Salt licks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

PublicLandHunter1

Re: Salt licks

Post by PublicLandHunter1 »

I like to use trophy rocks, if I can get a 20lb one that is best, if not the 12lb one will do. Also use their granules mixed with Purina Antler Max. I was making my own but found the antler max was same price if I made my own. I just put some trophy rocks out and all are gone but one. I have been robbed- 30+ wild hogs are on my cameras eating the rocks. I wish I had some traps and that would be that! :think:
BD400 with XV530IR scope, HHA Optimizer
Zombie 20 inch with lighted nocks
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Bulldog 380 HHA Optimizer with the XV530IR scope, Triggertech
Spinal Tapps- 18-inch
wabi

Post by wabi »

Years ago we had a regular old farm store salt block out. After a few years (and a few salt blocks) the spot was a hole a foot deep and 3-4 feet wide. Someone gave us a mineral block and we put it in the hole. The mineral block was never touched, and the deer quit using the "lick".
The next year I started a new "lick" with a new salt block in a new location. It's been several years (and a few salt blocks) now, and it is a hole about this size of the old "lick". I buried (as per directions) deer minerals in another location about 30 yards from the salt lick, and the minerals were never touched!
wabi
Boo

Post by Boo »

wabi wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:12 am
Years ago we had a regular old farm store salt block out. After a few years (and a few salt blocks) the spot was a hole a foot deep and 3-4 feet wide. Someone gave us a mineral block and we put it in the hole. The mineral block was never touched, and the deer quit using the "lick".
The next year I started a new "lick" with a new salt block in a new location. It's been several years (and a few salt blocks) now, and it is a hole about this size of the old "lick". I buried (as per directions) deer minerals in another location about 30 yards from the salt lick, and the minerals were never touched!
Deer love salt and hate minerals. Probably too much of a mineral that your deer don't need.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

PublicLandHunter1 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:13 pm
I like to use trophy rocks, if I can get a 20lb one that is best, if not the 12lb one will do. Also use their granules mixed with Purina Antler Max. I was making my own but found the antler max was same price if I made my own. I just put some trophy rocks out and all are gone but one. I have been robbed- 30+ wild hogs are on my cameras eating the rocks. I wish I had some traps and that would be that! :think:
What are trophy rocks??
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

wabi wrote:
This is what I was planning on doing. The mineral block that you mentioned, are the brown ones correct? Did you clear out an area, and dig a hole, or just lay it there?
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

wabi wrote:
possibly that mineral block was meant for cattle :?: i wish i had a way to show my experience with deer mineral. i guess its kinda like anything else in our sport and use what gives you confidence and works for you. every area is different
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
gabowman

Post by gabowman »

Plain salt blocks (like for cattle) works for me.;)
roly

Post by roly »

This is a great thread.... I wanted to put out some licks this spring but had no idea what to use.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Deaf jeff wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:04 pm
every area is different
Exactly! Just like food plots. Some areas brassicas rule, some areas beans rule. Deer have different needs that are dictated by their environments which are all different.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
catclr

Post by catclr »

Here is the reason I stated that using plain white salt is a wast of time as it does no good for your deer, but it is a attractant and will give you pictures of deer, but here is why that's about all the good it does.........this quote is from the Whitetail Hunting Network-------Too much salt can actually have negative effects for deer health and antler growth!
Several studies have shown that steady consumption of salt can have negative effects on deer’s health. Deer have a tendency to eat too much salt or become slightly addicted to it compared to other minerals. The problem is the more salt they eat or acquire, the more water they consume because of thirst. The issue then is all the extra water consumption fills their stomachs and decrease the feeling of needing to eat. So instead of eating and filling their stomachs with high protein forage they feel content and actually don’t eat as much because of the full feeling. This happening over the course of spring and summer can greatly decrease the amount of protein a deer takes in, which can directly affect a buck’s antler growth.

As I have mentioned before I have been guilty of making homemade mineral blends. But after researching it for years and really learning how the minerals work together, I quickly realized my blend was missing a lot of important ingredients and the proper ratios of the different minerals and vitamins. Although the deer was eating my mineral I learned the deer was probably not digesting much of it or getting much benefit from it. Plus I was probably actually hindering antler growth in my bucks some because of the amount of salt and the extra water intake. To be honest, I make my own blends of mineral for my personal use and sell it to some close friends, but due to the complexity of the ingredients and mixing required, I have to get it mixed by a feed company.

Here is the link for the whole article.....https://www.whitetailhuntingnetwork.com/2016/03/28/understanding-deer-mineral-and-how-to-use-it/
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

catclr wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:56 pm
Here is the reason I stated that using plain white salt is a wast of time as it does no good for your deer, but it is a attractant and will give you pictures of deer, but here is why that's about all the good it does.........this quote is from the Whitetail Hunting Network-------Too much salt can actually have negative effects for deer health and antler growth!
Several studies have shown that steady consumption of salt can have negative effects on deer’s health. Deer have a tendency to eat too much salt or become slightly addicted to it compared to other minerals. The problem is the more salt they eat or acquire, the more water they consume because of thirst. The issue then is all the extra water consumption fills their stomachs and decrease the feeling of needing to eat. So instead of eating and filling their stomachs with high protein forage they feel content and actually don’t eat as much because of the full feeling. This happening over the course of spring and summer can greatly decrease the amount of protein a deer takes in, which can directly affect a buck’s antler growth.

As I have mentioned before I have been guilty of making homemade mineral blends. But after researching it for years and really learning how the minerals work together, I quickly realized my blend was missing a lot of important ingredients and the proper ratios of the different minerals and vitamins. Although the deer was eating my mineral I learned the deer was probably not digesting much of it or getting much benefit from it. Plus I was probably actually hindering antler growth in my bucks some because of the amount of salt and the extra water intake. To be honest, I make my own blends of mineral for my personal use and sell it to some close friends, but due to the complexity of the ingredients and mixing required, I have to get it mixed by a feed company.

Here is the link for the whole article.....https://www.whitetailhuntingnetwork.com/2016/03/28/understanding-deer-mineral-and-how-to-use-it/
VERY VERY GOOD INFORMATION :!: :!: :thumbup:
thanks for posting the link :D
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
PublicLandHunter1

What are trophy rocks??

They are mined in the U.S, it is an all natural mineral supplement. One thing I need to research more is the difference between sodium and salt. I was told salt is a product of oil production. I noticed the Trophy Rock web site has a couple new products- one is for water the other for food plots.
Spinal Tapps- 18-inch
PublicLandHunter1

double post :eh:
Spinal Tapps- 18-inch
tipnchip

Post by tipnchip »

I don't know what the laws are in other states but in MN. any lick that has a trace of any kind of food or grain in it is not allowed. It will be considered baiting unless all traces of it are removed 10 days before season.