I want to go bear hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Reinyrooster

I want to go bear hunting

Post by Reinyrooster »

I have been trying to set-up some bear hunting excursions the last few years and just haven't been able to make it work. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced outfitter in Ontario for bear, or have a bear camp that has room for another paying customer or two? My hunting buddy would probably wanna join in.
Species8472

Re: I want to go bear hunting

Post by Species8472 »

Whole bunch of variables,

Spring or Fall?
Budget?
How far are you willing to travel?
Assuming you want a xbow hunt?

Not all the outfitters offer spring hunting. Outfitters can range in price from $700 for an econo hunt to $3,000+ for all in fancy/dancy. You did say reasonably priced so $1500?
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Check out Kapriver Outfitters.
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Hunt it wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:43 pm
Check out Kapriver Outfitters.
These guys are excellent. Will cost +/- 2K.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

do your homework and understand your expectations. many places you will end up with just an expensive camping trip if your not careful.in this day and age with trail cams so cheap id look for an outfitter that has active sites and logs to prove things. ask how far apart the sites are. they say 5 miles apart is minimum for good size bears. if your going super budget and just looking for a good time with budds and not expect much then that aint so bad either.just gotta decide what you want out of it. going with a paid outfit statistics on how many sighted in a season as opposed to how many in put the boat at the end of the season in real % is what id look for. in other words decide how many $700-1500 trips you wanna go on as opposed to one $2,000 plus hunt where the % is there for numbers, size, or color phase your looking for. google is your friend.
galamb

Post by galamb »

I fish and upland hunt with a couple of outfitters in the Elk Lake, Matachewan, Shining Tree area (about 700 kms/easy day's drive from Kitchener - about the same distance from where I am in the Kingston area).

There are a few dozen that cater to bear hunters and the success rate is well over 90% with all that I frequent. I was up bird hunting the week after the fall bear hunt wrapped up in Matachewan (Golden Eagle Camp) and 32 of the 35 hunters that had been booked in had tagged out with two missed shots.

Their rates are on the higher end for the area @ $1699/hunter - cabin, baited stand, retrieval AND processing (Bruce the owner skins and cuts up bears for a few outfitters in the area and then freezes everything for the trip home), plus a boat/motor for the week - it's on the Montreal River and the pike/walleye fishing is what takes me up there along with the birds - even after eating Ruff's until the wife and I were sick of them still brought home my 15 possession limit and limits of walleye. A great choice if you want "options" if you tire of bear hunting, want a break for a day or tag out really early.

At 1200 bucks each you can get a cabin/baited stand for a week in Shining Tree at Spruce Shilling Camp. It's a little more "rustic" - we often use it simply as a base for fishing the many lakes in the area.

We (the one or two guys I hunt with) do our "serious" bear hunting on a total "do it yourself" basis (also see bears when deer hunting, but that is incidental). For years we have hunted moose and bear in WMU 25 (north of Cochrane). We "train in" to within about 50 miles of Moosonee. Bears are really at "pest status" up there and they rarely see a human up close and personal. That is a "rough camp" trip - train drops you off at the side of the tracks and you are on your own - no nothing - no cell service but the track crews check in daily when they pass by. But it really is an inexpensive trip for the do-it-yourself group. A day's drive to Cochrane ($200 round trip for gas in my 1/2 ton), flea-bag motel overnight in Cochrane ($80), train trip up and back ($100'ish round trip) - camp on crown land - another 80 bucks for a flea-bag motel on the way out (train gets in late and it's nice to have a shower before heading home) - lot's of bears. Took two in 2016 and chased another half dozen away when they got too curiously close to camp. Don't need stands or blinds or anything there - keeping them away is the greater challenge then getting them to show up.

If anyone is up for the above adventure I would be happy to share any/all details. For two guys (per vehicle/hotel room) it's a "total" $600 trip "for both" including the gas for 1600 km round trip.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

Great info everyone, thanks. Graham, we may need to have a conversation. I'll get back to you.
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

My dad said you’re welcome to join us. We are going either the last week of May or first week of June. There is a nice cabin and lots of good fishing and you can get two Bears. You could send me a PM and I’ll get my dad to tell you all the details. We also have a bear camp in Maine but that Starts the last Monday in August.
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

Xb I go ....pm sent.
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

Try again please, I did not get anything.
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

I sent you a PM with the info I know....