Re: Cat Whiskers

Post by Cw.abeljr »

Froghunter wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:07 pm
IronNoggin wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:52 pm
Happy Boo chimed in...

I ONLY shoot Boo Strings.
And I specifically request Cat Whiskers on all of them.

They look great, and I do think they dampen it down just a tad.
The deer I have shot with those strings didn't seem to complain too much about the speed loss from my 380 :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog
Nog,

The cat whiskers are ok....but the paracord sling is truly awesome! A Big Thumbs Up on that accessory! 👍 I am going to have to google paracord sling! LOL

Again Awesome!

Enjoy and Be Safe!

Froghunter
+1 On that sling.....awesome.
Clyde
Micro 335 Nightmare
Reds/Air Brakes/Sound Deafening system

Axiom 305 SMF
S5/dissipator bars
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

longbow joe wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:46 pm
Catwhishers definitely work .l find them most effective in the longer exo series bows. Two micro wire ties on each side of the knot prevent knot slippage even on a micro. Im not worried about a three second loss of speed thats obsessive to the max. If your that worried l would bet that you also wax and buff your limbs.
I'm not worried about anything but just don't see any benefit from them...or any noise quieting stuff that costs you arrow speed. Other things like filling the rail or wrapping the stirrup or arrow retainer spring...those are fine if you want to do them IMO because they don't waste energy. Yes we have energy to spare but why waste it? It's the same reason I don't shoot mech. heads. But if you want to put them on...go for it....I'm just explaining why I don't use them. They do not work to as much of a degree on a crossbow as they do on a vert bow. On my recurve it's a HUGE HUGE difference in sound. Nog said it above....they may work "just a tad". But the snide little remarks are not necessary or appreciated. You can tell hunting season is over.....cabin fever setting in...
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Boo

Post by Boo »

nchunterkw wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:18 am
longbow joe wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:46 pm
Catwhishers definitely work .l find them most effective in the longer exo series bows. Two micro wire ties on each side of the knot prevent knot slippage even on a micro. Im not worried about a three second loss of speed thats obsessive to the max. If your that worried l would bet that you also wax and buff your limbs.
I'm not worried about anything but just don't see any benefit from them...or any noise quieting stuff that costs you arrow speed. Other things like filling the rail or wrapping the stirrup or arrow retainer spring...those are fine if you want to do them IMO because they don't waste energy. Yes we have energy to spare but why waste it? It's the same reason I don't shoot mech. heads. But if you want to put them on...go for it....I'm just explaining why I don't use them. They do not work to as much of a degree on a crossbow as they do on a vert bow. On my recurve it's a HUGE HUGE difference in sound. Nog said it above....they may work "just a tad". But the snide little remarks are not necessary or appreciated. You can tell hunting season is over.....cabin fever setting in...
Keith, I don't think LBJ was not being snide, it's his sense of humor.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I was not trying to be a jerk . Maby it came out wrong and correct l do indeed have cabin fever ...great diagnosis l just wish you would try two identicle bows side by side one with and one without and then see if you dont hear a noticeable marked difference . Weather the deer care or not is personal and debatable but they do quiet the bow down . Maby l just wanted to defend them being deamed "useless" thats all. If l were to take a shot at a coyote or turkey during deer season and possibly not alert a nearby buck by being a micron more quiet or a nearby homeowner of my presance they are worth the 3fps. Just wanted to point out that it is not always about the deer jumping the string or ducking the bolt maby some hunters find quiet more valuable for different reasons thats all. No offense.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

On a vert bow with the string vibrating back and forth with no stops to hit the whiskers do a lot. In out case the stops shut the string down very quickly so they have less effect. Like with the other things I tried, my guess is that they may change the frequency of the noise a bit, which is the discernable change you hear, but the actual "loudness" is not changed much if at all. Same thing happens with a wrapped stirrup. I've tried all kinds of stuff and while the sounds changes pitch (frequency) it doesn't lose volume. My 2 cents. But hey, if you like them and you think they look cool or whatever, then they are not useless to you. They are performing a function you deem valuable. And no worries.....we're all good.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

If we were truly using the bumpers as originally intended l would agree .But lt seems to be a common practice to go 3/16s gap on the bumpers meaning that the string at best has a millisecond contact with the bumbers at best then its on its lonesome again.This is where the whiskers come in. While on the subject I have found the dr stririp bumpers to really quiet the bow down also being totally stopped on the string stopping vibration as you mentioned.l have them as well.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Watch slow motion video, it looks like the crossbow is going to fall apart! :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I install alot Myself and agree that it's purely subjective, As stated , The longer the limbs the more effective they seem to be.
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
janesy

Post by janesy »

Thinking back a couple winters ago, I was shooting down a long hallway inside, 25 yards. With my matrix 355, another matrix 355 and a cabelas 370. My matrix had an 8pnt string with cat whiskers, and reds. The other matrix 355 was stock string and no reds. There was absolutely a difference in the sound. But I'd say it was more the duration of the sound then the level itself.

I chronied that bow back to back with the 8pnt and a stock string, and the difference was only around 4 or 5 feet. It really wasn't noticable
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

There is an APP for all smart phones, it measures in Db. and it's fairly accurate. You have to have someone hold it close to the bow, but in a consistent location shot after shot. There is a difference but I don't remember how much on the Matrix models. Yes, longer limbs seem to benefit more, but Matrix models do too. Some folks like them, some prefer whatever gain in speed they get, so it is a matter of preference. They look cool too! 8)
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!