Cat Whiskers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cw.abeljr

Cat Whiskers

Post by Cw.abeljr »

Are any of you using Cat Whiskers on your crossbow strings and if you are, what do you think of them??? I used to use them on my compound bow years ago but have never tried them on a crossbow.
Clyde
Micro 335 Nightmare
Reds/Air Brakes/Sound Deafening system

Axiom 305 SMF
S5/dissipator bars
janesy

Re: Cat Whiskers

Post by janesy »

I had them on my matrix, whether they worked or not I don't know. They looked cool
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Cw.abeljr

Post by Cw.abeljr »

janesy wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:44 am
I had them on my matrix, whether they worked or not I don't know. They looked cool
That was my thought.... I know they worked on compounds where the string is long but wasn't sure about crossbows, especially Micros where the string is so short.
Clyde
Micro 335 Nightmare

Axiom 305 SMF
S5/dissipator bars
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Tried them on my Equinox and they came apart when I shot it the first time. :(

Dave
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
Stab 'em

Post by Stab 'em »

I use them on my micro, folded and cut in half and tied/wrapped tight forming a nice round ball. I placed then just outside of the string stoppers for a noticeable improvement.
Boo

Post by Boo »

The shorter the string, the less effective cat whiskers are but the less noise there is to start with. Still, they are more effective than anything else in lowering noise with losing the least amount of speed and if done right, they do not come off. I now use three 1.5" long strips.
http://www.crossbow-review.com/TechCorner/Don_P2.htm
Some people just like stepping on rakes
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Not worth the speed loss IMO. On my recurve vert bow it goes from TWANG! to something that is very quiet. So that's a good trade because the arrow is not going near as fast as from my Micro. But crossbows never get anywhere near quiet enough IMO to make any sound deadening stuff that costs you arrow speed worth it. A heavier arrow helps noise and gives you more momentum IMO that's worth it.

Of course I am speaking with an eye toward hunting....if target shooting please ignore.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Happy Boo chimed in...

I ONLY shoot Boo Strings.
And I specifically request Cat Whiskers on all of them.

They look great, and I do think they dampen it down just a tad.
The deer I have shot with those strings didn't seem to complain too much about the speed loss from my 380 :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Boo

Post by Boo »

nchunterkw wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:08 pm
Not worth the speed loss IMO. On my recurve vert bow it goes from TWANG! to something that is very quiet. So that's a good trade because the arrow is not going near as fast as from my Micro. But crossbows never get anywhere near quiet enough IMO to make any sound deadening stuff that costs you arrow speed worth it. A heavier arrow helps noise and gives you more momentum IMO that's worth it.

Of course I am speaking with an eye toward hunting....if target shooting please ignore.
I will often explain that a Flemish string will lower noise already and that even lower noise will not buy you a deer. But in the end, it's about confidence with one's own equipment. Many do not want a heavier arrow because of it trajectory. It's purely subjective.
Cw.abeljr

Post by Cw.abeljr »

Personally I really don't think that I would put them on a crossbow especially where I hunt. The woods are thick and all my shots are under 30 yards, so that being said the speed of the crossbow at that distance I think would eliminate any advantage of noise reduction from installing Cat Whiskers. I was curious about what everyone thought of their use on crossbows since I had seen several pics of crossbows with Cat Whiskers on them.
Clyde
Micro 335 Nightmare

Axiom 305 SMF
S5/dissipator bars
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

IronNoggin wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:52 pm
Happy Boo chimed in...

The deer I have shot with those strings didn't seem to complain too much about the speed loss from my 380 :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog
And the deer I've shot with my Micro never complained about the noise.. :mrgreen:

Boo is right......it's purely subjective......
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

after 20+ years without them i tried them this past year and i do not know any technical stuff about them but it sure seems like my m355 is more enjoyable to shoot with them. i can actually see my arrow hits its mark while looking through the scope now. fps loss means nothing to me nor did the deer have any complaints :) . i will have another this year so i have a backup just in case
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Catwhishers definitely work .l find them most effective in the longer exo series bows. Two micro wire ties on each side of the knot prevent knot slippage even on a micro. Im not worried about a three second loss of speed thats obsessive to the max. If your that worried l would bet that you also wax and buff your limbs.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Deaf jeff wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:18 pm
after 20+ years without them i tried them this past year and i do not know any technical stuff about them but it sure seems like my m355 is more enjoyable to shoot with them. i can actually see my arrow hits its mark while looking through the scope now. fps loss means nothing to me nor did the deer have any complaints :) . i will have another this year so i have a backup just in case
Most definitely lowers recoil. Watching through the scope encouraged follow through for better accuracy.
Froghunter

Post by Froghunter »

IronNoggin wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:52 pm
Happy Boo chimed in...

Cheers,
Nog
Nog,

The cat whiskers are ok....but the paracord sling is truly awesome! A Big Thumbs Up on that accessory! 👍 I am going to have to google paracord sling! LOL

Again Awesome!

Enjoy and Be Safe!

Froghunter
Deerhide Brown Vixen, Vari Zone Scope, Flemish String,
GT Swift Pro 18”, 110 Grain Insert

Silent Night (308 Short), Dead Zone Scope, Flemish String, B.E. Zombie Slayers 15”, 110 Grain Insert

😎