Exocet 200 and Heavy Bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sbox

Exocet 200 and Heavy Bolts

Post by sbox »

If all goes as planned, I m looking forward to a cape buffalo hunt in RSA in the next 2-3 year few years. I've killed many of the South Africa plains game animals, including a 1800-2000lb Bull Eland with my Exocet 200, a 450 gn bolt including 125 gn 4-blade Slick Trick, which has been a deadly combo for everything Ive shot. But for a buffalo I definitely want to go with a much heavier bolt and a heavier broadhead, maybe 200 grain VPA 2-blade so I can get the penetration into the buff's boiler room. Id love to buy one of the newer more powerful crossbows, but I cant legally use it in my home state of Utah for big game other than during the rifle season, so I really can't justify spending the money if its not necessary since it would be a one time use, so Im hoping to use the Exocet. My shot will hopefully be 50 yards or closer.

To my question..........I've been reading the threads about people shooting a heavy dangerous game weight bolts from the new bigger crossbows but has anyone have any experience with them out of an Exocet or anything of similar wt? From what Ive read Ill need at a minimum a 700-800 grain total weight bolt and heavier if I can.

If so what was the total weight of your bolt w/ BH. And what kind of success have you had as far as accuracy, distance, penetration?

Im also going after a Nile Croc with it in November this year so I'll have a second thread posted asking you all questions about any of you using a gator bolts, points, lines and floats, so watch for that if you have shot these.

Any and all info will be greatly appreciated...

And a big THANK YOU in advance
Excalibur Micro 380, Exocet 200, Phoenix, Vixen, Vixen II
paulaboutform

Re: Exocet 200 and Heavy Bolts

Post by paulaboutform »

Danny Miller built the arrows for Bill T for his elephant hunt with the Equinox. It's faster than yours but not by much. I believe the arrows were fully slugged and weighed about 1000gr.. Full penetration burying in the far offside shoulder from 20yards. If you don't build your own arrows I suggest calling Danny Miller or Jerry at South Shore Archery. If I was building arrows for such a hunt I would find an aluminum shaft which a zombie or executioner would fit inside of. I'd use a 24 hour two part epoxy to bond the two shafts together and would trim the ends with my arrow saw and square them once cured. I wouldn't go with a wide cut broadhead but rather a solid two blade with bleeders or something like a boltcutter or even a Slick Trick standard head. Magnus Stingers or sniffers would also be great. There are many options. Good luck.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Interesting. What kind of speeds would you guys be reports with say 800-1000 gen arrows?
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
DMc

Post by DMc »

http://alaskabowhunting.com/PR/UnderstandingArrowPenetration.pdf

You might find this an interesting article.
Tangle Eye

Post by Tangle Eye »

Interesting article. Kinda like putting a formula to what we already know to be true. Thanks for posting.
———————————————————————————————————
Excalibur Assassin w/ Boo Force 10 string

If you always do what you always did, you’ll always get what you always got.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I think the elephant was taken with an Exomax by Bill T. I have the dvd with it on it .
Boo

Post by Boo »

Danny believes that an Exocet 200 might have done the same thing on an elephant. The arrow was stopped by the offside leg. It would be really a good idea to talk to Danny 740 483 2312 Since Bill's elephant hunt, he's made arrows for other African hunters.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
sbox

Post by sbox »

Thank you everyone. Great advise and I will give Danny a call this week..
Excalibur Micro 380, Exocet 200, Phoenix, Vixen, Vixen II