New to Excalibur Crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ChrisK

New to Excalibur Crossbows

Post by ChrisK »

I recently bought one of the Excalibur Bulldog 330. I look forward to using this crossbow and get more familiar with crossbows. I have very limited experience with them and have many people telling me they are not real bows and many talk about the advantages over other bows. I really wanted one so I could evaluate the advantages and disadvantages for myself.
I have many questions and would like to hear from members here that will have obviously more experience than me with crossbows.
georgiaboy

Re: New to Excalibur Crossbows

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum :D
You will find that the money you spent on your 330 to be one of the best investments you ever made. 8)
The bow you have is bullet proof and deadly accurate. It will handle any game in North America. The fun is setting it up to your needs, ie scope...arrows...strings ets. :)
Excalibur is an excellent company and this forum is a wealth of knowledge so fire away with your questions!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome and ask away
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Welcome to the addiction! :mrgreen:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Welcome to the forum, and remember, we all started out with little knowledge too. There are no dumb questions!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

You must have reasoning power because you bought it. The 330 is all you’ll ever need.
I personally feel the 100gr Boltcutters, Xact, and 100gr Field points out of that bow will
Give you all the options you’ll need.

Goodluck
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Chris K
Weclome to the forum.
Their are a lot of x bow bashers out their but I for one am so pleased they have aloud me to extend my bow hunting experiences as age comes on.
Vertical bow kills and my years hunting with them are cherished memories , it does take more skill to harvest with a vertical bow but as we all know the nature connection is foremost and the x bow has extended my bow season in later years and is very ethical if shots are kept short , it is still archery gear and not a long range tool at live game in my opinion.
The re curve bow allows you to do all your own bow maintenance at home with no need for a pro shop for just about all issues.
Congrats on the great bow you bought and Excalibur is a company that puts its customers first and that has created a loyal customer base , enjoy !
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Cw.abeljr

Post by Cw.abeljr »

I started out with the verticle recurve, then when the compound hit the market basically the same things they are saying about crossbows was being said. Muzzleloader are the same thing. The newer in lines are not truly muzzleloader..... People just aren't open to change.... As has been already said, my shoulder no longer allows me to verticals bow hunt so I am totally happy we now have the crossbow option or my archery hunting would have ended about 20 years ago. I love the Excalibur for their simplicity.

One other thing, when I was going thru Army Helicopter Maintenance School it was drilled into us that the only "STUPID" question, was the question that wasn't asked...
Welcome to the forum.
Clyde
Micro 335 Nightmare
Reds/Air Brakes/Sound Deafening system

Axiom 305 SMF
S5/dissipator bars
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

I don’t know the nature of the ribbing from others you are taking but all of us crossbowers have heard the BS.

Just remember If the bully doesn’t hunt with a longbow in archery season and a flintlock during rifle season then he/she is full of crap.

Just hunt!
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

I purchased this one because it was a recurve and and felt I could do maintenance myself. I didn’t know which would be better micro,micro or full size. Didn’t know which was better 300 or 400 fps. Getting the 330 seemed kind of the middle of the road I suppose.
I have shot my Grim Reapers and Slick Trick SS both being 100 grain. Both shot pretty well. The bolt cutters look similar to the muzzy heads but seem to be assembled differently. I plan to buy a pack and try them out as well.
One complaint guys at work say is that it’s like using a rifle and you can shoot 100 yards. I personally think with this one even though it’s touted as being quieter I don’t know that I would shoot deer past 40 yards. I could be wrong about that I don’t know?
On somethings I can be very opened minded and be convinced to change my mind from time to time. I shoot anything with a string or a trigger. Just never really hunted to much to have a real valid opinion.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

My advice is this. Learn that crossbow inside & out. Make sure you know the string brace height that works best for you. Get comfortable with handling & shooting her, then go hunt whatever you like. You'll be successful without a doubt going into this with the attitude you have. Ask questions here, and take the advise that makes sense to you, you'll be amazed at what folks here have accomplished with their Excalibur Crossbows. As you get used to your bow, you'll expand your limits & expectations, just like the rest of us. Watch as many videos as you can, there are plenty on YouTube.

Good Luck, and have fun! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Your thought on keeping shots under 40 yards is solid it will serve you well, this is not a 100 yard hunting tool unless tool unless you are unethical or desperate. bows seasons are long and the animals deserve well placed shots at short ranges it is not target competition but living things we are trying to harvest for food and no other reason.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
PublicLandHunter1

Post by PublicLandHunter1 »

Welcome to the Excalibur Crossbow "family" lots of knowledge and experience here to let you make good choices regarding the equipment to use with your crossbow. I would not have had the success I had last year if it were not or the information shared threads/posts. Don't worry about the hunters that give you crap about xbow hunting; their jealous u have an excal and they don't.
BD400 with XV530IR scope, HHA Optimizer
Zombie 20 inch with lighted nocks
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Bulldog 380 HHA Optimizer with the XV530IR scope, Triggertech
Spinal Tapps- 18-inch
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
SEW

Post by SEW »

Ferguson Outfitters wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:46 pm
I don’t know the nature of the ribbing from others you are taking but all of us crossbowers have heard the BS.

Just remember If the bully doesn’t hunt with a longbow in archery season and a flintlock during rifle season then he/she is full of crap.

Just hunt!
I agree completely! But will go a step farther, even if the bully hunts with a longbow and a flintlock (or maybe a 60+ twist, roundball only caplock), he’s still using himself as the ideal model or example who should be followed. Those people often have a suppressed lack of self worth for which they’re trying to compensate by succeeding with self imposed handicaps. Somehow, they must do something a little harder than the others , and then look down on those others. These people are called “supremacists”, like White Supremacists”.
Supremacists in any form are a negative in any society. The root cause is a deep seated inferiority complex.

Summary: Just don’t care what those people think or say.
grouse

Post by grouse »

SEW wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:40 am
Ferguson Outfitters wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:46 pm

Just hunt!
I agree completely! But will go a step farther, even if the bully hunts with a longbow and a flintlock (or maybe a 60+ twist, roundball only caplock), he’s still using himself as the ideal model or example who should be followed. Those people often have a suppressed lack of self worth for which they’re trying to compensate by succeeding with self imposed handicaps. Somehow, they must do something a little harder than the others , and then look down on those others. These people are called “supremacists”, like White Supremacists”.
Supremacists in any form are a negative in any society. The root cause is a deep seated inferiority complex.

Summary: Just don’t care what those people think or say.
SEW is exactly right! The people who are critical of your choice are speaking from a position of ignorance. Whether you did your research in advance of your purchase or you just got lucky, you made the right decision.

I wouldn't worry too much about accessorizing your bow right away. The scope, quiver and arrows that come with Excalibur bows are all quite serviceable and you may never need to change them. I would (if I were you) buy a second string from any of the fine string makers you can find on this forum you will also need a string changer (a very simple device you can either buy or make yourself). That way you will never have a hunt spoiled because you need to replace a string.

Welcome, and I look forward to reading about your successful hunts this fall!
axiom
350 SE