aluminum, other than price, that you like?
I have been shooting aluminum arrows for over 40 years and they are in my opinion not inferior to carbon arrows in any way,
yes they can get bent but carbon arrows can splinter a quick spin of the arrow on my palm tells me if my arrow is bent in seconds.
Aluminum are cheaper for the most part a XX75 shaft is of plenty quality for all hunting needs and yes as stated if you are shooting a micro you can get 2 bolts from one shaft.

I have had vein adhesion issues with carbon arrows and very rarely with Aluminum,
I have twice shoot deer with carbon arrows and hit bone on the far side and had carbon arrows shatter in pieces in the cavity I believe from the leg movement as the deer ran and the bolt was lodged in bone on the far side , makes for a hazardous gutting job a aluminum in this case could also break / bend but not in the sharp splinter fashion the carbon bolts do.
And at the moment I have 11 Autumn Orange XX75 2219 shafts from the 1980es My favorite Easton shaft color/ pattern of all easy to find after a shot
2219 shafts are very durable I have killed 5 deer with the same shaft, just rinse it off put in new blades and hunt, currently this bolt I am refering to is leaning on a tree in Houghton lake ware I found it after it went through a 9 point last fall I forgot to pick it up after recovering my deer on the way out but i will get it next fall I know ware it is and I am sure no one else will be back their,I just hope the slick trick does not rust out to bad as to be unusable it is a cherished 175 gr head.
Anyway aluminum shafts are my go to and I have a bunch of carbon just setting in the basement lonely backups.
Last edited by gerald strine on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.